Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Batteries for a 5th wheel

Which arrangement is better when dry camping and electrical hook up is about 50/50, two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries. I have a generator we use when needed. I have to replace my batteries which are 12 volt and would appreciate other thoughts on the subject.

Thank you

davtil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
I am assuming these batteries are not used to start a vehicle engine. In that case 2 6 volt golf cart batteries would be the way to go. They are designed for 80% draw down them charge.

2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
For coach batteries, 6v are better than 12v.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
What you really have to look at is the Amp Hour rating of each battery bank. Manufacturers make deep cycle batteries in all sorts of different voltages. 2v, 4v, 6v, 8v and 12v. Always look at the AHr ratings and ensure you compare apples to apples. Some batteries are rated on a 20 hour draw others are on a 100 hour draw. The 20 hr draw is a more accurate rating as it puts a larger load on the battery to determine its strength. You need to determine how many AHrs your total system will have and then you will know which is actually the "bigger" bank. This of course assumes you are looking at similar technologies from reputible manufacturers.

2 x 6V 200 Ahr batteries connected in series = 1 x 12v 200 AHr bank
2 x 12v 100 Ahr batteries connected in parallel = 1 x 12v 200 AHr bank

So in this case these two banks would be the same!
djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Originally Posted by djkarau View Post
2 x 6V 200 Ahr batteries connected in series = 1 x 12v 200 AHr bank
2 x 12v 100 Ahr batteries connected in parallel = 1 x 12v 200 AHr bank

So in this case these two banks would be the same!
True, but the 6v batteries (especially golf cart models) will last much longer than the 12v batteries.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
I have two 6V golf cart batteries. The wife and I spent 5 nights dry camping at Glacier last year. By the time we left we still had half our battery life. If you do a lot of dry camping, these are the way to go.
Dave & Robin
2006 Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab
2008 Fleetwood Prowler 235RL
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
I live off the grid in northern Canada, I rely on my battery bank to live.

The only batteries I would buy are Rolls by Surrette.

Renewable Energy Product Line | Rolls Battery

A pair of any of the batteries in section B would be great for a 12v system and give you plenty of power, especially with a solar panel attached to them.

As stated above the 12v batteries are fine, however, a pair of 6v are your best bang for the buck.

djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote