Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
Back to the drawing board; from TT to 5er

Now that we have a more appropriate tow vehicle, we are looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel. We like our current layout but would also enjoy more space. My wife would also enjoy more counter space and a nice rear bay window and recliners.

My biggest concern right now is size. I am a annual parks pass holder and really enjoy taking advantage of the discounted camp sites. It seems that most spots have a max of 35' and some even 30'. Just trying to decide between <30' or 31-35' trailer.

Also, I already have a B&W turnover so will be running a goose adapter off the pin. And because I have a shortbed, I'm pretty sure I will need a adapter with a forward extension as well.

Our price range is around $30K for a USED trailer. I found a 2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS for $28 but it is 6 hrs away. I don't mind the drive but it is almost 33' so that takes me back to my original concern about state/natl park camping.

2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, that is the one trade-off going "BIG". Especially if you get a wide body (102" wide). Got to watch the height too. Once you start hitting the upper 12's and 13's you will have to watch the roads closer for lower branches.

Were at 26' and my wife has no problem going 30'+ on any new RV tt. we look at. The problem is with 90% of our camping in state & national parks, one is going to have to do research not just on the campground sites, but on all the smaller roads leading into a park.

Spent 23 days up in VT. and NE. PA. at 3 state parks and one private. The last park (Half Moon State Park VT.) the gravel road to the park was about 5-6 miles. For most of it I had to stay in the middle of the road to not clip any branches. At just a hair over 10', what would it be like if I was 12'-10"? or more.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Thanks Superslif, I did not really consider height into my choices. Another thing I just thought of is most of the nicer 5ers are 50 amp. I currently run two Honda 2000's in parallel for my 30 amp trailer. If I get a bigger/nicer trailer, I will need to invest in another generator.
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
The dual Hondas will be just fine. You will need an adapter but you will have enough power to run one ac and the micro together. I camp together with two units that run dual Hondas and 50 amp RVs and have no issues.
Aaron, Erica and Lizzy and Abby the Labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually Diesel
5ver TBA
Airmech is online now   Reply With Quote