Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2008, 04:03 AM   #1

Our awning appears to roll up tight but when we open it each time it it soaked an typically has a bit of mold and odor to it. Anybody have experience with this. Can I adjust the stopping point or maybe cover. The awning is shorter than the roll it goes on. Is this normal? (It was replaced by previous owner) Maybe the water hits the rail and then goes in the side of the awning.

TT '00 21' Apache Mesa Hybrid
OBDecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 04:03 AM   #2

Our awning appears to roll up tight but when we open it each time it it soaked an typically has a bit of mold and odor to it. Anybody have experience with this. Can I adjust the stopping point or maybe cover. The awning is shorter than the roll it goes on. Is this normal? (It was replaced by previous owner) Maybe the water hits the rail and then goes in the side of the awning.

TT '00 21' Apache Mesa Hybrid
OBDecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #3

Last time I opened my awning it was also wet. However, everytime before it had been dry. So I don't know? I just always make sure to get it rolled up square and dry.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
ALL awnings will get wet to some degree when rolled up. If depends on the type weather shield, is the trailer/RV setting level and which way the rain comes from. If can blow down and end.

The driest awning we have had was a canvas on on a 95 Avion 5er. It had the metal weather shield.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #5

There are home remedy's like a plastc liter coke bottle cut to fit over each end.I live with it and wash it a couple times a year with a bleach spray solution.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #6

I have often wondered about wet awnings as my main awning gets wet even if rolled up perfectly dry. The kicker is that the TT is always stored inside its own garage. If it wasn't happening to me, I would not believe it. It's been going on since 1996 when we bought it. Some weird form of condensation I guess. I can unroll it in the Spring after 6 mos. of storage and it'll be wet.
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #7

Mine does that, too, if I travel when it is raining.

When I bought the trailer, the awning was covered in mould. I tried various cleaners, and with hours of scrubbing could make a little patch look better.

I was just going to replace the awning, but then I tried Full Timer's Choice awning cleaner.

It really melted the mould off like a Tarn-x commercial, and had it looking like new in just a few minutes...

Fortunately I don't travel much in the rain, but when I do, when it's warm and sunny again I put the awning out and let it dry.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote