Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Bad road to travel

Don't know if this is the right place or not but just wanted to let you know about a strech of road not to ravel in Michigan. Last weekend we traveled down state to visit out kids and grandkids. We don't like to travel the interstate roads in our state because you miss so much beautiful country. We figured that we could use I-69 for traversing from West to East on our trip for a short time. THAT WAS A MISTAKE!! We entered I-69 from M-53 South and proceeded East on I -69 to Port Huron, MI. However we ran into a segment of construction that was horrible. The speed limit was 60MPH 0r 45MPH if workers present. There was no working being done at the time so we were happy traveling at aprox. 60 MPH. I noticed a larger 5th wheel and pickup ahead of us and it was rocking and the driver kept hitting his brakes. All of a sudden our truck and trailer started bucking and rocking I slowed to aprox 50MPH and I was so affraid that our trailer was going to come unhooked or suffer a seperation. It bucked back and forth and from side to side. I slowed to 45MPH as well did the trailer and truck ahead of us. It calmed down and we quickly looked for a way to get off the interstate. Cars and single vehicles were passing us at well over the speed limit with no problem. Soon we saw an exit for M-19 South and we took it. I checked the rig and it appeared ok. I've towed a trailer and 5th wheel many 1000's of miles and never worried like I did this time. Just thought I would put this out for information, and see if anyone else had encountered this on this stretch of road.

hamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
IMO that is expected when encountering road construction, and I drive accordingly. This brings to mind the stories of RV'ers driving the roads to Alaska at the speed limit, regardless of frost heave warnings.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Bad Road to Travel

Agree that those roads in MI are horrible.. last year, 96 going west from 69 was even worse.. there were areas out of the construction zones that had been "repaired" and those areas were worse than the spots they hadn't chewed up yet..
Worst example of road rebuilding / construction I've seen in 50+ years of driving all over the U.S..
road contractor should be sued and in jail... but then it was all free stimulus $ so there obviously was no controls or performance criteria.
2009 AB 40QSP/Powerglide/Cummins 8.9L ISL/Allison 3000/Pressure ProTMS/Blue Ox Base Plate, Towbar, Patriot Braking System, FMCA-Badger Chapter, Allegro Club-WAW
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote