Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Awnings Visited!

Yes or no? I always thought to be a good idea, especially in the prevention of water intrusion at the seals. Im a bit freaky in keeping our stuff in good order
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Awnings visited?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I like awnings
Old 06-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #4

Ok, guess I should of said slide toppers. lol

Do you have them and your opinions, are they worth doing? Vinyl or cloth and are the cloth water resistant? One brand over another. I don't want to experience leaks on or in the slides.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We love our slide toppers.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #6

Cloth slide toppers are not waterproof, at least mine aren't..even with toppers, water intrusion will happen because of wind. Toppers were intended to keep the leaves and other debris off the top of the slide to keep the seals from getting chewed up upon retraction plus shedding water.. wouldn't be without them.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

All three of my 5er's that I have own have had slide toppers. I would not own a trailer that has slides without a slider topper on those slides. They sever several purposes in my very humble opinion! 1. They keep debris off of the slides roof so the seal does not get damage when the slide is retracted. 2. Water is prevented from entering the inside of the trailer when the slide is retracted. But do not stand next to a slide after it has rained and you are bringing in the slide you could get a bath. 3. This provides an air space between the slide roof and the underside of the slide topper so, the slide roof will not absorb the sun's heat during the daytime.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
All three of my 5er's that I have own have had slide toppers. I would not own a trailer that has slides without a slider topper on those slides. They sever several purposes in my very humble opinion! 1. They keep debris off of the slides roof so the seal does not get damage when the slide is retracted. 2. Water is prevented from entering the inside of the trailer when the slide is retracted. But do not stand next to a slide after it has rained and you are bringing in the slide you could get a bath. 3. This provides an air space between the slide roof and the underside of the slide topper so, the slide roof will not absorb the sun's heat during the daytime.
Exactly. Protecting the seals from the sun's UV rays is just as important. Just like tires baking in the sun, the rubber/foam seals benefit from extra protection. We had our toppers installed upon purchase.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #9

Any brand better than the other? Any differences in material thickness?
Don't think I would want black.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Personal preference I would say. There are differences in the way the mounts look, etc. Our personal choice was Carefree SOK lll with aluminum case/cover when closed. We had them do black hardware to match our unit, but then had do white vinyl for the material.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning