RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Do you guys cover your hitch? I do not have a trifold bed cover

I have the Access Roll up Toolbox edition cover. Iíve had no problems with it and would buy it again. Being vinyl, itís not as secure as a hard cover. You will also lose about an inch of clearance between the bed rails and fifth wheel. Some covers will block your vision when they flip up. This isnít a problem with a roll up cover.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #16

Quote:
I have a bed cover and still cover my hitch.

Wcordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #17

Have used the Retrax cover on last 3 450s--it is covered when not in use by the bed cover, but not itself covered. These are made to withstand the elements, but will look nicer longer if covered when not in use. At 75, I can still remove the two parts and set them out, not sure how much longer tho...I also think propane has gotten heavier over the last 10 years.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I have the bw turnover ball style, and no, I dont need to remove it... I could if I had to, but I donít m, so I wonít.

Not that itís difficult but you do have to recall the torque numbers on the drawdown plate when you reinstall , so eh... Iíll use my other truck for hauling or a trailer leaving my hitch in place

It does break into two pieces but they are heavy

What I really wish I had was a trailer saver, but dang at that price tag ...
trailer saver is worth every sent of the price. i had a hard time swallowing the price. now i wish i had bought one 10 years ago
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #19

I got a really good deal on an used tri fold soft cover yesterday. I installed it and it looks good. One question though, is it normal to have a little "flapping" going on? It doesn't seem excessive but not sure if I need to tighten it up or if I need to realign it a little bit. Thanks
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #20

The bed cover should not flap at all, otherwise it will prematurely wear out/crack.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Went to my local truck store to get a spray in bedliner for my Ram 2500, decided to replace my Pro Series 16k hitch with the B&W while I was there... I was kind of sold on the Andersen ultimate hitch because of the weight and ease of removing, but owner told me I would not regret buying the B&W. Hope heís right!
Of course you won't regret it because it's good for the dealer at over twice the cost, LOL. Great hitch, no doubt! I was set on the B&W Companion Slider as I have a short bed, then saw and learned about the Andersen, and bought it! My main reason? Andersen is 35#'s verses B&W at 270#'s! I have a bad back and wouldn't be able to handle the B&W alone and installing or removing the Andersen is a breeze, not to mention easy to store anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
As someone that owns both hitches, I think you made the right choice. The only thing the Andersen has going for it is light weight. My B&W is the puck mount, which other than lifting is much easier to install and remove. With the Andersen, you have to climb in the bed with the trailer attached to torque it down, with the B&W just drop in place, turn 4 lock arms and insert safety pins. No tools required provided you can lift it yourself, which is how I do it.
Say whaaaat? lol I've never done that! Drop it on the ball, square up the hitch in the bed and torque 3 bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I have the bw turnover ball style, and no, I dont need to remove it... I could if I had to, but I donít m, so I wonít.

Not that itís difficult but you do have to recall the torque numbers on the drawdown plate when you reinstall , so eh... Iíll use my other truck for hauling or a trailer leaving my hitch in place

It does break into two pieces but they are heavy

What I really wish I had was a trailer saver, but dang at that price tag ...
For someone like me who is memory challenged I actually can remember the 50-60# torque numbers.
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have the extang solid fold 2.0 on my F-350 with the Companion. No issues.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote