Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Backup cameras once again !

Which one and best way to mount on our 5th wheel and in bed of truck?

Have the oem tailgate one tied into the nav which is great for the first part of hooking up, but once the tailgate is dropped to hook up ... no help...and not sure if I can hook other feeds into it...

I want a camera in the bed under the bed cover pointing at the hitch
and one on the back of the 5th wheel for reversing...

I do my old trusty 5" garmin nuvi 5000 that will accept a composite video feed...
maybe I could run a switched feed into it ?

what brand and model backup camera do I get ?
In the bed seems doable since it is enclosed and mostly protected...

but the back of the 5er is a LONG way back there - 38' or so...
Can you get a wireless signal up to the cab ?
or do I run the wire from the camera through the rv undercarraige to a transmitter in front of the 5th wheel ?

any insight is appreciated... TIA !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

HI JTB, A good quality 2.4Ghz or 5xx Gig hertz Wireless system would be the best. Elcheap off ebay.
kappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

My camera is on the back of the 38' 5th wheel and the transmitter is in the basement near the front of the unit. Monitor is in the cab. It will accept 6 inputs - check you instructions for your unit.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That's good to hear Palpatine !
so you ran your cable from the rear to the basement ? will have to research best route on mine.

haven't purchased one yet... still researching which one, how to, etc

Appreciate any link, models, etc...
Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

I have a Camos 709 with a 6 input switch so I can look down both sides (4 cameras- 2 in front of 5'er, 2 mounted about 3/4 way to rear of 5'er) one on back of truck, one on back of 5'er. If you look on this page you will see the unit I have - Commercial Backup Systems from MITO Corporation Excellence in Electronics for Auto, Car, Truck, SUV, RV and Boats
You will need transmitters also. I don't remember which ones I used but they were also Camos. You can view the rear of the camper and the sides at the same time. I usually switch so I have both cameras on the side I'm turning to on and one of the opposite side cameras on the display, usually the back one.

I ran my cable inside of grey PVC pipe bought at the local hardware store. Glued a connection wire end on that has a gasket and domed head that make the PVC sort of water proof. Ask at the hardware store they should know what you want. Then used pipe clamps to affix it to bottom of RV. This way the cable isn't hanging anywhere.

The rear camera is up high, cable comes down the back corner to the bottom of RV, covered with Eternabond. Side cameras mounted just a couple of inches above the bottom and cable goes directly into the PVC. Sorry no pictures but I think you get the idea.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

I tried a wireless on my 5th by mounting the camera on the back and running bell wire to the front and hooking up the transmitter to the front running lights. Worked great sitting still but was worthless going down the road. Got the unit off ebay so for $90 what did I expect. I'm going to try a home security set up that is 12v next.