Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Batteries

new to forum! I have been told to use 2 6 volt golf cart batteries instead of 2 -12 volt, ill have longer lasting and more power! has any body tried this and is it true?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

Welcome. Are you sure they don't mean to run 2 6 volt batteries for each 12 volt? If you have 2 batteries you have more amps to draw from. This will give you longer standby time. Hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

Lorenlitz,
hat is exactly true.
The simple problem is that lead/acid batteries do not play well in parallel.....
When they are in series (you know +of one - of the other and you get your 12V off the open ends) they can't mess with each other.

I do this all the time for the boats that I get paid a lot of money to work on (or did before the depression). You not only end up with more stable DC power, but in actual fact often a little more as the golf cart batteries are much more tolerant of deep discharges.

Matt
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenlitz View Post
new to forum! I have been told to use 2 6 volt golf cart batteries instead of 2 -12 volt, ill have longer lasting and more power! has any body tried this and is it true?
Yes it is true especially if any price consideration is taken. GC batteries are true Deep Cycle and two will give you 230 AHs. Although they make true deep cycle 12v, they are still more expensive and harder to find. You would still be hard pressed to get 2 that would equal the AHs. My pair of GCs are 7 years old and going strong. I have no doubt they'll last 10 years. However, the key to battery life is how you maintain them. You can get 2 GCs for $89 each at Sam's or Costco. MH mfgs have been using 6v GC batteries for years as standard equipment in some models.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #5

PRICE is the ONLY reason to go with GC 6V batteries instead of a single 12V REAL DEEP cycle pair of batteries (like Group31). There is a SIGNIFICANT advantage in a pair of 12V batteries instead of a pair of 6V batteries. IF ONE BATTERY FAILS...you still can run things in the coach.. Not true if one of a pair of 6V. There is also the extra complication of the 6v jumper wire.

The main reason for 6V being so popular is that they DO perform well AND because costco and sams sells them at great prices but do NOT sell TRUE 12V deep cycle batteries...so there is a significant cost difference between available wet cell GC batteries and wet cell 12V batteries. If wet cells are right for you then there's good reason to consider the 6V's...especially if you're building a bank of four where a single battery failure won't leave you up the creek.

If instead, you are building an AGM system...I've shown elsewhere here that you can get more amp hours per dollar in a 12V system since costco and sams don't play in that arena.

The notion that 12V batteries don't play well together in parallel is specious and unsupported by any data or any battery mfr.
MY own 40 years on boats and 6 years living FULL time on battery power at anchor using a bank of 4-8D's belies that claim as well.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
PRICE is the ONLY reason to go with GC 6V batteries instead of a single 12V REAL DEEP cycle pair of batteries (like Group31). There is a SIGNIFICANT advantage in a pair of 12V batteries instead of a pair of 6V batteries. IF ONE BATTERY FAILS...you still can run things in the coach.. Not true if one of a pair of 6V. There is also the extra complication of the 6v jumper wire.

The notion that 12V batteries don't play well together in parallel is specious and unsupported by any data or any battery mfr.
MY own 40 years on boats and 6 years living FULL time on battery power at anchor using a bank of 4-8D's belies that claim as well.
Not really.

With batteries in parallel, if one has failed, it will cause the other one to fail rather very soon unless you disconnect the bad one. Also while jumper wires are not much of a complication, the 6V series system uses one jumper while the 12V parallel system requires two.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone tried this: Many, standard in my Motor home.

Some battery facts:
Batteries (Of the type we are discussing) are either Starting, Marine, Marine/Deep cycle or True Deep Cycle.

The most common 6 volt battery is the CG-2 Golf car battery (Sold under many names and numbers) this is a TRUE DEEP Cycle.

Fact: The farther down you run a battery, the faster it ages. However where starting batteries like to be right close to full (Say 80% as an example) and Marine/Deep cycle, being mostly starting batteries but a bit more capable of discharge (Say 75% full) True deep cycle the point where they really start to age is closer to 50%. Some even less.

So the six volt golf car battery is a good choice, also because they make so many of them (Golf courses from coast to coast buy 'em by the pallet load) they are low cost.

They do, however require a bit of attention from time to time.

Now As to the line about lasting longer and more power. .Many say that, however I am aware that 12 volt batteries can be had in many sizes.. The 8D size for example, can be had in a true deep cycle, and just one of them is a match for a pair of GC-2's.. They do weigh a bit more than say a Group 24 though (IN fact they weigh slightly more than a pair of GC-2's) And I've used 12 volt batteries that weigh right close to the cargo carrying capacity of my motor home on occasion (Years before I bought the MH though).

But when it comes to the best "Bang for your buck" as one car magazine puts it when they rate sports cars (Jeeps usually win, not all that many bucks, Lots and Lots of Bang)

The GC-2 is ... Not easy to beat.

It is thus what I recommend.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenlitz View Post
Yes, BUT what are you using the trailer for?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Very good question.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Silly me, I just assumed he was going to use it for camping. To the OP, if you are going to use it for a chicken coup or dog house, you don't even need batteries. Just keep it plugged in 24/7 and the converter will supply the needed 12vdc. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and get the GCs.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Silly me, I just assumed he was going to use it for camping. To the OP, if you are going to use it for a chicken coup or dog house, you don't even need batteries. Just keep it plugged in 24/7 and the converter will supply the needed 12vdc. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and get the GCs.
Silly me, I assumed that it would matter if it was being lived in with shore power 24/7, or weekend trips, or full timing, or 24/7 boondocking. I do apologize.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #12

How about those optima gel cell batteries? Anyone know anything about those?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Silly me, I assumed that it would matter if it was being lived in with shore power 24/7, or weekend trips, or full timing, or 24/7 boondocking. I do apologize.
IMHO it doesn't. If he needs new batteries, there will be times he runs them flat. If they're starting batteries, doing that a few times and they are toast. Marine hybrids would be better, but they can't take the cycling like a GC-2 and don't have the AH. So for only a few bucks cheaper, why even recommend these to a new RVer. There is certainly no disadvantage using GC-2 when bouncing CG to CG and they could save his butt in a power outage. Besides all that, he indicated an interest in having more power and reliability. He also may add an inverter (if he doesn't already have on) in the future.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
How about those optima gel cell batteries? Anyone know anything about those?
Gel batteries are generally not recommend and their use is declining across the board. The future is AGMs, they are just too expensive at this point for their wide use by the general public. Once the price comes down, wet cells will be phased out for most applications.

Tags
batteries