Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Auto jacks placement

I'm noticing in pictures where I can see them, that the rear jacks are right behind the tires. This means on a longer rv, there's a lot of the rear unsupported. Just wondering if anyone who has the 6 point levelers sees that as a problem .
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

We have 6 point set-up's with levelers in front of and behind wheels and it works great. We are happy with them.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

Depending on where or for how long, I'll place these under the very back on each side and of course under the frame. Did I really need them...no! But what the hey, I thought it a nice accessory! And it makes for rock-solid living!

As you can see we have quite a "tail-swing" out back!!!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...8Pack+of+2%29+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	136318  
Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #4

I thought those levelers would be very sturdy and then wondered if really were after seeing the placement location on some models.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

The problem with putting them further back is with entering and exiting certain locations. Even retracted, they hang down quite a bit from the mounting points on the frame. They would certainly drag if they were mounted at the rear.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

Just had a 6 point system installed & Equalizer 's crew put the rear jacks about equidistant between rear axle & end of 5er. One set right at the front axle. So far so good.
When looking , I believe Bulldog brand has an electric one that will fold up after retracting.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

Bulldog is the way to go. New Horizons uses them and they are angled out at 2 1/2 degrees. Much more stable than just straight up and down. These small changes make big differences. Why doesn't everyone do this?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Bulldog is the way to go. New Horizons uses them and they are angled out at 2 1/2 degrees. Much more stable than just straight up and down. These small changes make big differences. Why doesn't everyone do this?
They don't have a 6 point controller yet. I started my research back in march & they were working on one but still didnt have intend of July
Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
The problem with putting them further back is with entering and exiting certain locations. Even retracted, they hang down quite a bit from the mounting points on the frame. They would certainly drag if they were mounted at the rear.
We had this problem with our last 5th wheel. It had the scissor jacks at the back and they were damaged several times from dragging on roads and driveways. Our new 5th wheel has the 6 point level system and the rear jacks are right behind the rear axle. We have yet to contact anything with them.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #10

That makes sense, about them dragging. So are they that much sturdier than the "old" type?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
That makes sense, about them dragging. So are they that much sturdier than the "old" type?

Coming from a DP motor home to the fifth wheel, they are certainly not as stable (as far as movement from inside). I have no other towable experience to judge it on. I will say that we do not add any other stabilizers and can live with what movement is there. Most of it is generated from the rear bunk house with the kids goofing off. Normal walking through the RV doesn't generate any noticeable movement.

Auto level and an outside kitchen were my only two requirements when we moved to a towable. After several trips, I am very happy I decided to stick to those. The auto level rivals the DP we had in terms of setup time. Simply unhook the truck from the Andersen, and press a button. Love it.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
On my rear jacks, the install crew moved them just far enough from rear axle that they are still inside a line from bumper to tire & so far no problems.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #13

We have the BigFoot 4 jack systems and elected to get the optional stabilizer jacks in the rear. That works well for us.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We have the BigFoot 4 jack systems and elected to get the optional stabilizer jacks in the rear. That works well for us.

Same thing here & happy with the setup. Our DP was air level only and I'd say the movement is comparable.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7

Tags
ace, jacks