Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
That is absolutely correct what you were told, however I've been known to reuse lock washers when it's convenient but there are limits.

The actual problem is the guys putting the hitches together in the shop, they most likely use air impacts torquing the s..t out of them, basically squishing the lock washers flat and destroying their effectiveness.

The lock washers should be flat, unless they get broken they're fine!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #16

Good point to be brought up. No matter the brand, the bolts should be checked.. I'll do mine before the next trip !
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #17
IC2

So far, not had a fastener loosening problem. The original turn over base has separate nuts while the current puck base has a nut plate. Just because, I'll check that nut plate/bolt tightness and maybe even put a lock washer under the bolt head, use some lock-tite then retorque to spec.

To those that have a separate nut and bolt, why not use a lock nut instead of the conventional nut. Find Gr 8 fasteners instead of Gr 5 though.

Then, those that have had a bolt loosening problem, call B&W customer service. They may supply a new set of uprights either under warranty or at a much reduced cost. They supplied me with a new set of U-bolts on the turn over base version when one galled and was unusable
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #18

I would say that the overwhelming majority of shops never actually torque a bolt. They install with an air impact gun and let it go.

I learned a few trailers ago that as soon as I get home get out my torque wrench and check everything. It literally blows my mind that almost every single nut/bolt on my last 3 trailers was not torqued to spec.

I also do it a couple of times a year when I do normal maintenance.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #19

My guess the majority of folks don't own a torque wrench and hand tighten the bolts thinking that's good enough or use an impact wrench over tightening/ compromising the nut/ bolt which leads to loose nuts/ bolts down the road.

The last B&W hitch mounted in truck had near 75k miles on it of which more than half of that pulling 5th wheel, like others checked occasionally with torque wrench and never a loose nut.
Preventive maintenance goes along way.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #20

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
My B&W doesn't use nuts for those bolts. You run the bolt through from the side where where the nuts are installed in the photo. On the other side rather than nuts it uses a threaded chunk of rectangular steel that serves as the nut for two bolts. Once start the bolts into the retainers you don't have to use a wrench or anything, just turn the bolt head which makes checking the security/tightness simple and part of my routing maintenance. I personally check the bolts on my pin box every spring as well and wheel nuts and suspension components etc.
Correct and they torque to 80LBS
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #21
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Correct and they torque to 80LBS
Yep - finally got around to checking ours and they are tight and have been since the new base was added in 2014, or about 21,000 miles.

Good to check those bolts out
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #22

The hitches are not assembled at the factory. At least mine was not when I picked it up. So the question is: who assembled/installed the hitch in the first place?
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety