Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
The wife had an incident with the awning the other day with the wind. While trying to roll up the awning a gust of wind got a hold of it and the slider on the rafter arm broke. As she is out of town with the trailer, I can not look at it to see what is involved in repairing it. I will be joining her in 2 weeks and fix it then but was hoping to get some idea of what is needed to replace the part. The slider is the fitting at the end of the rafter arm (the arm from the top of the trailer to end of the awning) that slides up and down in the support arm (the arm from the bottom of the trailer to the end of the awning roller tube) and lock in place at the end of the support arm. According to the parts guy at the dealer it is a metal fitting and is riveted to the rafter arm. Has anyone replaced this before and how tough is it? I know how to remove rivets and have a rivet gun to rivet the new one in place, but how do I remove the slider from the support arm? I appreciate any help with this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #2

The wife had an incident with the awning the other day with the wind. While trying to roll up the awning a gust of wind got a hold of it and the slider on the rafter arm broke. As she is out of town with the trailer, I can not look at it to see what is involved in repairing it. I will be joining her in 2 weeks and fix it then but was hoping to get some idea of what is needed to replace the part. The slider is the fitting at the end of the rafter arm (the arm from the top of the trailer to end of the awning) that slides up and down in the support arm (the arm from the bottom of the trailer to the end of the awning roller tube) and lock in place at the end of the support arm. According to the parts guy at the dealer it is a metal fitting and is riveted to the rafter arm. Has anyone replaced this before and how tough is it? I know how to remove rivets and have a rivet gun to rivet the new one in place, but how do I remove the slider from the support arm? I appreciate any help with this.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After removing rivets, drop the support arm off the side of coach and run broken locking braket out bottom of support arm after removing the rivets in plastic support that fastens to side wall of coach for the support arm.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #4

I just replaced one on my awning about 3 months ago. Was in Myrtle Beach SC when it broke and found the part at Camping World for about $10. Since they had them in stock I bought a spare, although this was the first one I had to break in 30 years of owning RVs.

Removed the inner awning arm from the outer arm. Drilled out the old rivit, placed the new part on the end of the inner arm and installed the new rivit, slid the inner arm back into the outer arm. Thats all there was to it. It took all of maybe 15 minutes to replace.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good luck with your repair Rick. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. Since this topic is on awning repair, I need to completely replace the fabric in my awning. Has anyone done this before and if so do you have a set of instructions to do it. Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #6

What brand of awning do you have? I have seen it done on my old trailer by Best RV while they are in Quartzsite. I also install a new from scratch 5' Carefree of Colorado window awning. I could describe how it was done.

For Carefree Awning

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #7

it is an A&E 8500 awning.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
it is an A&E 8500 awning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer I left was for the post above mine but I did do a search for A&E and found the manuals they have on line but are not as much help as the Carefree ones.

Here it is.

Sales Info
Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #9

This link may be helpful.
When you replace pop-rivets be sure to use SST rather than the standard plated steel, otherwise you'll have rust streaks in a few months.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the help. I will let you all know next week how it goes. Sounds like it is a fairly easy repair. Unfortunately A&E's documentation seems to be a little lacking.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue74:
What brand of awning do you have? I have seen it done on my old trailer by Best RV while they are in Quartzsite. I also install a new from scratch 5' Carefree of Colorado window awning. I could describe how it was done.

For Carefree Awning

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Blue 74 mine is an A & E awning as well. PPL in Houston sells the fabric but I don't have a clue as to how to go about replacing it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by allendp:
Thanks Blue 74 mine is an A & E awning as well. PPL in Houston sells the fabric but I don't have a clue as to how to go about replacing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the Carefree site the basic should be the same.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well after the fierce wind up in Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago totally tore up my patched up awning, I finally bit the bullet and ordered new awning fabric. I found replacement fabric online for 179 bucks no tax and free shipping. They had it to me in 3 days via UPS.

Took blue74's advice and read the manual on the Carefree site and they were exactly like the AE 8500 on my rig. Took me 2 days( with a little hel from better half) to remove old awning fabric and replace it with the new. Not a bad job to do at all.

I learned a couple of things however do it on a nice calm day with 0 wind and hang the new awning on the trailer first before mounting it to the tube.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #14

Glad it helped. Plan on doing mine this winter and may add an awning. I had the chance to watch a RV repairman do the one on my old trailer and some of the tricks he used.

Can I ask who you ordered from?

Paul