Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
WHY??? Spend $1,000.00 for an extra tank. Always in the way etc etc. Been all over USA, Canada and Alaska. Never been more than 150 miles between fuel stations. My range is 350 miles towing. OK, if you own Diesel heavy equipment that needs refueled daily in the field , there is a valid reason to have an auxiliary fuel tank.
I guess the most practical reason "why" would be the opportunity to be able to save money when you can locate Diesel fuel at a reasonable price. Granted the $1000 investment would have to be reimbursed by the savings of diesel price, but 4 to 6 fill ups would more than take care of the investment, I have seen Diesel $4.50 per gallon to $3.99 per gallon depending on the location within the country. It is the fill-ups that have the fuel at the cheaper price that will kick the savings into gear eventually. It would probably take two or three separate road trips before you could compensate for the initial cost of the retrofit.

Another reason would be convenience of not having to stop at the 300 - 350 mile point. For me that sounds attractive to drive 700 to 800 miles and when you are tired not have to worry about finding a fuel station at your way point.

It is all a matter of preference and desire. Not everyone shares the same thoughts on the matter. That is to be expected and appreciated for all parties concerned.
__________________

__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
I guess the most practical reason "why" would be the opportunity to be able to save money when you can locate Diesel fuel at a reasonable price. Granted the $1000 investment would have to be reimbursed by the savings of diesel price, but 4 to 6 fill ups would more than take care of the investment, I have seen Diesel $4.50 per gallon to $3.99 per gallon depending on the location within the country. It is the fill-ups that have the fuel at the cheaper price that will kick the savings into gear eventually. It would probably take two or three separate road trips before you could compensate for the initial cost of the retrofit.

Another reason would be convenience of not having to stop at the 300 - 350 mile point. For me that sounds attractive to drive 700 to 800 miles and when you are tired not have to worry about finding a fuel station at your way point.

It is all a matter of preference and desire. Not everyone shares the same thoughts on the matter. That is to be expected and appreciated for all parties concerned.
Exactly the reasons I want to carry more fuel. An extra 100 miles, an extra day at camp without traveling to find fuel and taking advantage of lower fuel prices when you can. Even without the trailer it would be nice to pick up fuel at lower prices when possible.
__________________

__________________
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 203
For anyone that's 'handy', I have a 98gal, in-the-bed mounted fuel tank that I'm not using and am willing to sell.
It's a Transferflow brand tank and was installed in my '96 Ford PowerStroke. Original cost (labor & material) was almost $1000. Obviously, I don't want anywhere near that amount as you'd have to run your own fuel line and install any valves and/or switches that you'd need.
$250 will take it home. I'm located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Will be traveling to NC in late Sept and Colorado early Sept if you are in that direction. Delivery possible if you on my Route.

You can PM my for my email address.
GWinger
__________________
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
For anyone that's 'handy', I have a 98gal, in-the-bed mounted fuel tank that I'm not using and am willing to sell.
It's a Transferflow brand tank and was installed in my '96 Ford PowerStroke. Original cost (labor & material) was almost $1000. Obviously, I don't want anywhere near that amount as you'd have to run your own fuel line and install any valves and/or switches that you'd need.
$250 will take it home. I'm located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Will be traveling to NC in late Sept and Colorado early Sept if you are in that direction. Delivery possible if you on my Route.

You can PM my for my email address.
GWinger
Too bad I will not be in your neck of the woods. If you still have it and ever end up Near Seattle WA in your travels over the next 9 months...give me a holler. It is well worth a look at that price.
__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
Too bad I will not be in your neck of the woods. If you still have it and ever end up Near Seattle WA in your travels over the next 9 months...give me a holler. It is well worth a look at that price.
Sorry, I have no plans for travel in Washington state. I quite often double-tow, something Wash & Oregon don't allow. I more often travel in the SE'stern states.

BTW,... If you moved from Southern Cal, maybe it's time to upgrade you profile?
GWinger




__________________
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
We are just vacationing here. So CA is home.
__________________

__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, tank



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Redwood Owners w/ SRW Diesel redalertsc 5th Wheel Discussion 18 03-25-2012 09:31 PM
Diesel prices deSanford Monaco Owner's Forum 80 03-20-2012 10:45 PM
Advice on 1st Diesel Pusher purchase darcan Class A Motorhome Discussions 62 03-18-2012 09:59 AM
Fleetwood tank interconnect? Art Coon Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 11 03-12-2012 09:30 AM
gas/diesel argument BlueGekko iRV2.com General Discussion 22 03-12-2012 08:08 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.