Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

Question Batteries-hydrometer reading.

I tested the two batteries and the reading came up in each cell as between 1225 and 1250, also read Fair.

Can I depend on my batteries (Interstate) for awhile? No corrosion. Both look brand new/clean. They are 4 years old.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Paty,
This is from the Trojan Battery Company on specific gravity tests. Before you give up on the batteries try equalizing them.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paty View Post
Can I depend on my batteries (Interstate) for awhile?
You probably can as long as they're not starting batteries. If they're your house batteries they may work for a long time yet, but you'll notice the lights won't be quite as bright and your water pump won't run as fast. Being a DC motor, low voltage is not going to hurt it or the lights though. But you probably shouldn't try to run the refrigerator. If they're weak, the fridge will drain them very quickly.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #4

To properly test with a hydrometer you should have a temperature compensating hydrometer. No more expensive to buy but harder to find. I found mine on the internet.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #5

hydrometer types

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
To properly test with a hydrometer you should have a temperature compensating hydrometer. No more expensive to buy but harder to find. I found mine on the internet.
Have a compensating hydrometer. Just lucked out that is what I purchased, as at that time I didn't know about temp. compensating.

If shopping for one online Google EZRed.

Lifetime warranty.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
You probably can as long as they're not starting batteries. If they're your house batteries they may work for a long time yet, but you'll notice the lights won't be quite as bright and your water pump won't run as fast. Being a DC motor, low voltage is not going to hurt it or the lights though. But you probably shouldn't try to run the refrigerator. If they're weak, the fridge will drain them very quickly.
House batteries. And yep, am running the fridge off of them also
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Just to be sure,
You are positive the batteries were fully charged prior to the mesurement correct? Like indicated in the Table on the Trojan site, those numbers indicate approximately 80% capacity. Is that due to not being fully charged or the most they can accept?

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

Equalizing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi Paty,
This is from the Trojan Battery Company on specific gravity tests. Before you give up on the batteries try equalizing them.

Don't have a charger. I understand not all chargers have an equalization setting, which one needs.

Interesting articles...thanks!!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #9

Charged state of batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Just to be sure,
You are positive the batteries were fully charged prior to the mesurement correct? Like indicated in the Table on the Trojan site, those numbers indicate approximately 80% capacity. Is that due to not being fully charged or the most they can accept?

Dave
No to your first question. I was new to RVs when I had to make one my home. Batteries came with it. As I stated in another reply, I do not have a charger with equalization settings (or a charger at all). Batteries are trickle charged via being on A/C electricity full time. Yes saw the table. Unless a charger was made available, I guess I'll have to accept 80%.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #10

Many later model converters have 3 stage charging capability. Are you able to determine what converter you have?

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #11

That is not unusual for the low-end converter/chargers. They will not charge at a rate to "top-off" a battery charge. You might borrow a battery charger that will re-charge your batteries to a full charge. Pull the negative cable to protect sensitive electronics. Battery Basics might help explain things. An equalization charge is nothing more than leaving the charger running for a few hours longer than reaching full-charge as read by your hydrometer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #12

Question Type of converter

Quote:
Many later model converters have 3 stage charging capability. Are you able to determine what converter you have?

Dave
Much info on the panel. Anything specific I should look for, to determine what converter I have?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #13

Not sure who Keyystone used for their AC/DC distribution panel and 12VDC converter. Could be Progressive Dynamics, WFCO, or Parallax to name just a few. As you can see here BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics there are a lot of possibilities. Would need to know what converter manufacture and model number you have in order to say what abilities you have. The owners manual at the Keystone site did not list the information.

Dave
Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #14

Converter info.

Quote:
Not sure who Keyystone used for their AC/DC distribution panel and 12VDC converter. Could be Progressive Dynamics, WFCO, or Parallax to name just a few. As you can see here BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics there are a lot of possibilities. Would need to know what converter manufacture and model number you have in order to say what abilities you have. The owners manual at the Keystone site did not list the information.

Dave
Keystone is pretty mum,on most of their RV info.

Ok Converter info. (Possibly more than needed)

World Friendship Co., LTD
Model WF-8955AN w/Plastic
Power Converter with panel 70VF

Electrical Rating:
Panel Input 120VAC
60Hz 30am
Converter Input 105-130 VAC, 950 watts
Output 13.6 VDC
55 Amp including charging and load.