Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Auxillary Diesel Tank ???

When most people go for an auxiliary fuel source it is under the truck with an aftermarket fuel tank. Is that correct only?
My question is do they make one for the bed that does not interfere with a slider hitch or pulling the 5th wheel, that would have a electric pump on it and delivery hose so you could use it like a fill up without siphoning from it? Sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject, but I am new to this concept?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
When most people go for an auxiliary fuel source it is under the truck with an aftermarket fuel tank. Is that correct only?
My question is do they make one for the bed that does not interfere with a slider hitch or pulling the 5th wheel, that would have a electric pump on it and delivery hose so you could use it like a fill up without siphoning from it? Sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject, but I am new to this concept?
There are a whole host of possibilities for auxiliary tank. Anything from a larger tank that replaces your factory tank to totally automatic systems. One place to start: Transfer Flow cross-the-bed tanks

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #3

I had one built that fit in box behind cab. It is the width of the box about 6 in thick and the height of box. It holds about 32 gal and flows into main tank(no pump needed. I have used it four 5 or 6 year and works great.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Transfer tanks that mount in the bed is what I believe you are asking about and it ultimately depends on your setup, so you may need to measure the space between the slider and the front of the bed so you will know the clearance. There are various shapes and makes for you to choose from. Although there are many that sell them, Tractor Supply is one place that comes to mind.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Transfer tanks are just that, they are made to transfer fuel to a off road piece of equipment. DOT does not see this as a fuel tank to plumb into the system. We got around this and saved a lot of money by finding a fuel tank from a large truck and having it cut down to fit. We wound up with a aluminum tank that held 98gal when modified. Gravity fed it into the vent line of the factory tank with a 12v solenoid that has a switch on the dash with a light. We wired it through the ign. to make sure when the truck was parked it couldn't overfill the factory tank. We also installed a cutoff manual valve in the bottom and then a fuel filter, fuel can be cut off to replace filter. Total investment was $250.00 and rendered 98 extra gallons and tank was DOT approved as a fuel tank.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A friend put one of those in the bed of his F250, in front of his fifth wheel hitch.
whenever he went to the states on vacation, his goal was to return to the land of plenty with more fuel than he had when he left.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had an 07 Chevy D/A dually and replaced the OEM tank...didn't want to lose bed space by putting a tank there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

There are plenty of choices for aux fuel tanks--Transferflow, Titan, RDS aluminum, ATTA and others. In bed and under frame replacements, your choice.
I use a 60gal tank/toolbox in the bed of my 450 and it fits under my Retrax cover. It gravity feeds to the main tank without problems, and clears my Companion hitch easily.
Having the extra tank helps in filling up when camped without the fiver, and also finding lower prices along the tow route. And, if I did not have it, would be looking for fuel at the 250 mile range when towing.
Total cost for my tank was around $700, I have had it in 2 duallys and it has more than paid for itself.
Stay away from uncoated-inside steel tanks, or go for aluminum. And you should probably have an inline filter on it.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Commercial Member

I have one I purchased used from a friend and installed inside my bed. I purchased a valve assy. from Northern Equipment that allowes the fuel to transfer to the main tank. It has a ball check valve that shuts off the flow of diesel when the filler neck on the truck fills up. I have it on my F350 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed. Like the people above mention that this gives you the option to fill up after you drop your camper off at the camp ground. Northern Equipment also sells the tanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi, we bought a new 2011 chev diesel, 4 dr, long box, dually and purchased a Titan fuel tank (came from the states). It holds 63 gallons of fuel. It fits right underneath the truck where the old one was. Well worth the $1000 we spent. I pulled our 5er (36ft) from western Mb to Vancouver island and filled up the tank 4 times on the trip out west. We thought about getting a slip tank but decided to go with a double sized one because of the hassle to get one built to gravity feed. Also we were running out of time. The fuel tank was slow in getting into Canada (4 weeks) and was only installed 3 days before we left to head out west. Hope this helps, Cheerio, Jeannine & Joe
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #11

Since you say you have a slider hitch, you probably have a short bed truck. That limits you on the size of a bed tank--you should probably consider the under-bed tanks by either Transferflow or Titan.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #12

Yes, I think under the truck is the best.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #13

KZ RV Club
Fuel Tank

I cant seem to find a company that has a larger replacement tank for a regular / standard cab pickup.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone camping View Post
I cant seem to find a company that has a larger replacement tank for a regular / standard cab pickup.
If you mean for your Dodge dually regular cab, no, I don't see one either. I suspect your best bet is an in-bed auxiliary tank. Almost any brand of aluminum diesel tank will do, then add the "install kit" in this link:
Dodge fuel tank from Northern Tool + Equipment

Here's an 80-gallon tank that will do the trick. Only 19" high, so no problem with your hitch or trailer overhang. Ignore the transfer hose which yours won't have. It will gravety feed from the bed to the stock fuel tank using that "install kit" above.
RDS Rectangular Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank 80 Gallon, All Diamond, Model# 71793 | Auxiliary, Transfer, + Skid Tanks | Northern Tool + Equipment

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank