Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #1

B&W 3300 Companion in 6 3/4 F350 CC Turbo

We are looking for a new 5th wheel receiver. We are selling our current Reese 16 K slider and its rails. I am about to order the B&W 3300 which is not a slider. We have a Fox Mountain 2017 235RLS which has the recessed nose caps on the sides. We have towed the trailer with our old Chevy 2500 with the Reese without needing the sliding component 3 times over a 3 month total period for over 5K miles. There was always the reassurance that it was there if we needed it. However, we never did. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences using the B&W 3300 in a short bed with the newer rigs with the recessed caps?
Thanks
Bill
wfrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked up the specs and that unit is only 27.83 ft. long.

I have been delivering 5ers and TTs for the last 4 years now and i can tell you I have had to slide a hitch exactly 1 time. (less than 1% of the time)

It was a narrow driveway off of a very narrow road that caused me to Have to put the truck and trailer at over 90 degrees to get tit done.

Those sliders are really only needed if you need to get to that 90 degree mark and the funny part is it might not be needed at all on Your particular situation.

You could look into a reece sidewinder pin box. A lot of these lighter 5ers come with them. Totally eliminate the need for a slider with that.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

I've run short beds for over 20 years and 4 fifth wheels. Had a Reese for the first camper, then went to B&W. Love the B&W. Never had a problem parking where we wanted. I do admit I don't jackknife unless I'm on gravel. You can get pretty close to 90* if you need to.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #4

I have run the same B&W companion in 2 trucks with over 350K miles... BUT those are all long beds... with that said... every one of my friends with short beds at one time or another even with a sliding hitch have bumped the cab with their 5th wheel trailer... honestly these guys are seasoned drivers and they have still done it... I love the hitch and in each case purchased the correct under bed kit...

after their grief... I would never own a short bedded truck because I know I'd forget to move the slider and damage the cab...

These of course are my personal feelings... best of luck on your decision
Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

I Love our B&W Patriot hitch. (not yours) Our 5vr also has the "max turn" radious nose cap, and with a 6'4" bed on our 2500 Chevy have not "so far" have had any issues. This includes a couple trips to Branson MO where everything is steep hills... Including the rv park where we stayed. Saw many places in the park where rear overhang would drag the ground, and heard a couple, but no prob with trailer to bed or cab clearance.....

Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, turbo