Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Balance tires & shocks

Can balancing beads be used in the tires on the trailer to help smooth out the ride? Several on the MH page use them with good results and I put them in our MH tires. We full time in a MH and am thinking of going to a 5th wheel. I'm trying to figure it all out. I will be going with G rated tires. Also would shocks on the trailer be a good idea? I am also looking at an air pin box or air 5th wheel hitch. To many decisions retirement is not suppose to be this confusing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

The bead company's seem to not recommend them for smaller tires. Don't recall why.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

Can't comment on the beads, but with my 2009 Bighorn that came with shocks, I added an air ride hitch that also has fore/aft cushioning and I absolutely love how it tows. No "chucking". No jerking in the TV. It all just "floats" behind.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

I've never seen beads in trailer tires but not sure why. We do have shocks & a Demco glide ride pin box. With the B&W companion hitch we get a smooth ride and no noise. Good luck whichever way you go. We also went from a 45' MH to the fifth wheel.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

Here is a website with balance bead info. They say it's ok for trailer tires.

https://checkeredflagtirebalancebead...arts/#trailers
Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Take a look at Centramatics. Centramatics.com

I haven't had a lead weight on my truck or trailer for over 5 years, wheels stay in balance even with the mud I work in.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Take a look at Centramatics. Centramatics.com

I haven't had a lead weight on my truck or trailer for over 5 years, wheels stay in balance even with the mud I work in.

I'm a big fan of the Centramatics. Had them on two class A's. I wasn't aware they had them for trailers but if so I might look at them as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Hubs are hubs, rotors are rotors. As long as the bolt pattern is available, and there is clearance, they will work.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #9

A word about the air ride. When I was first starting out I was asking and I was hold that it was better to use an air ride hitch instead of the airride pin box. The reasoning was that when / if you change trailers the air ride pin box will not necessarily fit to move to a new trailer but the air ride hitch will just stay with the truck and work with the new trailer.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
Can balancing beads be used in the tires on the trailer to help smooth out the ride? Several on the MH page use them with good results and I put them in our MH tires. We full time in a MH and am thinking of going to a 5th wheel. I'm trying to figure it all out. I will be going with G rated tires. Also would shocks on the trailer be a good idea? I am also looking at an air pin box or air 5th wheel hitch. To many decisions retirement is not suppose to be this confusing.
I would definitely get the tires balanced on the trailer. We have had the tires balanced on both the 5er and the stacker and some of the tires required substantial weight to balance. Trailers seemed to pull easier after balancing and certainly the amount of movement of stuff in the trailer seemed less.

Have not tried beads but whether it be beads or weights have it done.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #11

I don't know if beads in the tires will interfere with a TPMS.

If you are looking at 16" tires you may want to look at 17.5". It depends on how heavy your trailer is but I changed from Good Year G614 to a Good Year G114. I don't know why they call it G114 because it is an 'H' rated tire and it is 17.5". The tires are only 1/10" difference so they fit nicely in the same space as my 16's.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #12

I had our tires balance when we had the Chinabombs and also when I had new tires installed. I told them to put the weights on the inside of the wheel so they wouldn't be seen.

I'm installing wet bolts and HD shackles. When that's done I'm installing shocks (Joyrider). Got them in the garage awaiting install. It makes sense to me to have shocks.

Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, tires