Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Have you contacted Dexter axle?

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Parts Store

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #30

For the cost involved vs the headaches of not getting it done right, I would replace the axles and brakes with new stuff--that way you know it is going to work--+ you can upsize a little for capacity if you want to.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #31

Try etrailer.com. They are very knowledgeable and should be able to match up what you have. I'm not aware of any brake hubs that put the magnets on top. I wonder if in "flipping" the axles the mech really flipped them, i.e., turned them upside down. As someone else said, the unloaded axle will bow towards the top, not the bottom
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #32

Well - After cleaning up everything - flipping the axles (they were upside down) and rewiring the brakes, this is what I have. Three of the magnets have the white wires and one has yellow (they look like the magnets for the 7" hubs - pre 1988). After adjusting the brakes, the only one that works is the yellow wire one. It looks like the PO changed out 3 of the magnets with the wrong ones (probably since they are the only ones you seem to be able to get anymore). Now, my problem is, I am tryine to get 3 yellow wire ones and if not, it looks like I have to purchase new alxes, brake assemblies, hubs (complete axles time) and new wheels. I think I will also ask Dexter Axle why the white wire ones will not work?
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #33

Update - I found the magnets. Thank goodness. I will not have to replace the axles, at least not now. www.centrevilletrailers.com. Dean in the parts department was very helpful.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #34

Well folks, back to the drawing board. The magnets were not the right ones. I have returned them. But good news, new axles are on order (AL-CO) instead of Dexter. They will supposly be here by Friday (guess what I will be doing this weekend). Now I have to purchase 5 new wheels.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #35

Have enjoyed reading this thread. I have an 83 terry Taurus and am considering doing the same thing as you. How much we're the axles, I'd you upgrade to a larger capacity (weight rating) axle? I assume that you got a more modern bolt pattern ( I also have the funky looking 4 bolt wheels). Are both axles brake axles?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnfamily View Post
Have enjoyed reading this thread. I have an 83 terry Taurus and am considering doing the same thing as you. How much we're the axles, I'd you upgrade to a larger capacity (weight rating) axle? I assume that you got a more modern bolt pattern ( I also have the funky looking 4 bolt wheels). Are both axles brake axles?
Sorry spell check thought it knew better than me. How much did the axles cost? Where did you order them from? Did you upgrade to a larger capacity axle?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #37

Cjnfamily - The axles did not come in on Friday but the guy said they would be here by Tuesday at the latest. They are both brake axles and were just under $500.00 total (tax and everything). Yes, I bought new wheels (white modular) and were $133.00 total for five. I already had new rubber all the way around so it cost me $5.00 a tire to move the rubber from one wheel to the other. After I finish I will post pics of before and after. The before will be before I turned the axles over the right way. Should be a lot of difference.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
Cjnfamily - The axles did not come in on Friday but the guy said they would be here by Tuesday at the latest. They are both brake axles and were just under $500.00 total (tax and everything). Yes, I bought new wheels (white modular) and were $133.00 total for five. I already had new rubber all the way around so it cost me $5.00 a tire to move the rubber from one wheel to the other. After I finish I will post pics of before and after. The before will be before I turned the axles over the right way. Should be a lot of difference.
Where did you get the axles, locally or did you order on the Internet? Wheels come from same place? Ate they a heavier capacity than stock (2500 lbs ?)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #39

Bought them from local Trailer Manfacturing shop in Rattan Oklahoma (15 miles from where I live). They are 3500# axles and I got the wheel from the same shop. I looked around on the internet and just decided I would try them since I was going that way to see my dancing partner. They are about the same as the internet in price and I did not have to pay any shipping. Also, I let the professional do the measuring. Can hardly wait to put them on. It looks like Thursday is the day for that - supposed to be a pretty day.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #40

Awesome, are you going to do the install yourself? Let us know how it went
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #41

Yes I am doing it myself. It is pretty easy and you do not need a whole lot of tools. Just check and re-check everything. Safety is formost. I am working by myself and it takes me about 1/2 hour to remove and 1 hour to put it back together per axle. I got 1 axle done last evening and will do the other this weekend - I will have some help. It is more fun when you can do things together. Here is a pic with one old and one new axle. Have not bolted the other side back together so everything looks a little off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	33520  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #42

Here are the pictures I promised. Keep in mind - I not only replaced the axles and wheels but I also put the axles back the way they are supposed to be - overslung (axle over the spring) instead of underslung (axle under the spring). The person my daughter got the trailer from had not only underslung the axles but also put the curve in the axle upside down, (highest part is supposed to be on top not the bottom). Once I figured out what I was doing by replacing the one axle, the other one took me only 1 hour from the time I got to the trailer to puting my tools away. Not bad by yourself. The jacks worked better since I filled them up with oil lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Old Axle.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	33720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer New Axle.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	33721