Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #1

Hi, I am in Quartzite now. The story is, Interstate batteries, golf cart u-2200 are 232 AH, compared to Trojan 105s at 225 AH. I went to Yuma and bought them (Interstates) for $89, compared to Trojans $149 here. The rest of the story is the engineer of the trojans works for Interstate now. Therefore the Interstates are the same weight #64 and the same # of plates. My trojans were 6 years old. Why didn't I buy them again??????? DUH!!! I guess the $$$$.
What do you think???
THANKS!
Billy M

Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #2

Hi, I am in Quartzite now. The story is, Interstate batteries, golf cart u-2200 are 232 AH, compared to Trojan 105s at 225 AH. I went to Yuma and bought them (Interstates) for $89, compared to Trojans $149 here. The rest of the story is the engineer of the trojans works for Interstate now. Therefore the Interstates are the same weight #64 and the same # of plates. My trojans were 6 years old. Why didn't I buy them again??????? DUH!!! I guess the $$$$.
What do you think???
THANKS!
Billy M

Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #3

Figure that anything batteries is +/- 15% or more. AH energy capacity, cost, life expectancy, current handling capability, whatever.

Lead acid battery manufacturing is a mature process and the differences between brands is less than the differences between models in a manufacturer's line (like, say, the T105 vs T145).

The life span of the batteries is going to depend more upon how you use and maintain them than anything else (including brand). As Wind Sun says about 5 - 7 years is typical for lead acid batteries. That is the mean, the extremes run from a few seconds or so to perhaps 15 years.

There is also a lot of passion in this area. Some people take great offense that their brand may seem slighted or that their favorite way of doing things may have competitors or that you can't expect a precision of 10E-6 -

For me, a good battery designed for my intended use from a reputable retailer who sells a lot of those batteries and stands behind them coupled with proper management and use on my end is what I use to decide what to purchase.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #4

You would probably be amazed at how few battery manufacturers there are in this country. One manufacturer makes batteries for a bunch of different retailers.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #5

You may want to check the voltage on the converter/charger, and also if you continually discharge even the best ones past about 60% it reduces their expected life cycles.

If you shop around, you might be able to pick up some T125's or T145's on sale.

Lastly, I've run into people who've said their batteries have lasted 9 years or whatever, but I think if you did the math they are getting a small fraction of their rated amp hours out of them...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you continually discharge even the best ones past about 60% it reduces their expected life cycles.
people who've said their batteries have lasted 9 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The studies I have seen indicate that 50% state of charge is about optimum for battery life (e.g. batteryuniversity.com, if I recall correctly). Batteries need exercise to keep the sulfate from collecting. That is also why they need to be cycled at least 10% to 15% down when used.

RV/Marine batteries should be able to handle several hundred cycles that take them down between 15% and 50%. I have seen very few RV lifestyles that exercise batteries that much over a 5 year period! (most I see use batteries maybe 10 times a year or 50 - 100 cycles in a 5 year period).

From Az Wind Sun and other places, it appears that 5 - 7 years is an average life for lead acid wet cell batteries. A life longer than this usually means not much time sitting, prompt and vigorous recharging, and good use practice.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Batteries should be fully charged as soon as possible after use, especially before non-use of your RV for even a few days. Sulfate happens when a battery is stored in a less-than-fully charged state. I shopped for batteries this week and the best battery and price combination I found was at Sams Club at $63.00 ea. for the Interstate golf-cart units (excluding taxes).

Happy travels,

Sparetire
Old 02-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replys. I have also been to batteryuniversity.com, and others. I agree with all the info about 50% discharge.
I also read that new batteries don't (FULLY) charge til about 5+ charges. These Interstates have done that and there is a huge difference from the 6 year old Trojans. They charged up but just wouldn't hold. Tired I guess!!
Just got my converter upgrade kit, 1000 watt inverter, and a book (managing 12 volts) from Randy at "bestconverter.com". GREAT SERVICE!! Ya don't have to push 1 for english, and someone you can understand answers the phone.
Thanks Again!!
Billy M

Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #9

If you have Progressive Dynamics inverter, a Charge Wizard will work wonders for your battries.
The model 9200 comes with one installed. If you have the 9100 you need to plug one in. They are about $25.00, and worth many times that.
The 9200 should have a pendant so you can check your battries. And you will find that you might have to add water maybe once a year.
I don't have any stock in this company.
Nuff Said,
Lee
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have a Charge Wizard also and it is great. I ruined a Interstate battery that came with the fiver. It boiled the water out and I did not check the batery often enough. I now got two batterys from Walmart and one is several years old and still good.
Tom
Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #11

Staggerlee!!
Thanks for the reply.
I was going to replace my Magnetek converter with the Progressive Dynamics (with built in charge wizard), until i found the WFCO conversion for my 45 amp Magnetek (HUMMER) from Best Converter. It has the multi-stage technology BUILT-IN. It has the (13.2 float, 13.6 normal, and 14.4 boost). Works great, and has picture to picture easy install. I highly recommend this upgrade and the place I purchased it.
I never leave my rig plugged in at home anyway as i have 120 watt solar with a good controller.
Thanks
Billy M