Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #1

I'm sure this has been discussed in the forums before, but I couldn't find it in my search.

We never experienced bad tasting water from our RVs before, until we bought this one. It's a Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel. Love the unit, but the water, especially coming out of the kitchen tap is just the most chemical tasting I have ever experienced. I sanitized the water tank before using it the first time, so since our first run was to a state park using the onboard tank, and I thought maybe the chlorine was the source, but even city water has the same foul taste.

The bathroom is much less likely to have the taste, but it is nearest the freshwater tank and city lines. But the kitchen - oh - what a taste and chemical odor. Given two days of use, it gets less offensive, but you still don't want to sip it. Tastes like plastic. Not sulfur, not chlorine, but chemical.

I hope this doesn't mean I either have to live with it, or run all new lines...

wynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #2

I'm sure this has been discussed in the forums before, but I couldn't find it in my search.

We never experienced bad tasting water from our RVs before, until we bought this one. It's a Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel. Love the unit, but the water, especially coming out of the kitchen tap is just the most chemical tasting I have ever experienced. I sanitized the water tank before using it the first time, so since our first run was to a state park using the onboard tank, and I thought maybe the chlorine was the source, but even city water has the same foul taste.

The bathroom is much less likely to have the taste, but it is nearest the freshwater tank and city lines. But the kitchen - oh - what a taste and chemical odor. Given two days of use, it gets less offensive, but you still don't want to sip it. Tastes like plastic. Not sulfur, not chlorine, but chemical.

I hope this doesn't mean I either have to live with it, or run all new lines...

Old 10-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #3

Does the trailer have a water filter?? If you sanitized the system using bleach and it has a filter, the chances are good that the filter element is saturated with bleach and is leaching it out into the lines. No filter, then I would guess you might need to run a LOT more water through the system.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #4

I cannot guarantee it will work, but try adding a couple quarts of concentrated lemon juice to a full tank of clean, fresh water from a known good source. Remove all filters/purifiers. Pump through all lines and allow to sit for as long as possible. Drain and refill with water from same source. It should reduce or eliminate undesirable taste. Buy and install new filters/purifiers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #5

If you do not have a water filter, let me suggest getting a PUR water filter. This fits on the end of your kitchen sink spout. It dramatically improves taste of the water and can filter out some pretty nasty stuff. Refills are faily inexpensive and it is easy to install. You only use the filter when pouring water to drink, otherwise it is bypassed making the filter last a long time.
Bob
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Although not applicable to your "plastic taste" complaint, if one has a hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) smell/taste to the water in different locations, it's probably time to change the water heater anode rod. Been there & done that!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
Although not applicable to your "plastic taste" complaint, if one has a hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) smell/taste to the water in different locations, it's probably time to change the water heater anode rod. Been there & done that!

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that smell, I know (friends of ours bought a used motorhome with water sitting in the water heater and water tank from several years earlier...)!!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #8

Hmmm, I don't think I have an inline water filter, but I'll look. We haven't run one ourselves for a very long time because of the pressure drop. I won't swear that it's not bleachy, but we've run a lot of water through those lines since, although wanting to avoid that kitchen spigot doesn't aid in use.

Ironically, we can make coffee with this water and not detect a thing wrong (I drink only black coffee), but I suspect we make the coffee strong enough to kill any other taste.

Is there a filter that can be cut into the plastic lines short of the sink, although I guess thinking about this, the PUR filter makes MORE sense, since it's at the output.

The lemon juice idea makes sense too, I have some 15 gallons or so of water remaining which I filled this past weekend when our campground was having some intermittent pressure problems resulting in somewhat dribbly showers - I might dump some juice into that and run the pump. I am convinced that this taste is either coming from the lines or the plastic fixtures leaching.

Thanks for the ideas - MORE welcome!!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there a filter that can be cut into the plastic lines short of the sink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many of us have a drinking water dispenser which is permanetly mounted on the sink, but a faucet mounted is a good solution.

Drinking/cooking water is really all that needs to be filtered.

I have a sediment filter for all water coming into rig, but only filter drinking water after that.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have a 5 micron whole house filter inline with the city water tap. This filters all the water that goes to the coach. I also have a 5 stage Watts RO system mounted under the sink. This gives me almost perfect water at the RO tap.

Before we installed the RO system we use to buy RO water by the gal. The water guy said to sanitize and freshen the bottles every 60 to 90 days depending on use. The process was a mild bleach solution followed by a bi-carb soda rinse and water rinse.

So, you might try the lemon juice followed by a soda/water rinse.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
jfb

We have found that if the water is "bad" due to local situations, such as sea water incursion or local chlorination, that we have had to purchase drinking water from the super markets. Unfortunately, increasingly, that's the only way to deal with it....????
Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #12

Something to keep in mind is the supply hose you use. Only use hose approved for potable water and make sure it is not made in China or some other sub standard quality place. A couple of years ago I purchased one while on a trip and it made the water smell. I ran water through it for several hours and it still had a bad odor, I then threw it in the trash.