Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Atwood XT 10 gallon WH winterizing question

We bought a 2007 Excel 30RKE last week and stayed in it for 3 days. When I went to de-winterize it, I found that the mixing valve had been bypassed. I figured the mixing valve's check-valve must have been leaking, or otherwise inoperative. When it got winterized, both of the lines for the mixing valve had been connected to each other.

I've read posts about the mixing valve not working, after antifreeze had been put through it. I wonder if this could be the reason it was bypassed.

What I would like to know, is what would be the best way to be able to bypass the mixing valve? When I disconnected the two lines from each other and reconnected them to the mixing valve, one of them leaked. I would like to figure out a way to disconnect and reconnect the two lines, without disturbing the fittings that have the rubber gaskets in them.

Any ideas?

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The photo you show is properly connected, as per the Atwood photos:
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/waterheaterxt.pdf
If you're trying to by-pass the mixing valve, add shut off valves to stop flow through the mixing valve. Rubber gaskets in threaded connections can often be re-used, but if you have or fear a leak, pry the gasket out and take it to a plumbing supply store, they'll fix you up with new gaskets.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the info!
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, winter