RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Axle Blocks to Raise 5th

This isn't the usual needing more bed clearance thing. My 5th does tow a couple inches nose high but I have 7-8" of bed clearance. I more want to raise the 5th because the ass end is just so low. I scraped a few times last year while out on various highways and ended up ripping a jack off and dragging my spare tire on a logging road. I've since made the jacks removable and will take the spare off when going to the same spot again this year.

I could lower the trailer down a notch on the king pin but I already chewed up the top of my gate once (albeit with the hitch slid back) and lowering would just put the part that contacted even closer. A couple inches at the axles sure would be nice. The springs are already above the axles so a flip is out. BTW... why do the manufacturers make this things sit so low anyway?

I've read a lot of negatives about blocks but don't see much in the way of actual problems. Just a lot of "could" or "might". So, am I crazy to try and gain a couple inches with axle blocks?

Trailer is a 2016 Keystone 308bhds - 35'. Truck is 2014 Ram 2500 4X4 totally stock.

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Why not run a piece of tubing same size as frame flange from front spring mount to rear spring mount? That is the usual cure for the late model pickups and insufficient bed clearance, to raise the trailer. Little more solid than blocks, and you could also stiffen/replace the hangers with real iron, not just flimsy stuff, cause the higher you raise the trailer, the more you raise the COG and make it tend to lean, putting side pressure on the hangers.

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Why not run a piece of tubing same size as frame flange from front spring mount to rear spring mount?
$$

That's basically a subframe which would probably be a couple thousand to have done right. I'm thinking I could slip a couple blocks in for a lot less than that.

I could also kill two birds with one stone and get rid of the stock tires ("China Bombs" as they're often called) with a bit taller size. I still may do that but am just looking at all options.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

One reason you don't see problems with suspension blocks on trailers unlike a truck is because most folks take the advice given. For good reason.

Having made a living some years back pulling heavy trailers (non rv) I've seen the results of using suspension blocks on a std leaf spring suspension.
I've seen two examples and both cost the operator lots of down time plus paying a big rig wrecker to move the trailers off the road and into a shop and paying some one to reload and pony the load to its destination. Very expensive mistake.

As mentioned the safest way is the sub frame method.

If you decide to go with blocks I would upgrade U bolts to the next larger diameter.....thicker top plates .....and heavier spring keepers......and limit hard sharp maneuvers as much as possible. Blocks simply add much more stress (leverage) to the items mentioned.

I did a 1-800 to Rockwell American Axles and Dexter axles for their input on using suspension blocks on multi axle trailers. They didn't recommend using blocks over 1" .
Which follows a big rig shop in my area policy of....blocks over 1" required the vehicle owner signing a liability waver.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #5

Great info.... thanks. I'll likely just stick with what I have. I take a real camping trip once a year to the same place but otherwise my RV never leaves the pavement. I can take a paved road in but it's an hour longer. For all the hassle and money I think it's just worth the hour in and hour out each year to stay on pavement and avoid the trouble.

It is kind of surprising with all the taller trucks that the trailers are slung so low. I suppose with a lot of RVers being older it's more desirable to be lower to the ground.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

You could install this and gain 2".
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus...s/LC87220.html
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

can`t make this stuff up

Never did understand why people went to the expense and hassle of having the axles removed and a 2" piece of tubing installed just to raise the trailer 2". You can put a axle block under the axle tube to raise 1 " or more or you can use lowering shackles, available at any truck shop, on the back of your leaf springs that will lower your truck either 1" or 2" dependent on setting or you can remove the 4" block in between your 350 truck axle and leaf spring and install the 2" block that comes with the 250 truck axle. All this does is make your truck sit more level instead of the raked look and makes you and trailer travel far more level or if you don`t like using mods that aren`t factory supported you can use this that will rasie your trailer 2". This item not only raises the camper 2", you can align axles with it should you need to and is coming standard on many many campers from the factory, so apparently they are not worried about raising the COG or taxing the suspension components by using this. All of these mods can be done by anybody that owns more than a screw driver and a adjustable wrench. AS far as the spare dragging on those off road trips, I had this problem to with some of those Cracker Barrel restaurant entrance ramps and just remove the tire and carrier and put he spare in the truck bed.
Attached Images

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #8

Definatly recommend the correct track route. It worked great for me. Afternoon install.
nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #9

I think my 5th already has a correct track (or similar) system in place. It's a 2016 Keystone and there some branding and colored parts on the suspension.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #10

If you don't have a flipped axle from the factory, it's your best bet as far as safety, warranty and reliability go...
nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicculi View Post
If you don't have a flipped axle from the factory, it's your best bet as far as safety, warranty and reliability go...
Springs came from the factory on top of the axles.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	159714

I had to raise my FW 5 in this is what I used. Nice and level now

Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote