Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Auto leveling?

My wife and I are getting ready to upgrade from our 27 ft . travel trailer to a large fifth wheel (36' - 39' ) We are planning to travel quite a bit this summer and see some of this beautiful country
I have been looking at many fifth wheels and we are narrowing our choices. One of the items on my wish list is an auto leveling system, but very few fifth wheels have them. Do any of you have one and if so what do you think? My experience with leveling the TT is that is is sometimes a PITA. How much trouble is it to level a large fifth wheel manually? One salesman told me that fifth wheels are different and you don't need to worry much about side to side leveling...that doesn't make much sense to me....
Hoosblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

Hey Hoosblues,

Salesman is blowing smoke. I've got the Bigfoot Sysem and it's great!!!! Pull up, unhook, push the auto level button, you're done!!!

Regards, Hamshog
Old 02-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Yea and you'll be able to pull that 39'er with a 2500 SRW. Comeon you know salesman BS when you hear it don't you? I don't know what units you are looking at but all of them I looked at 36' + had bigfoot or level-up systems for auto leveling. If it's not on the one you are looking at, you can add it for about $5-$6K. You definitely WANT it.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

We bought a 2011 Cardinal 3450Rl with auto level & love it. Our previous 5er had manual level with wood blocks & was slow & cumbersome! The Lippert auto level works great & we feel is a must have. Go for it!!!
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

I don't know about self leveling. Never seen it on any 5er. However, the salesman's comment about never worrying about side to side leveling is revelation of his willingness to say anything - which translates into not trustworthy for anything else. Don't go there.
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
Yea and you'll be able to pull that 39'er with a 2500 SRW.

Yeah, that'll never work!!! You wouldn't make it 2 miles and the engine, tranny, and rearend will blow and both rear tires will go flat!!!

Regards, Hamshog
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. It confirms my wishlist for auto leveling! I know that I can order a 5er with it, but the ones already on the lot rarely have them. I have been hoping to find the perfect camper, ready to go! I have been looking at Heartland Bighorns and Forest River Cedar Creeks.

BTW, the same salesman also told me that I didn't need a dually to haul a 38 footer....I would not feel comfortable hitching up a 38 footer without a dually.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosblues View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It confirms my wishlist for auto leveling! I know that I can order a 5er with it, but the ones already on the lot rarely have them. I have been hoping to find the perfect camper, ready to go! I have been looking at Heartland Bighorns and Forest River Cedar Creeks.

BTW, the same salesman also told me that I didn't need a dually to haul a 38 footer....I would not feel comfortable hitching up a 38 footer without a dually.

It is not that it needs a dually because it does but it also is dependent on the Gross weight of the rig, the weight of the truck and the gross weight the truck can pull AND weight it can have for pin weight. Be very careful, RV salesman can be lower than the rug, they will say anything to sell you the rig , they act as if they are your best friend and helper, and once you pay, they do not know who you are.
The autoleveling is a nice thing to have but not sure it is worth $5000 extra. The front is electric so you are just talking about the rear stabilizers being electrical. We do it and it is not really a big deal, get a drill and big allen wrench and it is now automatic and then tighten by hand or if it has an end that a socket will fit over then use the drill and socket and drill it down and tighten with the handle EASY and I am no spring chicken.
Sandie115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosblues View Post

Look at the Redwoods, they come with a 6 point auto leveling and depending on the truck you have you don't need a dually (Ford F350 SRW) 39ft long. Empty they're around 12600 with a pin of 2660.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

We added the Big Foot Leveling System to our Carriage 5th wheel over 2 years ago and wouldn't be without one. Push a button and you are level. More time for play that way! Hugs,Di
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

Our Komfort 3530 5th wheel came with the Lippert Ground Control Leveling system. It is incredibly easy to learn and to use. I will never go back to manual leveling again. Push one button to lower the jacks. Unhook the trailer and move the truck. Push the auto level button and your done. To rehook push a button to raise the rear jacks then the rig will raise to match the drop off height for easy rehooking. I sort of over simplified the procedure but you get the idea.
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Auto leveling is great! We just picked up our new Cedar Creek this weekend and the auto leveling is awesome.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #13

I am close to pulling the trigger on a BigHorn 3585RL....trying to decide if I take the one on the lot (without auto levelers) and add it after market later....or order it with the levelers and try to wait patiently for 8 weeks....immediate gratification is a powerful drug, but having the fiver exactly how I want it would be really nice....decisions, decisions.....
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #14

Order it and wait, unless there is a substantial difference in pricing that would allow the installation later. Also, don't believe there are many competent installers nationwide, might have to go to Big Foot or Lippert to have it done.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, leveling