Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #15

Look around and you will find many tank options. Like others have said got the hitch in place and see how much room you have. Then figure our how many extra gallons you want. When we had our 5th wheel I had an 84 gallon l shaped tank and loved it. Used pump to transfer fuel while on the road.

Good luck with what ever way you go.

Trapperbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #16

I have a 62 gallon Titan in stalled so I still have full use of the bed. Works great. We travel up to 500 miles per day and fill up once

Old 08-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

Have a short bed put a 48 gal transfer flo in front of bed works great ?auto fill at half shuts off at three quarters. No problems had over 2 yrs.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #18

I never needed one. I only have about a two hour bladder. So if I'm stopping anyway I might just as well make the stop be a gas station.😁😁

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #19

I have the RDS 51 gallon combo in my 6.5' Chevy bed. I've used both Pullrite 2900 and TrailerSaver BD3 (on Simple Slider) hitches behind it. Plenty of room. As a side note, I'm about to pull out the Simple Slider because I've never actually had to use it.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #20

I have an RDS tank in my 2013 Ram Cummins. It's 63 gallons and transfers to the main tank at the filler. It has an auto shut up to prevent overflow. Real simple plug and play.

Andrew
Old 08-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #21

Talking RDS 37 gallon tank

I have a 2013 GMC 3500 Diesel short bed and put the 37 gallon gravity tank in and I also have a Curt Q20 manual slider in the bed. The tank is flat and I have room on the top of it to put my rug. We went to Alaska from FL in 2014 via Az. The problem with any tank is the cost to fill them. The thing we would do on our trip was set up camp then go sight seeing and while disconnected from the 5th wheel get fuel. A whole lot easier than trying to find a station that the 5th wheel can navigate safely......
Old 08-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #22

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I never needed one. I only have about a two hour bladder. So if I'm stopping anyway I might just as well make the stop be a gas station.😁😁
With my small OEM tank, We are at the mercy of the fuel stops along the way. Fuel prices on our last trip varied greatly, from $1.97 in Mesa Arizona, to well over $2.40 through New Mexico. Part of my reasoning for the big tank (besides all the fuel stops) is that I can "shop" to get better fuel prices and not have to pay the big prices along the way.
Dave
Old 08-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Plus, you carry your own bathroom along with you so you can stop anywhere for that. No need to have to fuel up every time you drain your bladder. You can simply pull off the side of the road for that.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
The replacement tank maybe the way for you to go. I've looking into that for my truck and, when funds are available, will be getting a 60 gal tank to replace my 34 gal factory tank. Then I want a 100 gal in bed tank. Yea yea in know overkill. But so are my future truck plans.
I've been considering this wondering about the cost/benefit ratio.

For example: I could see the cost/benefit being good for going from 34 to 60 almost doubling the size of the tank. Then I could also see the cost/benefit of of adding the 100Gal tank more than doubling the fuel capacity (almost tripling). But if I started by adding the 100Gal tank giving me 134Gal, would it be cost effective to then replace the 34Gal tank with the 60Gal?
Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I never needed one. I only have about a two hour bladder. So if I'm stopping anyway I might just as well make the stop be a gas station.����
I think the major benefit of extra fuel is cost savings from filling up in cheaper areas and getting as little as necessary in more expensive areas. (Or during peak cost periods.) I can't see anyone going a thousand miles without several piddle breaks, which I'd prefer to do at a rest stop or even side of the road than at a gas station. If you're a long hauler you can cover many more miles in one day with only a single fill stop or if you're the slow migration type RVer you can go a month or more without a stop. I'd rather do one longish stop than 5+ short ones. There's also the benefit of being able to syphon a bunch of fuel off your CG neighbors while they're out hiking or kayaking. (Just seeing if anyone was still reading. )
Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #26

My reason for installing a transfer tank is both cost savings and convenience. When I'm towing, the stations with the cheapest fuel are typically difficult to access with trailer attached. 130 gallons will easily take me any where I need or want to go. Dropping the trailer and then searching out the cheapest source is much much easier. And some places, like the Big Sur, diesel can be tough to find.

And Squantobon, do you prefer the mint flavored diesel or the strawberry?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
And Squantobon, do you prefer the mint flavored diesel or the strawberry?
I'm all natural.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #28

You may want to check w/Aero Tanks. I replaced my 28 gallon tank w/a 55 gallon tank. They may have a direct replacement for your year. Good luck.

jimws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank