Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #29

I have decided to go with the Superglide 16 K. The rails will be under my box so there will not be rails in the bed when I am not towing. Installed out the door with all the wiring labor and tax $2760

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #30

You'll be very happy with the Superglide.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
The electric lift was an awesome idea !!!!!!
The SuperRails fit pretty snug. Until it wears in it might be a little tough to remove. When I first got my hitch installed I had to remove it to get the bed coated with Line-X. I used a 7-ton bridge crane at work to pull it out. It was so tight the crane started lifting the back of my truck.

I'd recommend using a pry bar to dislodge it from the rails before lifting. I'd also recommend using a four-part sling harness to lift the hitch from each corner evenly. You wouldn't want to pull the trusses down from the garage ceiling.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #32

Wow you would not think a 250 lbs. hitch would cause all that interference. But it does makes since. Do you think if I did not have a lift method that two grown men could handle it all the time as far as removal goes?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #33

I would say yes, if... you can handle 1/2 the weight in a bad lifting location/position.
I use to take mine out of the truck myself, with difficulty, and place it in my outer trailer . I would suggest eye bolts in the holes that are not in use by the mount points to give something decent to hold on to. I forget if i had 3/8 or 1/2". If you want to keep from scratching the bed a section of plywood to slide it on. Then a cart or close proximity to where it will be stored. Do yourself a favor and place it on a bench or shelf about the same height that you carry it.
It is mainly heavy and awkward.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #34

Sound like a very good idea.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #35

Winches ? How about the 5er ? Man I bought my truck from told me he just left the motorized receiver on the king pin. Used the elec landing gear. No problem in or out. Locked with a bbq cover for weather protection. Have never tried it but sounds reasonable.
While my receiver will move on rails with elect motor, I have never found a need for it. (06 GMC quad short bed)
Ray
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #36

Coastal Campers
I have a big old 16k.. round tube SuperGlide.. been in use over 10 years.. I use the 5er to pull it.. I disconnect the hitch from it's mounts and raise the 5er up 3 or so inches to clear the pins, drive out from under it and then lower the hitch down onto saw horses to take the load off of the pinbox..

250 lb is not too much weight for the pinbox to lift, just think of how much weight is on the pinbox when going over RR tracks, a speed bump or road construction.

Love the SuperGlide.. I can make any U-turn that the truck can swing and watch the corner of the 5er slide back and clear the cab.. just remember.. one "awe fudge!" movement will pay for several SuperGlides..

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #37

Would have never thought of it in a million years to leave it connected to the King Pin for removal. Sounds tempting.