Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #43

Looks excellent!! By the way, how did you jack up and support the camper while doing the install? 4 corners for support or more?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #44

Hooked it up to the pickup, then use the front jacks and in the rear both jack stands and the rear jacks. Probably overkill but I felt safe. You only need to jack the axle up far enough to get the tires off. At this point I had the axle just resting on the springs without the wheels. Next I move the jack to support the axle in the center (the jack was like one of the ones you see in a tire shop a large jack with wheels). I unbolted the axle from the spring assembly then unbolt the spring shackle bolt. I left the bolt in the equalizer. I had already purchased four new shackle bolts, one for each side of each axle (probably did not need to replace them but I did anyway). Once everything is unbolted just pull the jack with the axle out. Put in new one in reverse order. I put the new axle on the jack and rolled it under the trailer. Then, insert the spring shackle bolt, bolt the axle in place and then replace the new wheel. The new axles came with new U bolts and lug nuts. It worked very easy by doing only one axle at a time. Be sure to torque everything and the manual (had to download it from the internet) said to retorque after 200 miles. Then follow your normal maintenance schedule. I hope this helps. It was not hard at all just be safe.

mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #45

Thank you, wanted to make sure I had a good idea of how to do it safely if I have o do the same thing to my 83 terry. Never thought abut hooking up the truck for added safety.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #46

Well, took the trailer out for a pull this weekend. The new axles and brakes worked great. Was a good feeling to feel the trailer brakes actually working. Almost done with the 200 mile break-in period. I think the next thing will be installing a camera on the rear of the trailer to see behind it. Not sure if I want a backup camera only or one that is always on. It is either this or a TPMS.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #47

first time camper owner I have a 37' 5er
ok im in the same boat as some of you, I have purchase a 1988 fifth wheel London aire, the previous owners have done changes to it, one is removing the electric component that presses the hydro brake cylinder and adding a air booster for air brake truck and two it adding air ride(air bags) now I believe he also moved the axle to the bottom from the top of the springs, or do they come that way on some, this 5er sets high. how can I tell if its the right way or not. the axle has no bow in it at all, maybe because it has brace welded from end to end of the axle with a 4" brace between the axle and the brace. it looks like if you grab a pencil with two hands to break it with your thumbs in the middle pushing up on it.... so maybe its there to force the bow up when its really down...
I don't know can yal help.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #48

James - can you tell what axles you have. With the numbers off the axle you could go to the web site or call the manufacturer for the particular axle. I looked at Dexter.com and got some very valuable information about mine. I also contacted them and they were very helpful. You can probably purchase new brake assemblies for your axle, that replaces everything that has to do with the brakes. Mine was so old there was no help - axle and axle parts were obsolete.

The bow is supposed to be at the top and there are kits to move the axle from the top of the axle to the bottom. The PO of my trailer went to the easy way and flipped them and just bolted it back together. Now the trailer is right and all is well. It is nice to have brakes. LOL

I wish I could help you more. Hopefully someone will chime it that can help with your particular axle. Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #49

WOW!!!! That is my trailer with the same problem of finding brake parts. I took it in 3 weeks ago to have the brakes fixed. They told me they would order the magnets. 3 weeks later, no magnets. I am about ready to buy new axles with brakes as mwells4654 did.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #50

One question, if I use two 3,500# axles, can I increase my load capacity if I get a bigger tire?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
One question, if I use two 3,500# axles, can I increase my load capacity if I get a bigger tire?
Not legally unless you can get the manufacturer of the RV to recertify it like they did on our Dutch Star. Went from a 12,000# to 14,600# front axle. They issued us a modified vehicle sticker, they even had to stick it on the vehicle, they couldn't let me do it (by law).
In your case the frame may not be strong enough for the extra weight.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #52

Update - Have towed the trailer some 1500 miles and everything works great. Fixed the rear floor, resealed all windows and seams on the roof (leaked like a sieve), repaired the hot water heater (busted tank and would not stay lit), all new water lines (pex) and replaced the axles.

Now I am trying to figure out the best way to install a satelite hookup. Right now I have the cable running in the same access door hole as the power cable. I would like to make a permanent hookup to the outside of the trailer, one with the outside access door hookups. I will get it figured out.

I am living in the trailer while I work on my house. I am sure glad I got the shower working in the 5er. LOL