Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
IMHO it doesn't. If he needs new batteries, there will be times he runs them flat. If they're starting batteries, doing that a few times and they are toast. Marine hybrids would be better, but they can't take the cycling like a GC-2 and don't have the AH. So for only a few bucks cheaper, why even recommend these to a new RVer. There is certainly no disadvantage using GC-2 when bouncing CG to CG and they could save his butt in a power outage. Besides all that, he indicated an interest in having more power and reliability. He also may add an inverter (if he doesn't already have on) in the future.
Pretty shortsighted. and I agree with J. If he is NOT bdocking or drycamping it DON'T MATTER what battery he gets. and why assume he will run it flat. NO battery, including your wonderful AGM's will do well with that treatment and he can buy 5 cheepee, for one AGM.

Ridiculous.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Pretty shortsighted. and I agree with J. If he is NOT bdocking or drycamping it DON'T MATTER what battery he gets. and why assume he will run it flat. NO battery, including your wonderful AGM's will do well with that treatment and he can buy 5 cheepee, for one AGM.

Ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenlitz View Post
new to forum! I have been told to use 2 6 volt golf cart batteries instead of 2 -12 volt, ill have longer lasting and more power! has any body tried this and is it true?
The OP's question has been answered. It's very apparent to me they don't want a cheap alternative and to save $30 by buying starting batteries and regret it later.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:

Gel batteries are generally not recommend and their use is declining across the board. The future is AGMs, they are just too expensive at this point for their wide use by the general public. Once the price comes down, wet cells will be phased out for most applications.
Why not recommended? Because of cost? I had one in a vehicle with a powerful stereo and 2 amps. It ran it all day with the engine off. Seems to have much more power capacity by far than a wet cell.what is bad thing about it?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post

Why not recommended? Because of cost? I had one in a vehicle with a powerful stereo and 2 amps. It ran it all day with the engine off. Seems to have much more power capacity by far than a wet cell.what is bad thing about it?
A stereo and 2 amps? A pair of GCs would run the 2 amp stereo for 6 days before reaching 50% discharged. A pair of gels would cost 3 times as much and wouldn't last as long (unless the AHs were equal) I'm not knocking Gels or AGMs, they both work fine. If your pockets are fully of money and you irk at the idea of checking water level twice a year and adding once, then wet cells are not for you. Personally I don't care if someone wants to run flashlight batteries. I just don't recommend it. If you want, start a Poll asking who uses wet, gel and agm. I will bet less than 5% of RVers use gel, if any.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #19

Quote:
A stereo and 2 amps? A pair of GCs would run the 2 amp stereo for 6 days before reaching 50% discharged. A pair of gels would cost 3 times as much and wouldn't last as long (unless the AHs were equal) I'm not knocking Gels or AGMs, they both work fine. If your pockets are fully of money and you irk at the idea of checking water level twice a year and adding once, then wet cells are not for you. Personally I don't care if someone wants to run flashlight batteries. I just don't recommend it. If you want, start a Poll asking who uses wet, gel and agm. I will bet less than 5% of RVers use gel, if any.
The stereo and 2 ampLIFIERS I think he meant.

Agree about the Gels, Although I liked them a few years ago. The AGM's are not more powerful than wet cell of the same size and 3 times more $$$$$.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Doesn't even matter. Basing a choice of what battery to use in an RV by a car battery and stereo is senseless. I have an AGM starting battery in one of my Harley's, but that sure doesn't mean I should put them in my RV as house batteries.

There's hundreds of threads on the forum about what batteries to use for the house and why.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Not really.

With batteries in parallel, if one has failed, it will cause the other one to fail rather very soon unless you disconnect the bad one.
That's not at all true. Only in the very rare instance where a battery has failed because cell has shorted, would the rest of the batteries be temporarily compromised. Otherwise, a failed battery would not in any way interfere with the remainder of the batteries.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #22

Quote:

This. Yea I don't remember the total amp draw but it had a 12" sub woofer and 4 6 inch speakers. You could hear the words with the windows up about 200 yards away. Pretty sure it would drain a golf cart battery in about 30 minutes, lol! Ive only had a camper 5 months and never camped without power.

I was just curious as the gel cell is the best longest lasting battery I've ever seen but they are spendy.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Not really.

With batteries in parallel, if one has failed, it will cause the other one to fail rather very soon unless you disconnect the bad one.

Joel
That would be exactly what to do when one fails....and I have done so. It is also what to do when one CELL goes bad according to the hydrometer and I have done so. When a SIX volt battery fails...the other one is useless even if in perfect condition. I would only use 6 volts in 2 banks to avoid this issue and always have one "12V" source available.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #24

Quote:
How about those optima gel cell batteries? Anyone know anything about those?
Optimas are not gels...they are spiral wound AGMs...rolling the glass mat into 6 cylinders in bright shiny colored high priced batteries that are MOSTLY not deep cycles and when they claim they are (bluetop/LIGHT grey case) ...they store less amphours in a given size then their AGM competitors.

FWIW...I see no evidence of the price of AGM's coming down unless they are from China. AGMS do NOT provide more cycle life than high quality wet cells. This from Trojan which makes all three types (Gel, AGM an Wet):
"What are the advantages and disadvantages of gel, AGM, and flooded lead acid deep cycle?
Generally, gel and AGM batteries have about 20% less capacity, cost about two times more, and have a shorter cycle life than comparable flooded lead acid batteries. However, Gel and AGM batteries do not need watering, are safer (no acid spilling out), can be placed in a variety of positions, have a slower self-discharge characteristic, and are more efficient in charging and discharging than flooded batteries (see table below). Gel batteries are more suitable for deep cycling applications whereas AGM batteries are more for light cycling and engine-starting applications.

Trojan Battery Company
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #25

Thanks for info. There are 3 different optimas. Blue red and yellow top and yellow is the most powerful and spendy. That's the one I had.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for info. There are 3 different optimas. Blue red and yellow top and yellow is the most powerful and spendy. That's the one I had.
I would point out that the yellowtop spec sheet for the Group31 battery they sell details that it only provides 75 amphours.
http://d26maze4pb6to3.cloudfront.net...pecs_Sheet.pdf

This is in contrast with Deka/EastPenn and Trojan group 31's ...all of which supply in excess of 100amphours. 1/3 more power capacity than 75.

The Group 31 Yellowtop sells for 305 bucks... the Trojan for $267 (110amphours) Deka $260 (105ahs).
Old 11-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #27

interesting. That looks nothing like the one I had 10 years ago, perhaps they changed. At any rate I believe ya, thanks for the info!

I have an interstate Marine/rv battery in mine. 550 cca 660 mca
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
That's not at all true. Only in the very rare instance where a battery has failed because cell has shorted, would the rest of the batteries be temporarily compromised. Otherwise, a failed battery would not in any way interfere with the remainder of the batteries.
Stan,

I do boat work (or did before the depression) and in the 300 slip marina where I did most of that work there were about 5 battery explosions in a season. It was always paralleled batteries. They may not have always been parallel, but it was never - ever a single battery. I also got to diagnose about another dozen to 15 boats with one dead battery and one good one. If the owner replaced the bad battery, he would end up replacing the one that he thought was good before the end of the season.

Add that up how ever you choose, but this is the tally from years of experience.

Matt

Tags
batteries