Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Axle shifted, is this legit?

I had my axles shift on me when I hit the brakes in my 5th wheel while we were heading out of town. Luckily we were only 7 miles from home when it happened.

After one service call and a loooong day the trailer made it back home and now I need to fix it. What I am realizing is that there is a 2" lift block between the axle spring perch and the leaf spring. Also, this entire set up is under the leaf spring. In my research to order replacement u bolts I can't seem to find replacement 2 3/8 wide u bolts that are long enough for this type of application (8 inch or so).

This is now making me question if this is even legit. This is my first 5th wheel and I don't have much experience, and the trailer was purchased like this. I have used lifting blocks on pickup trucks before, but it doesn't seem to be common on travel trailers.

Does anyone have any advice? I like the idea of having the trailer lifted, as my truck is pretty tall (1 ton Ram), so I would prefer not to put it back to stock. My trailer was doing a wheelie as it was already.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2723.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	173949  
Slow Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Those blocks look a little sketchy. They put more twist on the spring resulting in issues such as flipping your spring shackle as show in your photo. Get rid of the blocks and buy a quality drop hitch receiver to level your trailer. We had a 12" one to level a travel trailer we towed with a high 3/4 ton truck.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
Those blocks look a little sketchy. They put more twist on the spring resulting in issues such as flipping your spring shackle as show in your photo. Get rid of the blocks and buy a quality drop hitch receiver to level your trailer. We had a 12" one to level a travel trailer we towed with a high 3/4 ton truck.
OP says it's 5th wheel so can't use a drop hitch.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #4

I would lose those riser blocks and get new hanger brackets welded on. They come in different lengths so longer ones should be able to give the lift you need. Etrailer is a good source for parts. BTW I have seen them with several holes which makes it easy to change the height if things change.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Those blocks don't look right to me but since I have never done it what do I know. I'm assuming that someone that knows will chime in. Did the U bolt break or did something just move? Is it possible that something just came loose and the lift is proper? I can't tell what the blocks are. Is this a homemade solution? Does someone make a kit specifically for this task
I guess that is more questions than solutions. Sorry.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

It looks like the perch that the blocks sit on has turned. It's facing the camera in your picture.

Everything under there looks screwed up. The other side must be just as bad if not worse.

Google some dual axle pictures to see what it should look like.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Those blocks don't look right to me but since I have never done it what do I know. I'm assuming that someone that knows will chime in. Did the U bolt break or did something just move? Is it possible that something just came loose and the lift is proper? I can't tell what the blocks are. Is this a homemade solution? Does someone make a kit specifically for this task
I guess that is more questions than solutions. Sorry.

Brad
I suspect those blocks are homemade. There Is a raised boss on the axle that fits into a hole on the block. Then there will be a raised boss on the top of the block that fits into the hole on the spring. That will work, but new hanger brackets is a much better choice.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

Take the block out and find the center on both sides.....drill and tap a bolt hole.....the spring has a bolt passing thru the center of it to hold it together.. the block should have a hole that receives the bolt head....the welded perch on the axle also needs a centering bolt installed into the block, with the head of bolt fitting into that hole....U bolts should be ok ....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

I had to flip the axles on one 5er that I had to get it high enough for the buyers truck, but I didn't need spacer blocks.
It looks like the U bolts were loose on that mount and allowed the axle to roll, out from under the block under brake application; does the other end of that axle look the same ?

My last 5er ; from the factory ; had all the suspension's spring hangers , on a 2"X 6" piece of box iron 7' long , that was welded and gusseted to the bottom of the main frame . That's how the manufacturer raised the whole 5er to get the hitch height up.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
The I-90 toll is around $11 to go from the NY-PA border to the non-toll portion around Buffalo. Have done it many times and in fact we are currently in that area. Depending on where you are staying near Niagara Falls, you may need to cross the Grand Island bridges which is another small toll. I think it is $2 when towing a trailer, $1 for just a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Google Maps will give you a route that is free of toll roads if check the block to avoid toll roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
OP says it's 5th wheel so can't use a drop hitch.
Oops!! Ok since it is a 5th wheel, I would cut off the hangers, weld on a piece of rectagular tubing, then weld on the standard hangers. If you are going to do it, do it the best way. Longer hangers would work but not the best option if you are cutting off the old ones.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #11

Looks like the equalizer has flipped an the shackles are in the wrong position. Should just have to jack the trailer up one side at a time, from the frame an it will flex back into place, then do it to the other side, then straighten the blocks an u-bolts, an check to make sure the center bolt in the springs is ok an not broken. A good trailer suspension shop should be able to fix it!!
kz owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #12

After taking a second look, it appears as though the riser block is no longer centered on the axle. That is a dangerous condition. Like it has been stated, a good shop should be able to fix it in short order. BTW has your truck been lifted??? On a standard truck you should most likely be able to get it near level by making adjustments to the hitch and pinbox without the need to resort to altering the trailer.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
obvious this is not a NEW rv. springs are rusty and the block looks pretty clean compared, even if its alum, its awfully clean........you need to get the right springs and shackle to give you the height, not this homemade looking set up
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
paz

Spacers to rise a 5th wheel are normally installed between the springs and the frame (square tubing is welded to the frame, and then the spring hangers are welded to the tubing). Putting a block between the spring and the axle puts extra strain on the U-bolts as you have experienced. It looks like something that was cobbled together by the previous owner.

Shown below is the 2" lift on our 5th wheel installed at the factory. Note the extra plate welded on to brace the flanges of the I-beam directly above the spring hanger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Lift.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	516.9 KB
ID:	173985
paz is offline   Reply With Quote