Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Axle load rating

I am negotiating accepting the trade-in of a fifth wheel in the sale of our DP. After reading some horror stories here I am checking out some axle and loading specs. The one unit spec. indicates it has axle capacity of 12,000lbs. GVWR OF 13,100 LBS, NET CARRYING CAPACITY OF 2,195 LBS, HITCH WEIGHT OF 1,970 LBS.
Is my thinking way off base or are these axles overloaded-by design? Do we not subtract the hitch weight from the GVWR to yield the the true carrying capacity up to the limit of the axle capacity??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

You need to subtract the hitch weight from the gross weight--that weight is NOT on the trailer axles. Sounds like the trailer you are looking at has 2-6000lb axles. The gross weight less the carrying capacity (13100 less 2195 = ) would be the dry weight, if you have that figure available. You would not be able to figure the actual carrying capacity without weighing the trailer as it sits.

But you are mostly correct in that the mfgs will build to minimum safe engineering specs to save money.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Yes, the manufacturer has listed the dry weight @ 10,905lbs.Would I have to spring for a pair of 7,000lb axles?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

I have the 7000 lbs axles on mine and its been a great performer. I see to many 5th wheels with limited 6000 lbs axles. To me its a no brainer, for improved ride and brakes.
But there is a problemn with Load range E tires being used on 7K axles. With my 110 psi tires I get great fuel mileage with less tire drag. Also 80 lbs in 3500Lbs tires will heat up much more. So Get 7K axles with load range F or G tires.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
I am negotiating accepting the trade-in of a fifth wheel in the sale of our DP. After reading some horror stories here I am checking out some axle and loading specs. The one unit spec. indicates it has axle capacity of 12,000lbs. GVWR OF 13,100 LBS, NET CARRYING CAPACITY OF 2,195 LBS, HITCH WEIGHT OF 1,970 LBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Is my thinking way off base or are these axles overloaded-by design? Do we not subtract the hitch weight from the GVWR to yield the the true carrying capacity up to the limit of the axle capacity??

Are you buying a new fiver?

The weights and measures for a new fiver must be correct at the time of first sale. Do not use the axle manufacturers tag on the axel for GAWR. The vehicle manufacturer actually sets the GAWR. The only valid GAWR is what the vehicle manufacturer has depicted on the vehicle’s certification label.

This is a direct quote from DOT regulations: “On RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight must not be less than the GVWR. If tongue weight is specified as a range, the minimum value must be used.”

The figures you have provided indicate that regulation has been satisfied.

Now you have to do some work on the cargo capacity label.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Well, I chickened out on marginal one. Took a 2006 Landmark as trade-in. It has been used 4 times since new. PO just spent $2800 on new decals to replace the faded ones. Being in Canada- I don't know if we have similar protection with our DOT. This unit is within the realm of being realistic for weights & measures. Who sells RVs with a single 12 volt battery? That is next project- to populate it with sufficient 6volt storage & solar setup. Thank you for all your input.