RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

The 4400 lb springs were just to soft for a fiver near its gross. And 6000 lb springs are too stiff, so 5200 lb springs should be just right.
Meanwhile, the wheel was off, the drum and brakes were shot, but the castle nut was still on but frozen to the spindle from heat. The shop says the axle is serviceable and is ordering a new hub, a brake set.
What may have happened is that the law of averages caught up with me using the EZ-Lube zerk and blew the seal. Surprised that the hub went from normal temps to destroyed in just 100 miles. I saw grease on the other drum so I'm asking them to check that. I still plan to go with 5200 lb axles/springs when convenient to me and not under emergency pressure. That will give me 12" brakes to replace the 10" brakes as well.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #16

That's the problem with the EZ lube system, you don't know how much grease is in the hub and putting too much in will definitely blow out the seal. A full hub of grease won't let the bearing heat escape.
I believe your problem was caused by too much grease which blew the seal and caused the bearing to overheat.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That's the problem with the EZ lube system, you don't know how much grease is in the hub and putting too much in will definitely blow out the seal. A full hub of grease won't let the bearing heat escape.
I believe your problem was caused by too much grease which blew the seal and caused the bearing to overheat.
Exactly, the directions I've seen say to add new grease until the old grease comes out. That actually is a lot of grease. Too bad as it is so much more convenient than pulling bearings to pack them. I do spin the tires while adding and found a bad bearing while doing that and had it replaced. I guess this old fart is going to learn the right way. We used to do that with cars every so often for the front bearings.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #18

Do EZ Lube systems not have any other relief besides blowing out dust seals? Aircraft propellers typically have two grease zerks and common practice is to remove one zerk and fill into the other until fresh grease comes out the hole of the remove zerk. Reinstall, remove the other zerk, and repeat.

Aircraft wheel bearings? Well, those get packed with a bearing packer or hand-packed. I've yet to see a wheel bearing on a plane that can be greased without removing it from the wheel first.

I've never encountered too much grease causing overheating of a bearing, but I have seen firsthand the overheating of a bearing with too little grease. It blew the bearing and dust seal out and let the wheel slip over the retaining nut. What I think is really at issue is that the EZ Lube system either doesn't allow grease to escape properly so it has to damage the seals, or it's not clear to people to open one end of the system to allow grease to escape.
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #19

A picture is worth a thousand words. In the spindle, you can see only one grease exit hole which is lined up with the inward bearing only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.png
Views:	12
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	249465  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #20

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words. In the spindle, you can see only one grease exit hole which is lined up with the inward bearing only.
Which in theory is fine when talking about a tapered spindle. The inner bearing is much larger on a tapered spindle because it carries most of the weight.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Which in theory is fine when talking about a tapered spindle. The inner bearing is much larger on a tapered spindle because it carries most of the weight.

How about on the straight axle? The outer bearing gets nothing unless the hub is full and then 1 pump too much will blow out the seal.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #22

Quote:
How about on the straight axle? The outer bearing gets nothing unless the hub is full and then 1 pump too much will blow out the seal.
Exactly right. They took a system that worked on a tapered spindle and [Mod Edit] it up by putting it on a straight spindle.

Add to the fact the spindle is now compromised because it has a hole drilled in it.
If you have that system a bearing buddy will grease the outer bearing.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #23

The continuing saga

It's been a little over a month and not fixed yet through no fault of the shop. They are busy with their school bus servicing contract, but have worked on my fiver when they can and the following issues have prevented completion.

In 2015 while traveling across the country, a wheel bearing failed in Idaho and scored the spindle. The repair shop pulled the 4400 lb axle and shipped to Dexter in SLC so they could be sure to get it right. Dexter turns it around in a week and the new axle with new hubs gets installed.
Skip forward to June 2, 2019 while returning home from 10 days in Boothbay, ME, we get pulled 15 miles from home by a trooper who tells us our RV in on fire. It was a wheel bearing on the same axle that was replaced. We find a shop to work on it as RV dealers in the area are booked through August. The shop pulls the hub, declares the spindle serviceable and orders a new 4400 lb hub from etrailer.com. When it arrives, it doesn't fit, so they take the parts from the good side which fits to a trailer shop. The trailer shop says that is from a 3500 lb axle and orders the parts from their distributor.

