Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sarasota, Fl USA
Posts: 337
Here is a great resource for some practical information on batteries. Well written and easily understood.

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

After doing this stuff for 40 years (holy smoke, that long??? HORRORS. LOL), I can vouch for the double GC batteries outlasting the typical RV/Marine 12v by about 3 times as long. I dry camp a lot and use a 2000w inverter. I just replaced my Trojans that were 7 years old. I have run these now for the last 20 years in both my motorhomes and now, the fiver - - much better.

Bob
__________________

__________________
2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,829
Jeeze - so much angst in this thread it was hard to pick out the useful information...

let's see - is my url rv.net ?!?
__________________

__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiverBob View Post
Here is a great resource for some practical information on batteries. Well written and easily understood.

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

After doing this stuff for 40 years (holy smoke, that long??? HORRORS. LOL), I can vouch for the double GC batteries outlasting the typical RV/Marine 12v by about 3 times as long. I dry camp a lot and use a 2000w inverter. I just replaced my Trojans that were 7 years old. I have run these now for the last 20 years in both my motorhomes and now, the fiver - - much better.

Bob
You said your Trojans, two 12 volt parallel or two six volt in series?
Thanks
__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post

You said your Trojans, two 12 volt parallel or two six volt in series?
Thanks
Trojan does make 12v deep cycle, but the "GC" designation refers to 6v Golf Cart batteries.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sarasota, Fl USA
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post
You said your Trojans, two 12 volt parallel or two six volt in series? Thanks
They are 6v. Contrary to some opinions, it seems the experts all tell us that parallel batteries need to be balanced. In other words, if a parallel battery shorts out (and you catch it quickly before it ruins the other one) and it has some age on it, you are probably best replacing both batteries. You do not necessarily need to replace both 6v batteries is one goes south. My experience with them is you can take the GC 6v down much deeper in discharge without hurting the unit. I have read, and find this true in my usage, that you can go deeper in discharge that the RV/Marine and recharge as much as ten times as many recharges in the life of the battery. Much tougher battery. Pick up a Trojan 105 and a RV/Marine of the same size - - the Trojan will be much heavier due to the thicker plates. That should tell us something. Try them - - ya'll will like them.

Bob
__________________
2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
MattC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 459
Johnboytoo,

It isn't so much Angst....
Those of us with bad experiences are trying to help others avoid the same bad experiences. Cleaning up after a battery explosion qualifies as a bad experience.

My regular advice to people that insist on paralleling "Marine" "Deep Cycle" batteries is to have baking soda on hand to clean up the acid.

In the little (smaller than 4D) world,
"Marine" means it has wing nuts and
"Deep Cycle" means it costs more.

I'm done doing work on other people's boats after 50+ years.

Matt
__________________
A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #35
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Johnboytoo,

It isn't so much Angst....
Those of us with bad experiences are trying to help others avoid the same bad experiences. Cleaning up after a battery explosion qualifies as a bad experience.

My regular advice to people that insist on paralleling "Marine" "Deep Cycle" batteries is to have baking soda on hand to clean up the acid.

In the little (smaller than 4D) world,
"Marine" means it has wing nuts and
"Deep Cycle" means it costs more.

I'm done doing work on other people's boats after 50+ years.


Matt
My new trailer came with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel, go figure. I am interested though in the GC system. Thanks
__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post

My new trailer came with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel, go figure. I am interested though in the GC system. Thanks
Anything that says "Marine" is a hybrid and not a true deep cycle. Same for any battery which displays CCA or MCA. A true deep cycle will be rated in AH. Two 12v marine batteries in parallel is not bad and you could do worse. It's just if you want more AHs for your $$ and more time before the need to run the genny, then a pair of GC-2s are for you.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
How about those optima gel cell batteries? Anyone know anything about those?
No such battery exists.., Optima is not GEL

Optima is AGM

And this is what I know about them.. For any given battery size class (IE: Group 27) Optima has about 60% the capacity of the same size Lifeline, or Interstate or ______ retangular cell battery.

They also cost more

This makes them the WORST bang for your buck, and a poor choice for RV use.. Less the RV is a 4-runner type or wave runner type run-float about that is going to be slamming over ruts, rocks bumps or waves and driven in the manner not suitable to RV driving.

(The optima is a very "Sturdy" design able to take more phsical punishment than other batteries)

I do not recommend them for RV use due to the capacity issue.. EXCEPTION... I have read from one poster for whom the WEIGHT of a standard battery was a problem but the optima being lighter, was not.

Still, way too muich money for way too little Amp hours.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

No such battery exists.., Optima is not GEL

Optima is AGM

And this is what I know about them.. For any given battery size class (IE: Group 27) Optima has about 60% the capacity of the same size Lifeline, or Interstate or ______ retangular cell battery.

They also cost more

This makes them the WORST bang for your buck, and a poor choice for RV use.. Less the RV is a 4-runner type or wave runner type run-float about that is going to be slamming over ruts, rocks bumps or waves and driven in the manner not suitable to RV driving.

(The optima is a very "Sturdy" design able to take more phsical punishment than other batteries)

I do not recommend them for RV use due to the capacity issue.. EXCEPTION... I have read from one poster for whom the WEIGHT of a standard battery was a problem but the optima being lighter, was not.

Still, way too muich money for way too little Amp hours.
Fair enough, I'm no battery expert. Learning lots from this thread. All I know for sure is that they can be mounted anywhere, even upside down and last 100x as long as a regular car battery. Not sure why they wouldn't just use a deep cycle one for stereo systems if they last longer. I had one 10 years ago and was told it was gel instead of lead acid which is why you can mount them upside down or under the back seat without issues.
__________________
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Fair enough, I'm no battery expert. Learning lots from this thread. All I know for sure is that they can be mounted anywhere, even upside down and last 100x as long as a regular car battery. Not sure why they wouldn't just use a deep cycle one for stereo systems if they last longer. I had one 10 years ago and was told it was gel instead of lead acid which is why you can mount them upside down or under the back seat without issues.
Our 2002 OEM batteries (Interstate U-2200's) lasted 1 month short of 10 years and actually had life left but we were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road. In 2004 I added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell too.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Enokie's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our 2002 OEM batteries (Interstate U-2200's) lasted 1 month short of 10 years and actually had life left but we were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road. In 2004 I added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell too.
was beginning to unwind the confusion ... almost there... then here you are with a new twist (to me)

Why the mineral oil? also how often and do you just add distilled water on top of it?

No one else has mentioned this and my thought is things won't rust... if they can..
__________________
Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #41
Member
 
Westwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 97
Interstate

Check out Interstate ECL Pro series, new product, I'm in the market to replace the battery on our FW and if I like what I hear I'm going to try one.
My Exide is chewing thru water like crazy. My buddy across the street is having the same problem with his. My previous Interstate would only need water once maybe twice a year. I'm putting water in the Exide every 4 weeks. My Progressive converter checks out so the battery is the problem.
__________________
Westwind
2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070RL, Trailer Saver BD3
2015 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE CC, Shortbed D/A
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
My Exide is chewing thru water like crazy. My buddy across the street is having the same problem with his. My previous Interstate would only need water once maybe twice a year. I'm putting water in the Exide every 4 weeks. My Progressive converter checks out so the battery is the problem.
When you say that your "converter checks out"; does that mean that your converter is maintaining your batteries at 13.5 volts??

You have to add water every 4 weeks, summer and winter??
__________________

__________________
Stan Birch
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T Ford V-10
Stan.Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.