Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Auto Levelers

I've heard that there are pro's and con's to having auto-levelers on a 5th wheel. Been looking at upgrading from a travel trailer to a 5th, and was wondering about the auto-levelers. Your thoughts?
Jeff78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeff, I have hydraulic leveling on my 5th and it is fantastic. The hitch height feature is so easy to use for hooking up when you are ready to leave. The system "remembers" the height you used to unhook and takes the front end up to that height.
When you are ready to level, just have your truck clear because the front end needs to seek low point the raise up and start the front to back level , the it does side to side.
Anytime you want you can reset the zero point level.
So easy to use.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

Agree with JSR, auto level is a great addition to the fiver. The "hitch height" mode, however only works if the leveling requires the system to lower in order to level the rig. It's a safety thing. If unhook position is lower than level, the "hitch height" will not perform.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

It was one feature that was a must have for me when we were shopping and 2 + years on, no regrets. I have been able to service a hub issue while traveling and do bearing service at home with no jacks or worries. No carrying boards for side to side leveling anymore. With bluetooth phone connectivity at hitch time I can raise or lower the nose as needed from the truck to hitch up. From all the forum posts I've seen over the years, issues with the systems seem low (relative to other rv items). I seen issues where the auto-level may not be spot on but that is easy to address manually or via a system re-program. Ours is 6 jack all hydraulic system btw.
K_n_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff78 View Post
I've heard that there are pro's and con's to having auto-levelers on a 5th wheel. Been looking at upgrading from a travel trailer to a 5th, and was wondering about the auto-levelers. Your thoughts?
I will NEVER have another RV without auto level. I had it added to ours . What cons, only pro's for my thinking.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
JDT

It makes leveling so easy even a cave man could do it. The absolute best feature on my fifth wheel.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

Unfortunately, the 2016 AF that we bought didn’t come with it. I wish it had and it seems most new rigs have it as standard equipment, including the new AF models. I considered adding it as I have no intention of trading ours in, but to the tune of $3000-$3500 I think I’ll keep using my Anderson levelers for the time being.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
Unfortunately, the 2016 AF that we bought didn’t come with it. I wish it had and it seems most new rigs have it as standard equipment, including the new AF models. I considered adding it as I have no intention of trading ours in, but to the tune of $3000-$3500 I think I’ll keep using my Anderson levelers for the time being.

Only way to go . I have had them on my 13 from day one not a problem. Just remember to never over extend them.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

I have had a couple situations when I first got our new Bighorn where I had the 6 pt. hydraulic levelers max out but the system alerted me to the fact and recovery was no problem. What issues did ou have? I have since become educated to the system and carry sets of 10x10x4" blocks that I position under the leveler feet that will extend the farthest to limit travel
This makes the rig more stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Just remember to never over extend them.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #10

The self leveling system was a must have on our new fiver. Very pleased with the system and wish my 2013 TT would have had it. Might still be in that instead of the 5th wheel.... Nah!
Encmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #11

And here I thought everyone had them. I love the leveling system. I don't know of any con's.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

6 point auto hydraulic leveling is the bee's knees. Traveling I had a blow out. I was able to lift the right side tires off the ground and remove the wheel/tire and put on the spare.

My 5th wheel was a 2011. That was probably the 1st year it was used. It really is a good option to have

Now the downside - my control panel was finicky. I would hit the "on" button and it would not come on. I had to monkey with it to turn on. This problem seemed to get worse to the point I was going to replace it but I traded the 5th wheel in.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I'll never have another RV without it - it saves so much time/stress/headache. We love it.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #14

We have this feature on our Cedar Creek and my DW does the leveling process, as I pull the truck away from the trailer. This is the easiest system to use to insure that the trailer is level.

One cautionary note that I would suggest, is to make sure you have blocking such as the plastic Lego style pads or and wood under the hydraulic rams first. I have notice that when the rams are extremely extend that the trailer will rock when you walk inside the trailer. When the rams are not extended very far the trailer seems more stable. I usually place about 4-1/2" of wood under the front rams and then three Lego pads in height. under the 4 rear hydraulic rams when setting up. This tends to keep the rams at the right length for trailer stability inside when walking around.

Tags
levelers