Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2005, 12:51 AM   #1

Most of you here probably know of the infamous Coleman Caravan. After nearly 20 months of ownership our first real problem showed up. Shortly after the snow stopped flying here in the north east, or we thought it was done snowing. We uncovered our Caravan to discover the lower trim molding had sepparated from the walls and allowed water to seep in and soak the OXB flooring. Of course we all know what happens when that stuff gets wet. Well as it turns out this is an ongoing problem Fleetwood is well aware of. So much so they no longer produce that model. So after contacting our dealer he checked it out and he explained the damage was worse than he had expected. The floor in was so weak in three places it will have to be replaced. Not knowing exactly what process is involved in that, I really hope it's not some patch job. And I really hope it won't take all summer to fix. We did mention that plans are set for June. One good note, it's still under warranty. Fingers crossed it will be as good as new, or as least something near as possible to that. Do you think our dealer should provide a TT in case ours isn't fixed on time? Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2005, 12:51 AM   #2

Most of you here probably know of the infamous Coleman Caravan. After nearly 20 months of ownership our first real problem showed up. Shortly after the snow stopped flying here in the north east, or we thought it was done snowing. We uncovered our Caravan to discover the lower trim molding had sepparated from the walls and allowed water to seep in and soak the OXB flooring. Of course we all know what happens when that stuff gets wet. Well as it turns out this is an ongoing problem Fleetwood is well aware of. So much so they no longer produce that model. So after contacting our dealer he checked it out and he explained the damage was worse than he had expected. The floor in was so weak in three places it will have to be replaced. Not knowing exactly what process is involved in that, I really hope it's not some patch job. And I really hope it won't take all summer to fix. We did mention that plans are set for June. One good note, it's still under warranty. Fingers crossed it will be as good as new, or as least something near as possible to that. Do you think our dealer should provide a TT in case ours isn't fixed on time? Any thoughts?

Old 04-04-2005, 06:14 AM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Hi Andy,

I'm real sorry to hear about this. The good news is that I did read on one of the websites (iRV2, PUX, GLPUC, alt.rv.pop-up-trailers, or Pop Up Times) that a pop-up floor was replaced at the factory and the owner reported that trailer was returned better than new. The description I read of the floor replacement process was that the trailer was put through the assembly line backwards to disassemble it, then with the new floor installed, the trailer was reassembled.

About the dealer providing a replacement travel trailer...let's put this in perspective. The franchise dealer is not in control of how long the factory keeps your trailer. If you approach the dealer, I hope you have a great relationship with him and you might get a loaner when you need it. However since you live relatively close to Somerset, maybe a personal visit checking on the progress might be in order?

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #4

Thanks George. Is there a good way and wrong way about "paying them a visit"? Should I announce "I'm coming down there to check on my TT", or should I just show up? I've already in the past stopped to visit the factory and asked for a walk through or tour and got denied at the front desk. Don't get me wrong, that is a great idea. I'd hate to drive 4 hours and be told "nope". BTW, I've been through Grove City before, I can't remember when though. Where in relation to Williamsport are you?

Del Monte
Old 04-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Andy, To announce or not to announce... that's a tough one..espeicially since you've been denied a tour in the past. I think that your barometer should be how they are treating you and expediting your floor repair.

We are South of I-80 and East of I-79.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote