Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #15

Sounds like whoever moved the axles to under the springs also turned them over to keep from having to make new spring mounts. You need to take the trailer to an axle/spring shop and have it looked at. You can confirm this by looking at the arch in the axle--the axles should have a definite upward arch in the middle, if your axles have the arch downward, then they are turned over.
Again, take the trailer to a professional shop--if everything is in good working order, a correction should be under $400.
Have you called Dexter? Their customer service has given me much good info in the past.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #16

Also, from another forum...

A easy check of the electrical portion of the trailer brakes is to measure the amount of current being pulled by the trailer brake magnets.

With the trailer brakes fully applied by the TV controller, 10-12 amps should be measured (assuming a trailer with 4 brakes). If it is and the brakes are weak, look for a mechanical brake problem in the trailer. If less than that is measured, look for an electrical problem.

A quick check to determine if an electrical problem is caused by the TV or the trailer is to activate the trailer break-away switch by pulling the pin and measuring the current draw as compared to the current draw measured when activated by the TV brake controller. The current in both cases should be about the same. One gotcha, the wiring between the trailer brake-away switch and the TV 7 pin connector could be at fault indicating a TV problem when the problem is the trailer wiring, or more likely, the connections at the 7 pin connector.
Posted by jfrow on the MyRVTalk.com forum

Joe

Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #17

Regarding magnet location, top vs. bottom, I don't think it makes a darn bit of difference?

Curious as to which way your axle is installed though. Bowed up, or down?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #18

Makes a big difference if the backing plate is designed for mag on bottom--this will put the primary shoe in the correct place. Upside down will put the main braking force on wrong shoe. I think.
Joe
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #19

I will be looking into the bow this evening. Also, I will contact dexter. Thanks folks.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
If I go just be the hub number - the only thing Dexter has for them is the seals. I will keep looking and asking questions until I figure this out.
I looked up that hub number on the Dexter website, it says "Fits Dexter old style (before 1998) 10 x 1-1/2" hub."

So it looks like you have the answer, they're 10" x 1.5" brakes.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #21

We haven't always had camber bowed axles. Some '80 model trailers still used the old straight tube axles that we simply flipped or rotated the axle so the spring saddles were on top the top. Then simply rotated the brake backing plate.

I would do as suggested and take all the parts you need replaced to a automotive parts store. That way there is no guessing as to which bearing or seal is required. For bearing and seal replacement I like to take my bearing to a bearing store. They measure the ID and OD and length. Also you get a choice of house brands or the best made in the USA brands.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #22

I e-mailed Dexter Axle and their rep. agreed with me. From the hub numbers it is a 10" hub with 1 1/2 inch brake pads. The magnets are supposed be on the bottom and as it was stated above - the axle tube curve is supposed to be higest in the middle. From my description it looked like the PO flipped the axles and not purchased the over/under conversion kit. They said "I should replace the axles". I do not know if I want to put new axles under a 1986 trailer that might only get pulled 500 miles a year. I know they changed the brake magnets in 1988 to a new improved version and I might need to purchase 4 new magnet kits. I might just put it back the way it is supposed to be and if it gives me any problems, then replace the axles. Please give me your thoughts on what you might do. I do not have deep pockets but I could and would replace them if it is some type of safety issue with putting them back the way they are supposed to be without replacing the axles.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #23

There is a right and left hand brake shoe arrangement. The front shoe, AKA leading shoe, is the shoe with less friction material and should be facing forward. So the magnet should be on the bottom.

If the magnet is on the top and shoes are reversed it will still work but braking power is reduced. So to be correct it would be best if you could rotate and/or relocate side to side the brake assembly(s) so that magnet is on bottom with smaller shoe forward.

I wouldn't worry about flipping axles as it's working now, unless you notice excessive tire wear.

You can buy a complete brake setup with shoes, magnet and backing plate cheaper than individual parts. Try eTrailer.com website for parts and pictures.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #24

Here is the run down on my brake problem: I had no trailer brakes (they were disconnected). I hooked them up and they still did not work. Removed rubs from one side and this is what I have figured out.

1) Axles are upside down. PO did not purchase the over/under kit and just flipped the axles. The magnet is on the top instead of the bottom and the axle curve is from bottom to top instead of top to bottom.

2) It looks like they replaced the brake pads and repacked the bearings at that time. The brake pads look almost new and the grease was still pretty and red.

3) Contacted Dexter Company about these issues. They recommended I replace the axles but also (after some back and forth e-mails) stated that I could go ahead and flip the axles back over as long as I cecked and rechecked any clearance issues.

4) After reading alot of literature on Dexter's web site, I cannot purchase the round magnets or parts for the 2000# axle. They were replaced with a newer type which requires I replace the whole brake assembly. Which also seems I will need to replace the hub.

So, at presend, it seems that if I need to replace any of the magnet parts then I will need to replace the complete axle assembly. The things we get ourselves into. LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #25

I had great success at etrailer.com identifying and ordering the necessary parts to re-do my brakes. They are very knowledgeable, and there is some good info on their website about identifying parts, too.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
There is a right and left hand brake shoe arrangement. The front shoe, AKA leading shoe, is the shoe with less friction material and should be facing forward. So the magnet should be on the bottom.

If the magnet is on the top and shoes are reversed it will still work but braking power is reduced. So to be correct it would be best if you could rotate and/or relocate side to side the brake assembly(s) so that magnet is on bottom with smaller shoe forward.

I wouldn't worry about flipping axles as it's working now, unless you notice excessive tire wear.

You can buy a complete brake setup with shoes, magnet and backing plate cheaper than individual parts. Try eTrailer.com website for parts and pictures.
The "leading shoe" is the shoe actually moved by the magnet. It's the shorter one, but will work equally well/has nothing to do with the magnet or the shoe's orientation, front/rear/top or bottom? It's more about the direction the drum is turning?

I do agree regarding the left and right versions. The magnet needs to engage that leading shoe for max braking force available. The drag of the "leading" shoe supplies the lion's share of the force required to engage the "trailing" shoe. It'll work in reverse, but not as well as it will going in the right direction. Properly installed, when rolling backwards, the longer secondary shoe actually functions as the primary/leading shoe! FWIW, -Al
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #27

Update on the brake issue. These brake assemblies are welded on instead of bolted. Once I can no longer get parts for this assembly I will need to replace the axles. Parts are already hard to get. But, since the pads were relatively new, I flipped the axles back to the way they are supposed to be. Cleaned everything - repacked bearings and replaced the seals. I am having to replace one of the shackle bolts (would not retighten) so I am replacing all four. Will know how everything is working later this week.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #28

Does anyone know where I can get an old style magnet for a 1986 Dexter Axle with 10 1 1/2" brakes. Supposly Dexter went to a new style brake assembly in 1988 and changed the wire colors on the magnets (I guess they changed them in some way). Anyway, I have 3 brake magnets with white wires and 1 with yellow wires. From what I am hearing they are all supposed to be yellow, but who knows. So, I have contacted Dexter Axle to see which they are supposed to be and what my alternatives are. It might be 2 new axles - 2 new wheels. At least the tires are already new lol.