So Dexter, even with the old 4400 lb axle four years ago, gets it wrong and gives us an axle that is both wrong and under rated for our 10K fiver. I am miffed, but 4 years later not likely to get any satisfaction from Dexter.
We'll go with what we have to get back on the road, but next spring, I will have both axles and springs replaced with 5200 lb units to get our Cougar ready for long trips with bigger bearings and brakes.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
It's been a little over a month and not fixed yet through no fault of the shop. They are busy with their school bus servicing contract, but have worked on my fiver when they can and the following issues have prevented completion.

In 2015 while traveling across the country, a wheel bearing failed in Idaho and scored the spindle. The repair shop pulled the 4400 lb axle and shipped to Dexter in SLC so they could be sure to get it right. Dexter turns it around in a week and the new axle with new hubs gets installed.
Skip forward to June 2, 2019 while returning home from 10 days in Boothbay, ME, we get pulled 15 miles from home by a trooper who tells us our RV in on fire. It was a wheel bearing on the same axle that was replaced. We find a shop to work on it as RV dealers in the area are booked through August. The shop pulls the hub, declares the spindle serviceable and orders a new 4400 lb hub from etrailer.com. When it arrives, it doesn't fit, so they take the parts from the good side which fits to a trailer shop. The trailer shop says that is from a 3500 lb axle and orders the parts from their distributor.

So Dexter, even with the old 4400 lb axle four years ago, gets it wrong and gives us an axle that is both wrong and under rated for our 10K fiver. I am miffed, but 4 years later not likely to get any satisfaction from Dexter.
We'll go with what we have to get back on the road, but next spring, I will have both axles and springs replaced with 5200 lb units to get our Cougar ready for long trips with bigger bearings and brakes.
I read your whole thread to get caught up. It sounds like you've had alot of axle problems. Your 5200# axles should take care of you BUT.... you need to still carry spare parts even with the new axle installation. Be very sure to carry extra bearings, grease seals, and at least one complete backplate complete with brakes.

We previously owned a 2000 Trail Lite 7253 and in 2001, the manufacturer replaced both axles and all four tires because I proved with CAT scale certification that the 2200# front axle was overloading to 2800#, while the rear 2200# axle was underloading to 1400#. After getting the trailer back from Indiana with the new axles, I set out on a long trip with my family. While on that trip, I felt the trailer begin to sway when it had not swayed before. So I walked around the trailer and found that one wheel bearing loosened while on the trip. Upon inspection, I found the castle nut and pin in place. So how did it loosen? I drew a conclusion that one of the bearings races was not fully seated when the axle was manufactured and that after being run on the road for hundreds of miles, the race seated itself. The repair was simply to tighten the nut.

Moral of the story: Carry a tool box, spare parts, and a tube of grease!
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
I read your whole thread to get caught up. It sounds like you've had alot of axle problems. Your 5200# axles should take care of you BUT.... you need to still carry spare parts even with the new axle installation. Be very sure to carry extra bearings, grease seals, and at least one complete backplate complete with brakes.

We previously owned a 2000 Trail Lite 7253 and in 2001, the manufacturer replaced both axles and all four tires because I proved with CAT scale certification that the 2200# front axle was overloading to 2800#, while the rear 2200# axle was underloading to 1400#. After getting the trailer back from Indiana with the new axles, I set out on a long trip with my family. While on that trip, I felt the trailer begin to sway when it had not swayed before. So I walked around the trailer and found that one wheel bearing loosened while on the trip. Upon inspection, I found the castle nut and pin in place. So how did it loosen? I drew a conclusion that one of the bearings races was not fully seated when the axle was manufactured and that after being run on the road for hundreds of miles, the race seated itself. The repair was simply to tighten the nut.

Moral of the story: Carry a tool box, spare parts, and a tube of grease!
I carry tools and a spare set of 4400 lb wheel bearings which would not have fit the 3500 lb axle. The brakes, hub and drum were destroyed anyway. The TPMS hadn't reached the alarm threshold yet. Keep in mind that there are left side and right side brakes, but the shoes should be inter-changeable.
The one other thing Dexter failed on is they did not paint the axle so the original still looks good, but the newer one is rusted. It may not be the company, but the SLC shop had a problem.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement