Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Smile Backup Camera Suggestions???

My wife and I just bought our first 5th Wheel and Pick up...a 2013 Cedar Creek 33RE 36footer and a 2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab. I think I'd like to put a Backup Camera, which I'd want ON all the time while driving to monitor traffic behind me, AND possibly one on my Pickup near the Third Stop light at the top of the cab.

I know there are several manufacturers of these and am leaning towards Tadibrothers. I'm wondering if some of you who have experience with these could offer some guidance and suggestions...wireless or not...1 or 2 cameras...what size monitor...angle of camera...etc. These are not inexpensive and would like to avoid a wrong purchase if I can help it.

Whatever help you could give would be greatly appreciated....
Thanx so much...
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

With 31 views and no responses must mean that there aren't many who use backup cameras on fifth wheels.
Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Check reviews on Amazon. Many complaints about spotty signals with the wireless units, probably worse with a fiver because of its length. Quite a few well-reviewed wired units for under $80.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
There was a thread about this very subject not long ago. Maybe check it out. I think it ended with using a wired system. Good luck.
Go to the bottom of this page and take a look.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #5

Installed a wired camera system on my 40' 5th wheel. Love it. Developing the wire took a while, but did it. System is inexpensive, but don't plant to watch Super Bowl on it, just vehicles in rear.
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #6

By far I believe the Furrion FOS48 wireless setup has received the best reviews. Furrion calls this the Vision 2. Don't get the FRC12 (Vision 1), as the range is limited and there are reports of it cutting ou on the longer units You can wire the camera into your running lights and the monitor mounts in your truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I think the Furrion system is good and well reviewed, I prefer the systems from Rear View Safety. I like their 2 camera system (https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-rvs-2cam.html ). A main rear camera with 130 degree of view and a 70' wireless range. Plenty of range for 5ths. It also includes a side camera with a 120 degree field of view. Both have IR for night vision. The newer digital wireless systems seem to have far fewer drop out issues than the older analog cousins. This includes a 7" color monitor. It can be used for one camera or switched for both cameras at once as desired.

I cut out a piece of cardboard about the size of the monitor and placed it in various positions in the cab to see where it would work the best for me.

Some units include a DVR functions that will record all cameras in a looping fashion. This feature may or may not be an interest to you.

IMO I would not want a system that is not clear or dependable 100% of the time. I don't want it going south right at the wrong moment when I need it the most. I had looked at wired systems for along time, liked much about them, but as I tried to work out the realities of how to install it on my 5th with a closed belly I went with a wireless solution. Installation for a wired system in your 5th may be very different. IMO work out every detail before you buy to avoid that oops.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #8

I bought and use the wireless Tadibrothers but the exposed wiring is "ratty". I attached the camera to the rear refer vent and stowed the extra wiring inside of the refer compartment. The extra wiring in the truck is stowed behind the rear seat in the truck.
219RKS Idle Time 5th Wheel, Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper, 2012 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 gas e/w Air Lift Load Lifter 5000. We have visited all 50 states and all of the Canadian Provinces & seen all 5 of the Great Lakes since retiring in 1994.
magic43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

I also have the RVS (rear view safety) Wireless set-up. It works very well. I have the one you can use 2 cameras with. Very easy install, I used the center rear clearance light on my Arctic fox to mount the camera. I have a great view when pulling either the boat or RZR behind the trailer. Color is great, and the night vision also. I can see if someone is behind trying to pass us. Their service is also good. When we first set it up reception was intermittent, and they sent us a better antenna that we put behind the rear seat . It also has sound, and you can even hear the gravel on the road or a safety chain, if it came loose. My brother is a Fire Chief, and they bought a lot of stuff from RVS so that is what we both got. I also thought about mounting a camera on the truck to help hook up the gooseneck, but I just couldn't drill holes in my new truck. Dave-R
Old 02-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #10

Check out Levingstonholdings on ebay. Sell great units at very competitive prices. have a 4 camera system on truck and Teton. Love it. 10" monitor. http://www.ebay.com/sch/leviathan_ho...p2047675.l2562
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave

Rear View Safety also sells a nice wireless hitch camera with a magnetic base allowing you set it any where while hitching, what ever angle works best for you. It is battery powered with about a four hour charge time. That should be good for many hitch ups. Not intended for use a rear view camera.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/wirel...rvs-83112.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

In addition to the wireless hitch camera, rear view safety also offers a wifi version to use with a smartphone.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/wireless-hitch-camera-backup-system-rvs-83112-wifi.html

RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Been looking at them myself. We have a 38' jayco. Have had some technical questions and RVS has replied fast to my emails. But have started thinking after reading the answers to your question why do I need it? I back well, my wife is back there watching. Why would I care who's behind me? I don't pull anything behind my 5th wheel. It seems like a distraction if your driving. I've got GPS on the dash, my phone, than add a screen to see what's behind me? Seems like tire pressure would be more important. Am I missing something?
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I care a lots what is behind me if I'm fixing to change lanes or slow down. Plenty of drivers that tailgate. A semi can totally be hidden behind my 5th on a straight away. Small cars may just suddenly change lanes just as I'm starting to. As part of being a defensive driver I very much like to know what's behind me and on both sides. But that's my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
camera