Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If you mean for your Dodge dually regular cab, no, I don't see one either. I suspect your best bet is an in-bed auxiliary tank. Almost any brand of aluminum diesel tank will do, then add the "install kit" in this link:
Dodge fuel tank from Northern Tool + Equipment

Here's an 80-gallon tank that will do the trick. Only 19" high, so no problem with your hitch or trailer overhang. Ignore the transfer hose which yours won't have. It will gravety feed from the bed to the stock fuel tank using that "install kit" above.
RDS Rectangular Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank 80 Gallon, All Diamond, Model# 71793 | Auxiliary, Transfer, + Skid Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment
Very very good !!!!!! This install would be $500 cheaper than putting the aftermarket under the truck. I will have to do some thinking and figure which way is the best to go.

I wonder of the telescoping or roll cover for the bed would work if this type of fuel tank were installed? It looks like it is even with the top of the bed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
I wonder of the telescoping or roll cover for the bed would work if this type of fuel tank were installed? It looks like it is even with the top of the bed?
That's why they make tape measures.

Place a length of 2x4 construction lumber across the bed, resting on edge on the top of the bedrails about a foot from the front of the bed. Measure from the highest part of the floor under that 2x4 up to the bottom edge of the 2x4. If it's more than 19", then that 19" tall tank would fit under a rollup.

Note they also have similar tanks but 50 gallons or so with a shallow toolbox on top, and the overall height is still 19". Only a little more money for the toolbox tank compared to the just-a-tank.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #17

Thanks for the tips. I will do the 2X4 measuring and see if I still get the 19" for clearance. I should have rephrased my question to include if anyone has a 19" tank and is using the roll top or telescoping top. :O)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Here's an 80-gallon tank that will do the trick. Only 19" high, so no problem with your hitch or trailer overhang. Ignore the transfer hose which yours won't have. It will gravety feed from the bed to the stock fuel tank using that "install kit" above.
RDS Rectangular Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank 80 Gallon, All Diamond, Model# 71793 | Auxiliary, Transfer, + Skid Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment
X2 on the RDS, I put a 50gal one in my Duramax with a short bed. It was a nice aluminium tank with a toolbox. I was pulling a TT so height was no issue.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I was pulling a TT so height was no issue.
Height was an issue with my toolbox in my '99.5 F-250 when dragging my 5er. If the toolbox stuck up more than an inch or so over the bedrails, then doing a jacknife on rough ground could cause the bottom of the 5er's overhang to contact the top of the toolbox. So I had a Weathergard tool chest that was close to flush with the top of the bedrails.
Model 664-5-01 All-Purpose Chest - Aluminum - Black
Dimensions: H: 19 1/4 W: 20 L: 62

Note that one is 62" wide. The front corners of the floor in an F-250 are curved, so with both ends of that toolbox sitting on the curve, the center of the toolbox was an inch or so off the floor. For a 19" tall tank or toolbox to rest on the floor of the bed - and thus not stick up above the top of the bedrails - it needs to be shorter - maybe the typical 55" long instead of 62". But again, that's why they make tape measures.

Measure the width of the bed at the front floor corners to be sure the tank will sit flat on the floor. Maybe double check by cutting a piece of 2x4 lumber exactly the max length you measured, then be certain that 2x4 on edge will touch the floor in the center of the bed as well as on each end. Then measure that 2x4 again and you'll know the max length of tank you can have that will sit flat on the floor and be 19" high off the floor.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #20

KZ RV Club
Thanks for the information Smokeywren. Ordered the 80 gallon tank with install kit on tuesday.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone camping View Post
Ordered the 80 gallon tank with install kit on tuesday.
Realize that the install tank will have some weight to it, and 80 gallons of diesel weighs about 575 pounds. That shouldn't be a big deal with your dually, but lots of folks cannot haul that much extra fuel along with the hitch weight of a big 5er without busting the weight limits of their tow vehicle.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will do the 2X4 measuring and see if I still get the 19" for clearance. I should have rephrased my question to include if anyone has a 19" tank and is using the roll top or telescoping top. :O)
I have the RDS 91 gallon fuel tank/tool box combo and I use the TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover. It works well, looks good and fits inside the bed rails so I have use of the side rail tie downs, and it's narrow enough so I am able to open the tool box cover. Some of the roll ups had sides that interfered with the box opening.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #23

Good idea. Never thought of the soft tonneau.

I am thinking more and more of going with the OEM tank under the truck because I really want a hard roll or telescoping cover.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am thinking more and more of going with the OEM tank under the truck because I really want a hard roll or telescoping cover.
If a 19" tall tank in the bed is too tall, they make shorter ones. How about this one = only 9" tall? 20" wide, so if you have 20" between the back of the hitch and the front of the bed, then that one should work.
RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank 37-Gallon Capacity, Model# 71804 | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

Or how about this one. More expensive because it includes the system that ties into your gauges to make them read accurately with both tanks.
37 Gallon Tank 50" Length, 19 1/2" Wide, 17 7/8" High
in-bed tank dimensions
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #25

Quote:
If a 19" tall tank in the bed is too tall, they make shorter ones. How about this one = only 9" tall? 20" wide, so if you have 20" between the back of the hitch and the front of the bed, then that one should work.
RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank 37-Gallon Capacity, Model# 71804 | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

Or how about this one. More expensive because it includes the system that ties into your gauges to make them read accurately with both tanks.
37 Gallon Tank 50" Length, 19 1/2" Wide, 17 7/8" High
in-bed tank dimensions

Cool...worth a look for sure...Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #26

As noted back in #8, I have the 60-gal tank/toolbox from RDS in my 450 and use a Retrax canister cover. Fit is tight over the tank, but the cover will go back all the way. Downside is there is a 7" high x about 10" deep dead space bed-wide under the canister.
Really nice to be able to cover the hitch and everything in the bed when not towing.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #27

I have this tank...

Delta Aluminum Transfer Tank, 72 gal. - 2266563 | Tractor Supply Company

I have a F-350 Long Bed too; I don't believe this tank would fit in a short bed with a hitch installed. The tank sits flush with the side rails of the bed, so no issues when towing and turning.

The only point of concern is the pump because it sits above the bed when mounted on the tank. It is close to the back window on the truck, so normally don't have any issues but keep an eye on it on very sharp turns.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Good idea. Never thought of the soft tonneau.

Here is one for the roll tops. I have the Roll-N-Lock and i and thinking of getting one, The bottom part of the tank slides under the roll up and the high front is in front of it but you still have room for your hitch this looks like a Roll-N-Lock in the pic. Click on the pic then it will zoom.
45 gallon auxiliary tank for roll top bed cover by ATTA, Inc.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank