Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Awning on Slide

Hello Everyone
My wife and I purchased a 2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI last November. I asked the dealership if we could install an awning on the slide on the door side of the RV. He said that since the Fridge was on that side it wouldn't be a good idea...because of the heat. This makes sense to me, but, wanted a second, third, fourth...etc opinion. Or, perhaps someone has heard of some type of material that could be installed between the awning and the fridge.

Jim, Therese, Gilligan and Ginger (mini-Dachsunds)
2015 F250 Lariat
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
NavyDiver198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

youre talking about an awning that goes from the roof of your unit to to top of the slide to keep debris off? Is there a refer vent on the top of the slide (absorption fridge?). How does it vent heat when the slide is retracted?
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #4

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Awning for Slide

Hello Everyone
sorry for the confusion, not an Awning from the RV roof to the end of the slide to protect the top of the slide and seal (these are being installed), but, one actually on the slide. Slide is about 13' long, so thought i would get some extra shade by putting an awning on it.

Jim, Therese, Gilligan and Ginger
NavyDiver198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

There are very few rigs that have an awning on the slide. Not sure why. The few that I have seen seem to go straight out more than awnings attached to the 5th wheel. They are not as high so my guess is that is why they don't sloop more.

Also I wonder if the slide is built sturdy enough to support an awning.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #6

Ok, now I understand. I have seen quite a few slides with awnings attached to them. I don't think there would be a problem. Not sure on the heat produced by the fridge, but the vent panel should be low enough that it shouldn't be a problem. The main flue of the fridge goes up thru the roof.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If your fridge is in the slide out, you most likely have an upper and lower access vents on the slide out wall. I have vents like this and have had issues keeping the fridge cool on hot days when the sun hits directly on that wall. I would think and awning on that slide would be a big help.....Bruce
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

The dealers right. The top vent for the fridge is at the top of the slide out. It really looks too like there isn't even enough room to attach the awning at the top of the slide out.
Probably just need to invest in a nice portable canopy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The dealers right. The top vent for the fridge is at the top of the slide out. It really looks too like there isn't even enough room to attach the awning at the top of the slide out.
Probably just need to invest in a nice portable canopy.
Have to agree. I went and looked at a dealer photo and that top fridge vent can't be more than two inches below the top of the slide. There is the wide flange above that, but nothing that an awning could be attached to.

Tags
awning, slide