Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Then there is less weight on the axles. Everything has a rating for manufacture including our homes. Nothing is over design as I have experienced.
Over design only causes other things or parts to be overloaded.
My old 1994 Alpenlite 27ft single slide has 2 7,000 Lb axles with a 12,000 gvw. Been towed 78,000 miles with no axle wheel or tire failure. I bought it because it was over built and at 20 yrs old I am still proud of it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Don't understand what this comment means. If you put 10k axles on this 5th wheel that would cause what problem? As an example are you saying that it is better to put on the minimum weight capacity tire versus a d,e,f,g,h rated tire because those optional tires have extra capacity and that would lead to problems? I can understand why we wouldn't want to add extra weight when it affects the load being carried but to increase the capacity to carry the load would seem to be advisable. Maybe someone will chime in on why this is an error in thinking.
ya scratching my head too.
my over designed TV hurts nothing in the trailer that I have found

hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #17

I saw one at Santee Lakes, fits in one site fine.
kids in the back having fun parent on the side having fun.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #18

I saw it in one of the mags...we had a good laugh over it...maybe if you park in the same rv park forever....
Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #19

This has definitely sparked an interest in toy haulers for me. I'd like to keep my SUV TV though. Do they make TT toy hauler with a ramp that can become a patio?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Don't understand what this comment means. If you put 10k axles on this 5th wheel that would cause what problem? As an example are you saying that it is better to put on the minimum weight capacity tire versus a d,e,f,g,h rated tire because those optional tires have extra capacity and that would lead to problems? I can understand why we wouldn't want to add extra weight when it affects the load being carried but to increase the capacity to carry the load would seem to be advisable. Maybe someone will chime in on why this is an error in thinking.
Answer is pretty simple, using axles with a higher rating means the springs also have a higher rating and they will be too stiff for a lighter load. The fiver will ride too harsh and experience greater shock loads which will negatively impact reliability of the coach and appliances. Now if the axles had air adjustable springs, then it would be a different matter.

Same thing happens if you change tires to a higher load rating and run them at that higher psi rating. But now even the wheel bearings, leaf springs and spring hangers experience more shock and stress. Probably not a big deal going up one level, say 65 psi to 80 psi, but going from 65 psi to 110 psi, not such a good idea, IMHO.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #21

Was at the Fort Worth RV show today--saw several with the fold-out patios. Watching them move with people on them was interesting, to say the least, lots of give and movement. I am thinking about my boisterous nieces who move around like jumping beans--they could give it a real test.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
IMHO there's a couple of things going on -

First off, manufacturers will always try to trim costs no matter what, and they can get away with it since there's so little actual regulation concerning RVs of any kind. If gross weight is 20k and there's 18k worth of axles, they're good to go. Same with the tires. Don't expect anything to last very long (especially those cheap tires) ESPECIALLY if you overload anything.

Second, this thing is a toy hauler and should have a serious cargo carrying capacity. No telling if the frame is sturdy enough to have an ATV & associated other stuff in it, but the other point is that to get any kind of cargo carrying capacity, manufacturers have to cut weight elsewhere. That's why all the 'ultralight' TTs and 5ers have miniscule holding & fresh water tanks. Don't know as I ever want to find out what's in the walls & floor.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #23

New HORIZENS

Saw one in Trl Life. iI guess if money is no object! Base price $178,000 price as tested over $250,000. Get real . You can get a good quality trl for a heck of a lot less then that. The average Joe does not have that kind of money.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Saw one in Trl Life. iI guess if money is no object! Base price $178,000 price as tested over $250,000. Get real . You can get a good quality trl for a heck of a lot less then that. The average Joe does not have that kind of money.
Depends , People looking at diesel pusher motorhomes could buy two.
scrape the money together ,cry a bit ,but it will save a river of tears over the life of owning a POS.

hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel