Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Awning help

hello. I have a 1998 Carriage Carri-Lite 734RL. It has the original 20' awning and it is in good shape. at our last outing for the year last year we went to pull the awning out and the little catch on the end of the awning that you pull down to unroll the awning was missing. we got it down by using pliers to turn the peg. now that it is parked for the winter we want to get that peice replaced. I went to my local dealer and they had no idea what that peice was called or what it even looked like. they said to get the model number(BN3N4) and come back and they would look up the awning parts list. does anyone know what that peice is called or have the part number for it. it looks like a window crank where you take the awning hook and pull it down to unroll and push it up to roll the awning back up. thanks. for your help
lspencer001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Not sure what type of awning you have but the rivets will need to be drilled out and re-riveted after repairs.

A E Dometic RV Awning HD Torsion Assembly RH 3108398029 | eBay
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

He only needs the lever, not the whole end cap...call Carefree of Colorado or whoever makes your awning and ask for 'parts'. That part number is a Carefree number...here is a link to Carefree

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

oh sorry forgot to mention that it is a carefree awning. I've shot them an email and waiting to hear back but thought i'd ask on here first.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #5

Most manual awnings are replaced with the roll if the roll has a bend. I got one for nothing for spare parts and gave the roll to friend for a flag poll. In my hometown most RV repair shop has lots old rolls stacked behind. Put a wanted add on craiglist. Might have to get the complete end for that piece.
It might be called the awning lock lever.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may not need to drill anything. The part likely is a press on part

I would see if you can have a old time body man (Someone who has been in the business for oh say 50 years) carve you one out of metal, the original was base metal or pot metal or white metal (All basically the same product) but steel would be nice if carving or brass,

If brass have him undersize the hole a couple mills and making sure you know the position heat the thing with a torch and slip it on, as it cools it will grip,, and I mean GRIP!!!.

If steel use locktite red. and press fit or use a set screw (And Locktite) to hold it.

But you shoudl be able to put on a fabricated replacement without removing anything from the awning, no drilling (on RV) requried, only on the fabricator's drill press.

NOTE: if you have Tri-mark basement locks.. Pull the striker bolt out of one and have him carve you a couple of spares. OUT OF STEEL.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #7

ok thanks. I was thinking about making one like you said. it did have a lock screw that held it in place. wonder if one of those metal window cranks would work.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

ok got the reply back from carefree. that little piece is called a "L Lever". and they said that you can't buy just that one piece. you have to buy the whole end cap. so it looks like I will be trying to make one. wonder if one of those aluminum window cranks would work.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

Can you link a pic to the lever?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
If you could find a small block of aluminum, you could easily make your own lever. Drill a hole that would allow it to fit over the part the other was mounted to. Drill and tap another hole from the side and put a set screw into it. Put it in place, tighten set screw and you are back in business.

Not difficult and you could have a local machine shop do the drilling and tapping for you.. They would probably do it for cheap too...
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #11

I would go to a couple of local RV dealers and ask to check their junk pile for a replaced awning and get the piece. Most dealers will have a dozen old bent and broken awning in the junk. Take an allen wrench.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

ok thanks. I can probably find a piece of aluminum in the garage that would work and make it myself. the set screw would go on the outside end as that was where the original was. there is really only one dealer in my area, Tom Raper. as for a link of the lever the best pic I could find was a end cap from ebay and it is the "L lever" in the pic.

Carefree of Colorado RV Patio Awning Replacement Front Spring Spirit or Fiesta | eBay
Old 01-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

Check the RV Salvage yard in Missouri. Google to find their name. They have everything and it will be cheap
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #14

Google: awning latches for rv
It should come up with a few choices to check out. Good luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning