Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Atwood Landing Gear Motor

I'm am at my wits end on this one. Just bought a used Fleetwood Terry 24 5 Fifth wheel trailer with Atwood landing gear and the attached electric motor to extend and retract the landing gear. When I first purchased the trailer the electric motor moved the legs about an inch. We backed the truck in position and it had to be extended further. Pushed the switch, and nothing happened. Used the handcrank to crank up the landing gear and it turned smoothly with no sign of binding. Thinking it was probably a bad switch, I replaced the switch. No change, still didn't work.

I traced the wires and had Power 12V, Ground and power to the two legs of the switch for the red and yelow wires on the motor. I talked to a local RV dealer and explained the steps taken in troubleshooting this problem and he thought like I did the motor was probably bad.

I ordered a new motor kit which included the prewired switch from Atwood. I connected it in accordance with the directions supplied by the manufacturer. 12 Volts, Ground and the two wires coming from the motor. The moment of truth it still didn't work.

Any ideas? How does this motor ground? There are only the two wires for retraction and extension. It is mounted to a gear box that appears to constructed of a non conductive phenolic material so it can't ground there. I pretty much beating my head against the wall on this one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

I just bought an Alpenlite that has the Atwood landing gear installed. As this is a different setup for me, I don't have any experience with the Atwood system. Did a web search and came across this....I would say from what I read that the motor is grounded through the wires that run to the battery from the motor.

Wiring the Electric Motor for R.V. Landing Gear # 75391

Question:

The switch has 4 connectors for the wires, 2 are at the EXT bottom has a cross over to the RET top, 2 are in the middle, where do I connect the battery + and - and where do I Connect the motor, I keep blowing fuses.
Asked by: DArryl

Expert Reply:

You will first want to mount the motor and switch on the Electric Motor for R.V. Landing Gear, # 75391. Make sure to remove the fuse until installation is complete.

There are 4 wires (2 red and 2 black) on the switch. On the motor, there are two wires (1 red and 1 yellow).

The shorter set of red and black wires on the switch need to be wired to the vehicle battery. Attach the red wire with in-line fuse holder to the positive battery terminal. Attach the black wire to the negative battery post or a clean, paint and corrosion-free bare metal ground.

The longer set of red and black wires on the switch attach to the leads on the motor. The red wire goes to the red motor wire and the black wire goes to the yellow motor wire.

With all of the wiring completed you can install the fuse and the new electric motor-powered landing gear will be ready to use. If you are trying to lift more than 5,000 pounds using the electric motor, it could lead to too much power draw and blow the fuse. Make sure to stay within the capacity of the system.

Expert reply by: Michael H

Did come across this Link on the Atwood landing gear.

Can't say what would cause the motor not to operate if you have proper power, a good fuse and wired correctly. Having a 'new to me' also, I need to find out where everything is located.

workshop

Old 02-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Lets get to basics. 12 volt motor. need good battery connect 2 12ga test leads to + and - on battery. Clip one lead to one wire on motor connect the other lead to the other wire on motor. Motor should run. Reverse the leads and the motor will reverse rotation. If motor runs both ways start troubleshooting from there. The switching has to reverse polarity however it is wired. My Alpenlite has 2 motors and all wiring is 12ga.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Some of the motors have brakes on the end of them. The brakes don't release, until they have 12V power applied to them. I have two of them in my shed that had been replaced, because they didn't work. I simply removed the brakes from them and now the motors work fine. I have a fifth wheel utility trailer and intend to use one of the motors, to operate it's landing gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

Okay here is the answer, the $3.00 circuit breaker that was wired between the battery and the power cable for the motor was tripping and shutting of the 12V to the switch. By the time I got a voltmeter to the wire it had reset, leading all the indications to be that I had a good ground and 12Volts. Problem solved after buying a new switch and motor . Thanks for your replies and help.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs83 View Post
Okay here is the answer, the $3.00 circuit breaker that was wired between the battery and the power cable for the motor was tripping and shutting of the 12V to the switch. By the time I got a voltmeter to the wire it had reset, leading all the indications to be that I had a good ground and 12Volts. Problem solved after buying a new switch and motor . Thanks for your replies and help.
Glad you found it and it was a relatively low cost solution!

We picked up another 5'er last week and the circuit breaker kept tripping, when we stopped for the night. It turned out to be a bad connection at the breaker, but I replaced it anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood