Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #15

On the 4 point 'Big Foot' leveling system can it be used to raise the tires off the ground to change a flat tire?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
On the 4 point 'Big Foot' leveling system can it be used to raise the tires off the ground to change a flat tire?

Our last fiver had Bigfoots and we could easily lift the whole rig about 6 inches off of the ground.

In fact, we had those nasty Goodyear G rated tires (Go-pops); we had 9 blowouts. Firing up the generator and using an electric impact wrench, I could pull over, lift the whole unit off of the ground, change the tire and be on our way in 20 minutes.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfiver View Post
Our last fiver had Bigfoots and we could easily lift the whole rig about 6 inches off of the ground.

In fact, we had those nasty Goodyear G rated tires (Go-pops); we had 9 blowouts. Firing up the generator and using an electric impact wrench, I could pull over, lift the whole unit off of the ground, change the tire and be on our way in 20 minutes.

I would imagine after 9 blowouts you would start looking like a NASCAR crew when it came to changing tires.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #18

We have the Lippert six point leveling system on our 40 ft cardinal and it works great. One thing I have to do is make sure the nose of the camper will go lower that the rear when you push auto level or it will not work. Don't know if all Lippert systems are like that I have never talked with anyone else with leveling system.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #19

Each BigFoot leveler will lift around 17k. One of the best options we have on our 5th wheel.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #20

I have a 6 pt lippert system it is great.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersdad View Post
We have the Lippert six point leveling system on our 40 ft cardinal and it works great. One thing I have to do is make sure the nose of the camper will go lower that the rear when you push auto level or it will not work. Don't know if all Lippert systems are like that I have never talked with anyone else with leveling system.
Ours is.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #22

Angry Questions on about my hydraulic jacks

Hi yall!
Im not really sure how a forum works... so sorry in advance for posting this in the wrong place.. :/ But Im having a problem that keeps me up at night.... i think my jacks are 'leaking' or 'slipping' They pop loudly every few mins... which slightly moves the rv (just enough to get your attention) . At first i thought it was the kitchen slide and living room slide popping but Im thinking now that its the jacks. I feel like the jacks are going to just give out!!
I have front jacks and 4 other ones on either side of the tires, and none in the back of the rv. Im in a 2007 Select suites that im not impressed with. Hopefully someone can help me its really irritating!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Lippert has determined that the problem is stiction which is static friction between two objects trying to slide against each other. Apparently, Lippert hydraulic leveling cylinders have enough internal stiction that significant force, caused by expansion or contraction due to temperature change, is required to overcome that stiction. That force causes a significant sudden movement that can be heard and sometimes felt in the rv. Torco RFF 15 has antistiction properties (increased lubricity) that reduce stiction, reducing the force required to produce movement. This results in more frequent subtle movements that produce less noise and shaking. Torco RFF 15 should be available through your local motorsports dealer for less than $20/liter bottle.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Lippert has determined that the problem is stiction which is static friction between two objects trying to slide against each other. Apparently, Lippert hydraulic leveling cylinders have enough internal stiction that significant force, caused by expansion or contraction due to temperature change, is required to overcome that stiction. That force causes a significant sudden movement that can be heard and sometimes felt in the rv. Torco RFF 15 has antistiction properties (increased lubricity) that reduce stiction, reducing the force required to produce movement. This results in more frequent subtle movements that produce less noise and shaking. Torco RFF 15 should be available through your local motorsports dealer for less than $20/liter bottle.
Do you add this to your hydraulic tank?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #25

I really like our Lippert 6-point system. One of the campers we were looking at had a four-point system on it, but the back two jacks really looked overwhelmed under the 40' camper. I know they have the lift capacity, but the single point of lift bugged me along that long span.
Ours has 3 jacks evenly distributed along each frame rail, so weight is better distributed than when it is on wheels. Plus, with the Lippert system, the 6 jacks are plumbed in 3 pairs of 2 (front pair, right middle and rear, left middle and rear). Each pair is supplied from a single valve through a tee, so each jack in the pair has equal pressure and equal loading. This also allows the fluid to flow between the jacks as the system adjusts for level, maintaining equal ground pressure in the pair. The net result is effectively 3 lifting points, so there cannot be any twisting of the frame.
It's a slick setup. I don't miss messing with leveling boards at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
cuttinchief, you remove one quart of your existing fluid and add the new one to the reservoir. It has stopped the popping in mine.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

I agree with those who have already stated that a Bigfoot system can easily raise the tires off the ground .... in fact, it can lift all 4 tires off the ground .... we added a Bigfoot system to our 5er about 3 years ago and the last time we replaced the tires I did just that .... I'd much rather use the Bigfoot system to change tires than to raise the camper with jacks

Jim
Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #28

In fairness of full disclosure, it looks like our Lippert 6pt has a bad pump. It's only been used 2 seasons and it was acting up last summer. It doesn't go to the shop for 3 more weeks, but it certainly acting like a bad pump. Let's hope the extended warranty comes through.

Tags
leveling