Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Backsplash ?

Anyone here done a backsplash in their 5er?

I am wanting to put up a backsplash but worried about it falling when travelling, weight I think is what I am concerned about.

I am looking at the self stick from home Depot, they are not as thick or heavy as the ceramics, I could design and make my own but some of the self stick look good and not so labour intensive.

any special glue and why... heard about Epoxy but also that it is hard to work with, how hard is my question...

Thanks for any help on this issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

I see tile back spashes on up scale 5ers. Those upscale 5ers have better frames with less flex. I would think it would stay ok for awhile. Give it a try.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
I am not worried about the weight, my concern would be in more in the change in weather and temperature, I have installed self adhesive mirror in my old TT with no problems, there are some very nice model, for sure I will follow this thread, very interesting
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

My wife and I installed tile backsplash (glass and ceramic) in our 96 Discovery Motorhome last year. First time we had ever done tile in our lives. We used the same cement you use in the house and it help up perfectly, we couldn't be happier with it. I should mention the reason we did it was because the mirror that was there fell off. What a difference it made from a looks perspective, made it look like a really high end machine
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
My wife and I installed tile backsplash (glass and ceramic) in our 96 Discovery Motorhome last year. First time we had ever done tile in our lives. We used the same cement you use in the house and it help up perfectly, we couldn't be happier with it. I should mention the reason we did it was because the mirror that was there fell off. What a difference it made from a looks perspective, made it look like a really high end machine
Would really like to see some pics of that!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

We too tiled the back splash in our 1999 Discovery. Very easy project. Hard part was picking the tile and pattern. Took the old mirror out, spread the tile adhesive, mounted the tile, and then grouted after the adhesive had set. The project completely changed the feel of the kitchen area. A great improvement.
We have since traveled approximately 15,000 miles in three years with no problems. One of those things that one can do to make an older coach personal.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We don't have a fiver, but we used Home Depot's light weight Aspect Metal Tile in our DP. It's been three years and >30,000 miles and it's still solid as a rock.

Check out the before and after pics I included in this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/anyon...yet-78764.html

I would NOT trust any self adhesive tile for this application. Although the Aspect tile I used is self adhesive... it does list an option of using construction adhesive for a more secure mounting. I just used Liquid nails.

Be advised that, although they claim the tile can be cut using a scoring method, I used a 10" sliding miter chop saw with diamond blade to make the cuts. This is largely because I went with a Herringbone pattern and it required a lot of cuts.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

I installed this ceramic tile backsplash in our motorhome using silicon caulk as the tile adhesive and the grout. Plenty of flex and no concern about grout cracking or flaking off. Use lacquer thinner for cleaning off the excess silicon . I liked it so much I also used it in the bathroom countertop and backsplash. Has been in over a year now with no issues whatsoever over many miles .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-97509842.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	51462   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2719478941.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	51463  

Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
Thank for this info, I am planning to paint walls and cupboards and wanted to do a nice backsplash to jazz it up a bit, it is an older unit and tho well kept, needs some 'new blood' I was thinking adhesive would be a good thing even if it is self stick just to make sure... did you do this over a vinyl wallpaper? i dont mind roughing it up but don't think pealing it off will be an option,I do plan on 'gripper' paint on the walls to prepare them for paint, that might be enough or the adhesive may be enough... what do you think??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssdragn View Post
I installed this ceramic tile backsplash in our motorhome using silicon caulk as the tile adhesive and the grout. Plenty of flex and no concern about grout cracking or flaking off. Use lacquer thinner for cleaning off the excess silicon . I liked it so much I also used it in the bathroom countertop and backsplash. Has been in over a year now with no issues whatsoever over many miles .
WOW ! I love this tile, the colour falls in my range of paint choices...now this silicon caulk, is it that mildew resistant stuff in a tube? You need a gun to apply? How did you apply this stuff? ... on the tiles, wall? both?
Are those tiles 6x6 or 8x8... where did you find them... not that they would be available today but one can never tell.
You sure did a great job for sure... I hope I will be ready to remove the old furnishings hit the paint and tile and some new ideas for old S&B stuff for the 5er... but have to deal with the -41 C temps tonight first...

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Would really like to see some pics of that!
It isn't the best picture (taken with phone), but will give you an idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tile.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	51491  
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #11

The tile is both glued to the wall and grouted with silicone caulk from a tube in a caulk gun. It was very messy and I used lacquer thinner and a lot of rags to clean the surface of excess silicone. I would also recommend doing it on a cool day so the silicone is slower to cure and gives more working time. Do a small section at a time. The galley tile is 6" X 12" and kind of interlocks with the next tile. Bathroom tiles are 2" X 2" on a 12" X 12" backing and I used construction adhesive to glue the tile to the plywood countertop so it would be more ridged to support the weight of the sink. I still glued the tile to the wall and grouted the tile with silicone. The tile in the galley was made by Mohawk Industries #7386143 RE07-Canyon Clay/FL IN. 6 X 12 DECO HS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3130904455.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	51507   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1508270282.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	51508  

Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Thank you so much for all your information, I am going to tray and track this tile down or at least the company so I can see what they have available...

Lots of good ideas here and very interesting 'finished projects' I love them all... wish mine was finished already... but then the joy of accomplishment would be over by now...

I am glad most of all to know that it is do-able...exciting for sure!!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #13

It is not necessary to use silicon caulk to put up the tile.

The tile mats do an excellent job, and you can use either regular grout, or a no-crack urethane grout like Quartzlock2. Both work fine, although I'd lean to the Quartzlock type of grout. If using tile mats prep the surface properly before mounting the mat.

Also, you really don't have to worry a lot about weight. Most tiles you would use in an RV are not extraordinarily heavy. Not sure I'd put up half inch granite, but any regular tile should work fine. New Horizons has been putting up tile like this for years without any issues.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Looked for this product in Home depot and Can Tire, so far no luck, I have no idea wher Icould find it in Canada.... might have to take a look in UFA but highly doubt it...

thanks for the information, appreciate it.