Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Awnings over slide outs

It would seem that there could be numerous reasons why awnings over the slideouts would be a great idea. I would keeping debris off the slideouts would be useful. I would also think that there must be a benefit to the keeping the rig cooler in the heat. Have I missed anything? Has anyone had any experience with them and would you recommend them? Thanks
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a MH with the slide out covers that's never been cleaned, so it appeared. The leaves and sticks that were there had turned to dirt. Took to 2 days to get it cleaned (4 slide outs). The awnings made it hard to get at the dirt. So I'm hoping that if I keep checking the slide it'll not be a problem. Time will tell. I do recommend them.
BRYAN S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Had them on our 2010 5er and while it provided no cooling/heating benefit, it did keep debris off the slide tops so I didn't have get up on the roof to sweep before we slid the slides in. We now have a 2012 5er and we opted not to get toppers this time. Our main reason is bc we had to replace three of the four toppers on our 2010 in less than two years and that wasn't cheap.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

I believe they keep the TT or in my case the MH cooler, It's one of the first things I do when setting up. I just change the awning on the bedroom slide out myself, the fabric cost $110. And a big yes for keeping debris off the slideouts, unless you have the time to check them before you pull them in
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Hey Everybody, Thank you very much for your thoughts. We are looking at the New Arctic Fox 325M and it appears they have them as standard equipment. I can envision the benefits, which some of you highlighted and the disadvantages which also was highlighted. In our new life, it seems there is plenty of time for this kind of maintenance. After this summers heat, I would think there could be some real relief from the sun beat down on the top of the slideouts, maybe that isn't such a big deal. I was concerned also about wind and in general, one more thing that could go wrong. Anyway, thanks for all the great feedback. Forums are awesome!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #6

Did I ever tell you how much I hate slide toppers? Oh yeh, I have - - sorry.
Noisy in the wind (right over your head in bed at 2am).
No awning is safe in wind and many are destroyed after a good sudden blow in the middle of the night or while you are off somewhere in the day.
Birds love slide awnings and build their nests under them along with squirrels leaving their scraps under there.
They many times sag in rain and hold the water.
You cannot take them down like the patio awning in wind - - you must pull in the slide. If you are camped at Five Islands in Nova Scotia, then you live in there the whole time with slides in.

It is easy to remove debris on your roof without getting up there. Long soft cotton rope with an old bath towel tied into the middle of it. Throw it on the slide roof with the ends of the rope off each side of the slide and drag it back and forth. Stand away from the roof while pulling unless you like debris in your hair.

Lost several toppers on motorhomes while travelling. Nope, don't like toppers.
Bob
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #7

Hey Bob, Thanks very much for that comment. The wind was one of my biggest concerns. I guess, living in your RV with the slideouts in because the wind is blowing a bit is a pain in the neck. Because we're new at this, your comment brings up another question. Is it necessary to bring the slideouts in when the wind is blowing or at what point when the wind is blowing is that a good idea? Thanks for you thoughts and thanks to everyone else for their thoughts!!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about you OP,
but these comments and logic have pushed ME off the fence on slide toppers

saved me a large outlay I can use elsewhere !!! Thanks !
And to answer your question Jeff, no - we never pull them in until we are packing up
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #9

Beyond my own experiences of slide awnings, here are two others I watched. I mentioned Five Islands - - not that unusual a setup. Fiver beside me wrapped a slide awning over the top during the night. Pulled in his two other slides for the rest of the week. Came in ours and was so jealous because ours slides were out. Bahai Honda in the Florida keys - - typical quick but strong storm in the night. Wandered the campground in the morning. The number of slide awnings and patio awnings all over the park was amazing. Just too many hassles with the slide awnings for really no reason. I will put up with up and down with the patio awning because it serves a good purpose. The positives for slide awnings are few to none - - my opinion after having it both ways. Hey, remember - - JMHO. ....

Bob
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

No slide toppers for us

We had them on one rig and none on the other. I see the issue of wind was mentioned. Good points. We did have one tear due to wind. Will not bother with slide toppers on our current 5er due to our experience.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide