Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Awning failure

I pulled my 5th wheel out yesterday from where I was camping and drove home. It's no more then an hour drive. I arrived home and was parking the 5er. I couldn't believe my eyes. The awning which had been fine when I left apparently unrolled during the 1 hour drive, unfurled and had gotten caught by the wind in transit. It's totally shredded and completely destroyed. I only climbed up top to look at it. It is still connected to the spring mechanism and to the trailer and the mechanism looks fine and all arms are intact but the fabric is all ripped and needs total replacement. I do not know if the mechanism is still working or not. I assume there is a ratchet system employed and a long spiral spring inside but have never actually worked on one. What is customarily done in a problem like this? Is the unrolling mechanism replaced and a new fabric awning installed? Or is a new fabric awning just replaced and the mechanism repaired if possible?

I have been pulling a 5er for 2 decades and never had this happen before. What could have gone wrong? I'm guessing a faulty ratchet in the mechanism causing it to unwind but I do not know for sure.
Paul R. Haller

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the roller tube and arms are not damaged. all that needs to replaced is the canopy. You will need to check the torsion springs to be sre they are not damaged.

This can be done by you if you know how to handle the torsion springs when you rewind them, but you need to be very careful. The torsion springs have a lot of energy and can really hurt a person.

Ken

Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
When you replace the fabric, you will probably have to replace the pawl that controls the awning. Found on my old one that the gear track was worn just about smooth. New one has a different design.

Bill
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

If you are interested in repairing it yourself, you'll find instructions here: http://www.aero-rv.com/ownManual.php
Select your awning brand, then click to download the pdf document.

The usual cause if this is, somehow the racheting lever got moved to the extend position after the awning was retracted. This allows the awning material to unwind from the roller tube even though the arms are secured in the travel position.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #5

Awning

You might be interested in my safety solution to preventing the accidental unrolling of your awning while in transit. See attached pictures. I use the awning rod as a brake by inserting the end of the rod in the hole located on the awning roller end opposite of the up/down lever end. The roller can not rotate with the rod inserted. I use Velcro and bungee to secure the rod to the awning arm. Since I made these pictures I added another Velcro strap above the first one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning safty.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1063   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning safty 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	awning safty 3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1065  
Ray Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Long shot here, but call your insurance agent. Comprehensive might cover it minus your deductible, which on some policies is minimal or 0 for the comp section.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #7

Great Idea Ray!! It s been added to my 2-do list.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #8

If you decide to DIY, be advised_ it's easy to get a broken wrist when working with the spring if you vary from the instructions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thumbs up

I like your solution, Ray. I have a Carefree of Colorado and the plastic locking mechanism has been coming loose on both arms for years. I asked the RV technician about this last week when I had the TT in for service and he said most folks wrap the arms with a short bungee cord. However, I like your method a whole lot better. Thanks for posting it!
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #10

I am glad to post it...hope it saves a lot awning grief for folks.

Ray Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote