Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Awning drop shade screen

I'm considering getting one of these for my 5th wheel. I have spent several trips with the afternoon sun blazing under the awning, and making it uncomfortable to sit outside. Most of our trips are 2-4 days, so is this just one more thing to spend money on, and another thing to find a place to store? I wonder how hard it is to install (pull the awning roller down within reach, thread the shade into the slot, etc.) What about high winds? Is it better to remove it and roll the awning up, or is it best to have the shade anchored to the ground?

Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

yep

We bought one for the full length of the awning. Works great and adds a little more privacy when outside. Ours came off EBAY, cheap and is 8 ft. tall so you don`t have to mess with straps, just tent stake it to the ground

Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

Good info, thanks! I am looking at one for $70 on ebay. 15 x 7.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bought one from CW for our Dutch Star MH. Never used it and traded the rig in last year and it won't fit this one. It's in a stack to be sold in a garage sale this summer. Nope, not going to try and sell it on any forum due to size/shipping weight.
Our favorite site at our favorite campground faces the west next to a lake so the full sun hits when low, thought more shade would be beneficial.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We have a Prompt RV Awning Screen ( http://www.rv-sunscreen.com/htawnings.php )

We bought one in tan fabric to match our rig.

We use it occasionally. It works well. We use bungee cords along the bottom grommets staked to the ground. In high winds or if we are away, I remove the bungee and roll it up with the electric awning. I do not travel with it rolled up.

It is not difficult to put up or take down. It's a 2 person job to put up, but can be removed by one.

Folds up and stores easily. I do not regret purchasing it and will use again, just not every trip.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #6

I appreciate the feedback from you guys. I'm sure I wouldn't use one often, but I'm sitting outside every minute I can be. The description for the one I'm considering said it was for manual awnings, and when I asked for clarification the seller said it would work with electric awnings. The difference being that with the electric shade, there is a short piece with a zipper that can stay in the roller groove while the screen itself is zipped off for storage. I'm guessing the difference is that the manual roller is closer to the ground, and so it's easier to slide the shade into the slot. I don't think I'd like it rolled up with the awning always.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We use bungee cords for light winds. If it gets too windy we take it off and roll up the awning. Easy to set up and take down. Takes very little space to store. We also have one for the " end cap". Love ours!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
....The difference being that with the electric shade, there is a short piece with a zipper that can stay in the roller groove while the screen itself is zipped off for storage. I'm guessing the difference is that the manual roller is closer to the ground, and so it's easier to slide the shade into the slot. I don't think I'd like it rolled up with the awning always.
I have a Dometic electric awning. It is not difficult to access the roller tube from the ground. If I had a Carefree, I'd get the zip on model, because the tube is not as easy to reach from the ground.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Your best awning drop will come from Sunpro MFG. in a variety of colors to match your RV.

They offer a zip-off model which is really simple to install plus the small portion that remains on the roller can be rolled up with the main patio awning.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
awning, scr