Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
With this news it's very unnerving to try and pick out a new 5ver. One would expect that in these better times, for rv sales, that all the companies would be in good shape. Under what conditions did evergreen fail? Can this happen to another company at anytime? Are we stuck buying from one of the big companies just so we we know they will be around if we need them?
I thought we were good to go when we bought our Excel in 2012 but Peterson Industries, who built them, went out of business last year. Same thing happened with our 05 Holiday Rambler Ambassador motorhome when Monaco went out during the big crunch of 08/09.

I believe the problem is the higher price these companies had to charge for their units because of things like in house built fully boxed frames, better slide mechanisms, some customization, etc. We looked at many fifth wheels before we bought and many of the lower priced ones had a lot more bling and glitz but not the bones of our Winslow. Plus, we got to do quite a bit customizing to make it suit our needs. They just could not compete with their price point being higher than many coaches that look just as good but a lot cheaper starting price.

There are a few left like DRV (Mobile Suites) and some custom manufacturers and they may make it as the competition is narrowing.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #16

DRV should make it being owned by Thor now, but looking at grand design I'm wondering how long they will last standing alone. Starting to wonder if I should take them off our list. Any one have any opinions about if we should still consider them? Am I being over come with fear by recent events?
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #17

Maybe some bargains out there as many people will shy away even tho it is not logical.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
DRV should make it being owned by Thor now, but looking at grand design I'm wondering how long they will last standing alone. Starting to wonder if I should take them off our list. Any one have any opinions about if we should still consider them? Am I being over come with fear by recent events?
I wouldn't take this as an omen for Grand Design. Remember, the guys that run Grand Design got the heck out after Thor bought Keystone. They know the RV industry and my guess is that part of what makes their customer service so awesome is that they are privately funded and can play the long game versus selling an RV and providing very limited and totally dealer dependent customer support.

I'd buy a Grand Design tomorrow without hesitation.
DRV made great RVs, but the Thor ownership gives me pause.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #19

"DRV made great RVs, but the Thor ownership gives me pause."

They do and it should!

If buying a DRV be prepared to let the dealer get EVERY single item corrected BEFORE you give then a dime.

I speak from experience.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #20

I'd still by an Evergreen for 50-60% off MSRP. Even though I think they're poorly built, I'm pretty handy and other than something catastrophic I could fix most anything on one given a good YouTube video. I bet some dealers are going to take it in the shorts on their current stock. Of course there's the unsuspecting buyer that doesn't know enough and is enamored with all the bling. So my guess is that it may be tough to get a super good deal on one until they sit on the lot for a while.
After reading about all the issues and constant need for warranty work I would've never even considered one. But possibly getting into a $85,000 to $120,000 5th wheel for $45-60,000 might be worth it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aren't these the same boys, at least on the Lifestyle side, that drove Carriage to a dead stop?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

NuWa stopped production but kept their service center open and honored all outstanding warranties. NuWa morphed into a dealership, Kansas RV Center and still have their very popular service center open. That is where we go for 5th wheel service. That was a good business practice which entices former NuWa owners to purchase from Kansas RV Center. Too bad other manufacturers do not honor outstanding warranties after shutting down.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #23

Buying a 120k unit for 60k might be an enticing offer, but other than that I doubt I would ever bother to think about a brand new rv from an out of business manufacturer.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Aren't these the same boys, at least on the Lifestyle side, that drove Carriage to a dead stop?
Yes we had a 2010 Cameo I remember when they shut the doors and quit answering phones....same story here.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Buying a 120k unit for 60k might be an enticing offer, but other than that I doubt I would ever bother to think about a brand new rv from an out of business manufacturer.

Just get an extended warranty. Most RV warranties are only 1-2 years anyway. Anyone that's fairly handy should be able to do most needed repairs anyway. I'd easily give up the factory warranty to save $60,000. Of course it's not really saving $60,000 most deals are 30% or better off MSRP. So in reality you're saving $24,000. Still a chunk of change.
Even if they're out of business what's the loss? Everything on a 5th wheel is made buy someone else. They only make the walls, floors and frame the roof. The rest is made by 3rd party suppliers and just assembled by Evergreen. Fridge, dinning sets, sofas, lights, WH, AC, etc is all made by another party. Just contact them if you have an issue. Even items like the water pump carry their own warranty. So after a year or two you're on your own anyway. Wouldn't matter if Evergreen was in business or not you still have to dig out of your own pockets to get something fixed.
My 5er is 3+ years old and the MFG means nothing at this point.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #26

I would suggest buy an extended warranty before they close. I purchased mine from cornerstone for 1700.00 dollars they have been fantastic. Paid out 8000.00 plus dollars. Worth every penny
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
From the RV Daily Report "Lack of Finances Pulls Down Evergreen RV's Legacy". Read about it HERE.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #28

This is what the RVDA is advising dealers.

When a Manufacturer Suspends Operations: What a Dealer Should Know
racesport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen