Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Auto level - Elect vs Hyd.

Looking at several new 5th wheels in 30ft to 36ft range.
I want auto level, but some have 4 point some have 6 point.
Some are electric and others hydraulic.

What system do you have and how do you like it? I've had hyd. before on a 40ft Cardinal but don't know anything about the electric system or it's day to day operation.

Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

4 or 6 point, what makes the difference is the lifting capacity of the individual points not whether it is 4 or 6 points. Elec or hydraulic, hydraulic is heavier and more expensive because of all the components and faster operating, so elec lighter and slower. It basically boils down to what you want. I give credit for what I present to a couple of very good service managers who will talk to me outside the confines of the dealership.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

That is a loaded question. When I had my LDT I sure thought those electric jacks were slow. But I had to raise them way up to unhook. Since I got the HDT it is a non issue. HDT has air ride suspension and it's ride height don't change. Believe this is true also of new LDT with air ride suspension. Very little use of jacks now. Electric are cheap and easy to work/replace when needed. Plenty of posts with problems on hydraulic. Jacks leaking down, etc. Not downing them, had it on DRV. I never a problem. If I was shopping and it had or not had auto leveling would not sway me either way.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

We are new to auto jacks, but so far the only thing I don't like about our Lippert electric jacks is I've found it wants (and does) raise one or two wheels totally off the ground,, when it is Totally Not nessesarry... Now I just do it manually with the buttons... I figure if the trailer is fairly level, and the jacks are stabilizing the trailer (5th wheel) we are good...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
So I shouldn't shy away from a trailer just because it has electric instead of hydraulic levelers?

I definitely want auto level, and don't really care which system as long as it does the job in a "reasonable" amount of time. If hyd. leveled it in 2-3 min and elect. in 3-4 min that's OK.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

My 6pt hydraulic levels the th in about 30-45 seconds tops. I have not experienced a leak down yet. I've seen others with electric and they r much slower for sure. Don't know how much they can lift, but I'm sure it's adequate for the job. I think the lippert 6pt level up can lift 50k lbs if I read correctly somewhere.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Have 6 point hydraulic and it works great.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you search around the forums, you'll find discussions on various jack systems. What I remember is the electric systems are made as primarily stabilizing systems and you'll find those as mostly 4-point. They "may" lift the wheels up, but not their intention. The hydraulic, auto levelers are mostly 6-point and made to lift wheels off the ground if need be. I can't comment on the leakage and/or issues with hydraulics. Our 14K Stoneridge 5vr has electrics.
les.warden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #9

Our Big Foot is hydraulic and 4 point. Each leveler can lift 17K and each leveler can work independently. The first time we used it we were scared silly because it moves so fast.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

We have the Lippert four-point system and really like it. I don't know if its fast or slow because its the first we've had so there's nothing to compare to. But, I also don't stand and watch it do its thing. I press the auto-level button and go about doing other things. The system does its thing while I do mine. Very convenient and won't buy another without an auto-level.
dschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #11

I have a 6 pt hyd lippert on a 13 Cardinal and have had no issues . Some situations require you to use manual if the angle is to steep then the auto cannot get it right. A rare instance but easy to do. front jacks will hold 11,000 2 remaining 8,000 each .
Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Seems to me a 6 point system is needed only for a very big trailer or if the jacks are not the strongest. Similar to a 3 axle trailer. I'd rather have 2 stronger axles than 3 lighter ones. Likewise I prefer 4 strong hydraulic jacks to 6 weak ones. My trailer has Bigfoot 4 point system and I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Seems to me a 6 point system is needed only for a very big trailer or if the jacks are not the strongest. Similar to a 3 axle trailer. I'd rather have 2 stronger axles than 3 lighter ones. Likewise I prefer 4 strong hydraulic jacks to 6 weak ones. My trailer has Bigfoot 4 point system and I couldn't be happier.

That mainly depends on the frame. We have the BigFoot as well and are very happy with it.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7