Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Bay Hill 340RK - a few general questions

Hi All;

We are brand new to RVing and have decided (almost) to purchase the Bay Hill 340RK (just shy of 40 ft long) as our first 5th wheel.

Before we do, I have a few questions I'm looking for some input from actual owners of the units or others with experience as well ...

1) All of the 340RK 5th wheels I found have come with only 1 A/C unit. Everything I have read about says that you need 2 A/C for a unit this size. Does anyone have experience with the ability of the 1 A/C unit to adequately cool the coach? We would probably be hitting the 100+ temps (or close to it) when camping.

2) All of the 340RK units I found have no Fantastic or Maxxair fans in the coaches. No fans at all for that matter (other than the bathroom) And again, everything I have read is that these fans are almost a necessity to displace air inside the coach. Any comments on this?

3) I have heard that RK models tend to move the dishes (etc) around more so than other models (say over railroad crossings, etc) as they are in the rear of the coach and travel down the road. Any comments on this?

4) Lastly, we will be towing with a 2015, F350 Platinum, 6.7 SRW. We are well within the legal limits of the towing and capacity numbers but I'm curious as to how the SRW trucks handle 5th wheels of this size in the wind.

I understand that I could add a 2nd A/C and additional fans however I'm not a fan of adding aftermarket stuff when you have to cut into the body to accommodate also that a dually is much better for stability but as our camping season is barely 4 months I really don't want to drive a dually in the city for the remaining year when not camping.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Mark
We there Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by We there Yet View Post

1) All of the 340RK 5th wheels I found have come with only 1 A/C unit. Everything I have read about says that you need 2 A/C for a unit this size. Does anyone have experience with the ability of the 1 A/C unit to adequately cool the coach? We would probably be hitting the 100+ temps (or close to it) when camping.
Our Montana is 38'+ and we've only one AC. While others have said the same about just having to get a second, I've replaced all the very hot AC and DC lights with LED ones and cut pieces of Mylar coated bubble insulation to fit all the windows. With this, and the awning out, we've gotten through over 100 degree heat and the AC achieves a good 18 degree drop from outside temps. Don't get to see much outside, but this is only for extremes. Even if you get a second AC (and then HAVE to have 50 amp service), without doing all the rest like we have, you'll still only get about a 20 to 24 degree drop at most.

2) All of the 340RK units I found have no Fantastic or Maxxair fans in the coaches. No fans at all for that matter (other than the bathroom) And again, everything I have read is that these fans are almost a necessity to displace air inside the coach. Any comments on this?
We've a Fantastic fan, but don't use it much. If the weather is moderate outside and you're getting a lot of solar heat gain, it will help cool the inside. It will help move moist air out in cold weather though. What we've found more valuable is our ceiling fan. I just replaced the seriously cheap stock one that only had one speed with a big box store residential one that has three speeds.

3) I have heard that RK models tend to move the dishes (etc) around more so than other models (say over railroad crossings, etc) as they are in the rear of the coach and travel down the road. Any comments on this? Don't know about your specific model, but I've seen comments on similar floor plan Montana units. Using non-slip rubber mesh between plates and other stuff like corrugated cardboard or bubble wrap helps a lot.

4) Lastly, we will be towing with a 2015, F350 Platinum, 6.7 SRW. We are well within the legal limits of the towing and capacity numbers but I'm curious as to how the SRW trucks handle 5th wheels of this size in the wind.
I'm sure others have done this, but I'd never be without a dually for a big 5er.

I understand that I could add a 2nd A/C and additional fans however I'm not a fan of adding aftermarket stuff when you have to cut into the body to accommodate also that a dually is much better for stability but as our camping season is barely 4 months I really don't want to drive a dually in the city for the remaining year when not camping.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Mark
Isn't the Bayhill already set up for a 2nd AC? If not, is it prewired for a washer/dryer? You might want to look at an indoor AC unit, sticking it into wherever the washer/dryer was supposed to go for traveling. Just have to figure out how to vent it, but that's only the same size as a dryer vent.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #3

You will need 2 AC and a kitchen fan tio exhaust heat is a must. Look at Genuine RV web site. They havea really good website
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Thanks very much Walt.

Couple additional questions for you.
I'm not overly concerned about the 1 A/C unit throughout the day as if we are inside, that unit should cool the main living space fine. What I am concerned about is at night in the bedroom and will that 1 A/C unit have enough flow through to cool the bedroom. Salesman said that each vent inside is individually ducted to the main A/C unit so you don't lose the airflow to vents along the way but my question is would it have enough fan speed power to push it say "30" feet away from the main A/C?

Thanks for the comment on the Fans ... I have 2 - 60" overhead fans in my home and they move the air very well.

And, thanks on the movement the dishes. Never thought of using a non-slip mat.

I know a guy that runs SRW with a 40+ unit. While he agrees that the dually offers a more stable feel, he is confident that I would be ok. Not having towed before I guess I was hoping to get a sense of "yes the wind is something to be aware of" or "you really need a dually"?

I'm petty sure that the unit is pre-wire for the second A/C but to be honest, I struggle with paying $115k for the 5th wheel and then having to add another few thousand for the 2nd A/C.

Jackknife: Sorry I should have been more clear. We are in Canada, If I got the website correct, the Genuine RV is a bit far for me to purchase.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

1. According to the Lifestyle web site, Bay Hills come with 2 a/c.
2. Apparently the 340RK has only the bathroom fan.
3. I have had a RK 5th wheel and had no problems with stuff in the rear.
4. You might need to look at your numbers again to be sure about your weight capacities. In any case you are going to have a tough time with a 16K trailer.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #6

Thanks George;

Curious on your #4 ... I have been told that I can use the UVW of ~12,100 of the trailer and a typical load into the trailer is ~1500 lbs of stuff for a ~13,600 total. My truck tow capacity is 15,700.

Was that some incorrect information ?

(I'm 90% certain that we won't be doing any back country camping so will be running light with water)
Old 02-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
1. According to the Lifestyle web site, Bay Hills come with 2 a/c.
2. Apparently the 340RK has only the bathroom fan.
3. I have had a RK 5th wheel and had no problems with stuff in the rear.
4. You might need to look at your numbers again to be sure about your weight capacities. In any case you are going to have a tough time with a 16K trailer.
The 2016 late models have been updated to include 2nd A/C. It was an option before. Also the Fantastic fans are an option or were. A lot depends on how the dealer orders it in. Thermopane windows are a necessity esp. if you are with only 1 A/C. I have a 2016 Bay Hill 375RE and these are now standard on the 375. Also the MCD roller shades are now standard. Ours is a very late model year, just getting finished the 18th of December 2015.
Also ours weighs 13339 empty with 164++ fully loaded.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

If you are going to be using the trailer unloaded (no propane or water in the system, no options, etc) you can use the unloaded rate. I always use the GVW as that is the max the trailer should ever weigh and is more real IMHO. I have had a 14K trailer with a SRW truck. Most times it was ok but when you get into those extra ordinary situations like strong winds in ND you will be wishing you had a DRW truck. There is more to a DRW truck than just two extra wheels. I have been around RV forums for a long time and your questions and figures are not new. Dont try to rationalize what you can haul safely to fit the truck you have. I am not the weight police. I have been there too.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, ever-lite, evergreen, everlite, i-go