Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 AM   #1

We have an Arctic Fox 34-5B fiver.

We work as volunteers in church construction and sometimes stay in a church parking lot for weeks at a time. We seldom stay at a campground. Our fresh water comes from a hose with as many as six or eight campers hooked to the same hose.

Because we normally have low volume from the hose, we switch on the pump for showers, etc. That empties the fresh water tank often which means we refill the tank frequently.

Has anyone tried to devise a system that will automatically refill the fresh water tank without having to do it manually?

Thanks for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 AM   #2

We have an Arctic Fox 34-5B fiver.

We work as volunteers in church construction and sometimes stay in a church parking lot for weeks at a time. We seldom stay at a campground. Our fresh water comes from a hose with as many as six or eight campers hooked to the same hose.

Because we normally have low volume from the hose, we switch on the pump for showers, etc. That empties the fresh water tank often which means we refill the tank frequently.

Has anyone tried to devise a system that will automatically refill the fresh water tank without having to do it manually?

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:26 AM   #3

Walt, I installed a Reverse Osmosis Water Filter system in my 5ver 3 years ago. I also installed a Black Light system in the filter system. I recycle the water that flows through the filter system back into my fresh water tank. This refills my Fresh Water tank. As a matter of fact I have to check the tank level every couple of days as the use of the filtered water through the sink tap, for drinking, tea, & coffee, can fill the freshwater tank rather quickly (3 to 4 days) & I have had the tank overflow.
I think this is a good way as I always have good clean filtered water to drink & use in my tea or coffee or drink from the tap & I also reuse the water rather then just dump on the ground or into a sewer system. Running the water used through a black light also makes sure I am killing any bacteria in the water being reused from the holding tank.
This method was recommended to me by a RO distributor as he says that is how they plumb the system into boats. My filter suppier, who is very knowledgable about water systems, also recommended this method. My replacement filters for the system cost me about $90.00 per year.
Just a a suggestion you may want to look into for your current needs.

Reg Reich
Old 06-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #4

My Alfa 5er has a bypass so when you are hooked up to the city water you can just turn a handle by the water pump + fill the holding tank - VERY handy!
Frank
Old 06-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #5

Welcome Walt987, we are glad you found us. Let us know what your church volunteers are called.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #6

Sue & Larry,

Our group is called Campers on Mission. We have 26 chapters representing 36 states as a part of Southern Baptists, but many of our group are from other churches, plus we work on several "flavors" of churches. Our chapter, Alabama, has about 255 couples or singles. Last year 80 Alabama couples or singles spent 34,000+ hours volunteering on 29 projects.

We work all over. We spent Jan & Feb in Hawaii at Puu Kahea, a camp and conference center run by Hawaii Baptists. Then, it was a month in south Alabama working in the area where hurricane Ivan did his dirty work last fall. We go next to southern Indiana, then just outside St Louis.

I get home just in time to pack for Thailand for a month to help build or rebuild houses in the wake of the latest tsunami.

My wife and I normally spend about 8-9 months a year somewhere in the USA on church constuction projects. This year is unusual with the overseas trips.

Come work with us! There is more than enough work for everyone. This is a great way to spend your retirement. You'll see the country like a lot of campers do, but you will also leave a mark wherever you go.

Thanks for asking.

- Walt & Breezy
barclay124@earthlink.net
Old 06-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #7

Hi Walt, I got your e-mail. Will answer you more in detail ASAP.
Your volunteer work sure sounds interesting & productive.

Reg