Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #1

B&W Companion and bed liners

I recently upgraded trucks and decided I would upgrade hitches as well. I decided to go with the companion as this allowed me to get rid of those pesky rails in the truck.

We took a 2400 mile trip and upon coming home had to use the truck for something that required the hitch out of the truck. When I went to put the hitch back in for a weekend trip I found the locking pin tension bolt had striped.

I forgot to mention earlier that the truck at this time had a plastic drop in bed liner. What I think happened is that the bed liner flexed and took the tension off the locking pin of the gooseneck allowing the hitch to move ever so slightly, but enough to give me stress.

When I bought the hitch I read that those bed liners might cause issues. The manufacturer recommends cutting a hole for the hitch to fit in so it directly is in contact with the bed, or usea spray in bed liner. The dealer that installed the hitch said it wasn't necessary.

There are two lessons learned. 1 always follow manufacturer's requirements. 2 if they are going to sell you something most the time there is going to be a lie involved.

I've taken the bed liner out since. I actually hate them enough that I don't miss it at all, and will eventually get a spray in liner. But if I can help others because of my stupidity then the lessons are worth it.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #2

Yea you can't trust a salesman, but I can't believe they wouldn't just cut the hole and charge you an extra fee bucks if you brought it up though. Not a crook anyway, just lazy, lol!

Plastic bed liners suck anyway, they move and rub and water/dirt gets under them and cause holes to rust through your bed eventually. Spray in is the only way to go if you're gonna do it at all but honestly I think no liner at all is better than those plastic ones.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #3

Yup, even with just our rubber bed mat, the dealer recommended cutting two rectangles out where the bottom rails rest. I did and after reading your story, I'm glad I did.
Thanks for sharing
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #4

After checking with B&W, I removed the plastic liner and bought a rubber mat. I have had no problems so far with the rubber mat, but I should have just spent the money for spray-in liner and been done with it.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

I think the spray in liner would be the best route to go. I probably will get it done soon but until then the rubber mat has worked really well for me. I just cut it out so that the Companion is resting on the bare truck bed.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	74662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	74663  

Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #6

I have to ask what the red handle is for.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

If you gotta ask that I hope you've never pulled a 5th wheel before, lol! I never have with an actual 5th wheel hitch but I'm gonna say it unhooks the trailer from the hitch. I think they lock automatically when you back up and slide the kingpin? Into the plate receiver. If not it locks it as well. Not up on my 5er lingo either, I use a gooseneck adapter

EDIT: After looking at it on my PC instead of my phone im gonna say that Im not correct. Good Question and sorry for laughing at you, i apologize, you can laugh at me for laughing and you and being wrong, ha! its a bad pic as it doesnt show the entire hitch but I googled and looked at another one and the lever i though it was should be up higher and in the front. that looks designed so that you cant hook anything up to it?, lol! or maybe an extra safety feature so it doesnt come unlatched? Id like to find out for sure as well. none of the pics ive seen online of the entire device have such a thing on them. that looks like a custom job on a full size screen.

Anyways, rubber liners are better than plastic ones but they have the same inherent problem. It can be lessened if you remove it and clean under it periodically and if you have a bed cover or park inside or trade trucks every 3 years or so and don't care, but the second owner will probably hate you, lol!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

kewl that red handle is a safety device keeps from damaging the truck if you pull away thinking the 5th wheel king pin is properly latched when it isn,t
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
If you gotta ask that I hope you've never pulled a 5th wheel before, lol! I never have with an actual 5th wheel hitch but I'm gonna say it unhooks the trailer from the hitch. I think they lock automatically when you back up and slide the kingpin? Into the plate receiver. If not it locks it as well. Not up on my 5er lingo either, I use a gooseneck adapter

EDIT: After looking at it on my PC instead of my phone im gonna say that Im not correct. Good Question and sorry for laughing at you, i apologize, you can laugh at me for laughing and you and being wrong, ha! its a bad pic as it doesnt show the entire hitch but I googled and looked at another one and the lever i though it was should be up higher and in the front. that looks designed so that you cant hook anything up to it?, lol! or maybe an extra safety feature so it doesnt come unlatched? Id like to find out for sure as well. none of the pics ive seen online of the entire device have such a thing on them. that looks like a custom job on a full size screen.

Anyways, rubber liners are better than plastic ones but they have the same inherent problem. It can be lessened if you remove it and clean under it periodically and if you have a bed cover or park inside or trade trucks every 3 years or so and don't care, but the second owner will probably hate you, lol!

Thanks SultanGris, I actually have that same hitch just with out that safety device so I knew that wasn't the kingpin locking mechanism, but I did get a laugh at your post.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #10

The red handle is for the 5th. Wheel Latch Kit I installed as a safety device to catch the king pin in case I really screw up sometime. There was a long thread about it http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/5th-w...it-108952.html
Bill
Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #11

My B&W Companion is attached right to the metal bed. Then I cut out the rubber bed matt that I had in there to fit around the hitch. This way my bed is still protected, and stuff don't slide around.
I've had 2 trucks with sprayed in liners to the tine of $500.00 a piece. In my view there not worth that kind of money. Especially now that I'm not using my truck for heavy work, like hauling gravel, wood, dirt and what nor. The rubber matt is just fine for a full-timers use.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote