Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc1157
any thoughts(pros or cons) on auto slide hitches?
I have a Hijacker, slider. I'm very pleased with it. Less cost than a PullRite. Hijacker is now manufactured by Demco.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #16

I have a 06 duramax short bed with a automatic slider there is nothing greater

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
This hitch that failed was spring of 11'. Since then my brother has not fixed his 5er yet. So he did no camping last year. But still had to make payments....

He went back and forth with Pull-Rite, but they stood by the fact he should have ordered their over-priced grease and their grease only...

Talked to him (brother) last weekend and he has no choice but to buy another Pull-Rite. He wants a automatic slider for his short bed Ram 3500. Is there any other automatic slider on the market?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif
This hitch that failed was spring of 11'. Since then my brother has not fixed his 5er yet. So he did no camping last year. But still had to make payments....

He went back and forth with Pull-Rite, but they stood by the fact he should have ordered their over-priced grease and their grease only...

Talked to him (brother) last weekend and he has no choice but to buy another Pull-Rite. He wants a automatic slider for his short bed Ram 3500. Is there any other automatic slider on the market?
Yes, check out the Demco web site for an auto slider called the HIJACKER. Very good hitch.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #19

what is the proper grease, lubricant for the pull rite
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp View Post
what is the proper grease, lubricant for the pull rite
It depends. I bought mine used and by then they had changed from xxx grease/lube to White Lithium. I have to spray it on in the AM of each day of use. I've heard some require WD40. And, some if not all of of the newest versions have high-tech plastic glides that may not need lube at all.

You can find all the info you need for whatever type of slider you have at the pullrite.com website; maybe more info than you'll ever need.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #21

Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpushernkt View Post
I have the 16k mounted on the b and w turn over ball adapter kit. I have been very happy with this hitch. It was well worth the money. As far as getting it out, I went to harbor freight and bought an 800 pound electric lift and mounted it to the cieling of the garage. Total cost was around 100 dollars with coupons. I hoist the hitch into the air, and back the truck under. the hitch lowers right into the gooseneck and drops onto the super rail in the back. I can get the hitch in and out by myself in about 5 minutes. If anyone really wants to see I can take some pictures or make a video. Also, don't believe what youj hear about it being hard to hitch and unhitch. You just have tobe within 16 degrees of center. I highly reccomend this hitch over a manual slider. You don't want to find out that your manual slider is a pain when you have the campground road shut down and everyone is watching.
The electric lift was an awesome idea !!!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #22

Sobering thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1 View Post
Yes, check out the Demco web site for an auto slider called the HIJACKER. Very good hitch.

Wow on the "PR" failure!!!!! I have not purchased my hitch yet, so I am going to check out the Demco. Did you find the purchase price about the same for the Hijacker as opposed to the PR?
What grease are you using on the the Hijacker. My Dodge Ram 2500 is a short bed so I definitely need a slider for my 32' Rig.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Hijacker was about $200 less than Pullrite. I bought the 18k auto slide, the underbox mounting kit so I would have a flat bed with the hitch out, and a capture plate since I have a MorRyde pinbox. I don't use any lube, the unit turns and slides on two teflon discs. The configuration is different from Pullrite. Demco recently purchased Hijacker from Victoria Industries, British Columbia. I bought my unit thru Tweetys, their web site has all the information. With this hitch I have made turns greater than 90 degrees with no problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #24

Of All "auto" slide I've seen, they are so heavy, they may bump your load weight, with hitch, to the next level, if you are using 1T. Unless you have a block & tackle set up at home/shop, you will pay $ to R&R each time. They are said to be marvelous, though, for the "short" box (6'6"), which are now standard on 3/4 GM trucks, and even available on their 1T's.
PapaBear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx I will forward the link to my brother Hijacker Auto-slide hitch
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello, has anyone some idea of costs of the Hijacker hitch? THe Demco site doesn't list prices. Has anyone checked out the Sidewinder pinbox by Reese? Apparently, with that item a slider is obsolete and it is intended for the short bed trucks. But I don't know if it has any air bags or springs to absorb shock or vertical movement.I'd like to find a hitch which will reduce the chucking and vertical flexing and smooth out that ride.The last hitch I used was likely a base model and was terrible when driving on secondary roads. Sometimes roads are not banked properly and unless the hitch has some flex it always seems like something had to give. It all gets very confusing with so many options available and no one hitch covering everything.
THanks.
Mark
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #27

I have the 4100 in my silverado, after reading above I called pullrite, they told me if you have the plastic slide you should use a 3-1 oil or WD-40 every day under use. If you have metal slide they you should use a graphite spray, apparently you have to spray and let it sit before using. to me it was worth the call
misterp
Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #28

I had a Pull Rite 18k in my other truck until I decided I had gotten a under size motor.
For lube I use to strip it down in the spring and check it before I pulled with it each time after I checked the trailer tires. I put a white lithium grease on it and had made a plastic insert that covered the slides (when not in use), it also kept the head from rotating/ slamming and scaring the ...um... out of me.